Johns Hopkins University Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.8

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

Brief - asked about my previous research. They assumed they knew everything about me from my CV - this was a terrible assumption. They were more interested in telling me about what they do and everything I could become involved with. If I could go back, I would ask about previous post-docs (what they did, how long they were there, frequency of publication, why they left, and what they are doing now) and I wouldn't take the job without a career development plan.

Interview Questions

• I was not asked difficult questions - explain this project, how did you do that, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was offered the minimum post-doc salary. This was a 20% pay cut for me. I said I can't take a 20% pay cut and they came up to my current salary. I have received a 2% raise each year.

Prospect Research Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in June 2015.

Interview

Both interviewers focuses a lot on working with difficult people and it was apparent there are a lot of conflicts in the workplace, based on the questions, I decided not to pursue position. It was clear this office had a lot of issues working with other departments.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you disagreed with a colleague.   1 Answer

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in April 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume through a recruiter. I was contacted for a phone interview. They asked tell me about yourself and why do you think you are qualified for the position. Then I had an in-person interview with the senior recruiter. I was referred to a full panel interview in Baltimore. They said they would call me about next steps within a week.

Interview Questions

• In less than 5 minutes tell us about your background and how it led you here today.   Answer Question

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

I was originally supposed to meet with 2 people for the interview; on the day of the interview, one of them was out sick. I met with the head of the department, but the questions asked were very vague. I enjoyed the interview though and thought it went well. I was told I would hear from someone to reschedule the meeting with the sick individual, but never heard back. A week later, I received a thanks, but no thanks email. Looking back, it sounds like they already had an individual in mind for the position, but were doing due diligence in interviewing others, who never even had a chance for the job.

University Administration Aide Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

There were three phases--a phone interview and then two separate in-person interviews. The first was with the hiring manager, who described the job and asked questions about resume. The second was a panel interview. Was disappointed with the low-ball salary offered in exchange for skills/qualifications possessed. No opportunity for raises. Would have to answer e-mails in evening, which would dilute low pay further. Not to mention the costs of "benefits" which would also reduce net pay. Unfair. And, I had to decline.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

By phone. Simple questions about your résumé first. Then, some questions on your personal background. Overall, a very relaxed interview. To note, you really have to be prepared to show that you know a lot about the field of the work that you are applying for.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview

Applied online, completed an interview via Skype by two members of the department, and then was interviewed in person by three members of the department. In-person interview lasted about one hour. Date of application to date of offer was very long - over 2 months. This job was posted without a salary range, unusual for Hopkins.

Interview Questions

• Don't recall. None of the questions were particularly challenging.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Hopkins does not pay very well for most positions. I did not get what I requested when I started.

Research Technologist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in November 2014.

Interview

After I applied for the Research Technologist position with JHU, I was contacted a week or two later by the Director of the laboratory by email in which a phone interview was setup.The actual phone interview didn't feel like an interview at all. The Director gave more detail about what the position was and what it entailed and asked if I was still interested. When I said I was, a formal interview was scheduled. The formal interview was fairly easygoing as it was an an entry-level position I had applied for, and the Director was very kind. Emphasis was on experience with questions like: it says here on your resume that you were involved in this project. Can you tell me more about your role and what you did? In addition, they were also interested in the coursework that I had taken that was relevant to the job. I met with several members of the laboratory and got to ask questions in which they were helpful. The interview was also more listening than talking. They want to inform you of their research goals to see if it's worth pursuing for you. I'd suggest becoming familiar with their research by reading journal articles so you can not only keep up with them, but you can ask relevant and "smart" questions. Therefore, if you know your resume inside out, you will ace this interview. The position was offered to me by email the same day as the interview. However, I still sent thank you notes by email or LinkedIn with everyone I interviewed with. The hiring process was far less easy. Many, many, many forms are required for hire, and I cannot tell you how many times I filled out the same form more than twice. Be prepared to do background checks and drug tests and the like. The entire process took a little over a month.

Interview Questions

• On this interview, there were no tricky questions because it was an entry level position, and they were desperate.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Although the interview process was easy, I did not stay long with JHU due to the unfriendliness of the staff. I hope your experience fairs better than mine.

Research Technologist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview

Applied through HR. Emailed directly by the PI and asked if I would be available for a phone call. Contacted by PI for phone interview where I was asked about my previous research as an undergraduate student, specifically in regards to the research I might be doing in the lab. At the end of the call, I was invited for in-person interview the next week. Drove up to Hopkins and interviewed with PI of the lab, then met with lab manager and senior techs, finally closed interview with PI. The entire interview took roughly 2-3 hrs and everyone was very pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult questions were the probings about my future research as an undergrad, and even those were not too technical or difficult. Most of the interview was just getting to know me and making sure my very recent B.S. in Biology gave me enough knowledge to start working in a lab at an entry level position.   Answer Question

Senior Research Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in September 2014.

Interview

the hiring process includes 2 steps, first, you need to interview with HR, this step includes behavioral questions, about an hour long. then you will meet with your future employer, regarding the specialty knowledge, about one hour as well. Some people got another chance to meet with the employer again or the future team member as well.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a situation that you solved a difficult problem.   Answer Question