Johns Hopkins University

Updated Nov 15, 2014

2.8

How IS the Hiring Process Set-up? Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through other source. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

After over 500+ resumes & job applications but never a call back or interview I am 100% confused with how JHHS & JHU handle the recruitment process. I could totally understand if I were applying for positions I'm unqualified for but that is so not the case here. I don't get it, am frustrated and am turned off.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

I went through a round of interviews there and had an unpleasant experience with an hr person. I could tell she didn't see the value in interviewing me and told me, in fact, that some of the experience listed on my resume was irrelevant. Throughout the interview she never smiled and seemed confused/not open to anything I had to say. She even rated my responses on a numerical scale in front of me, in plain view.

When I was finally declined, the response I received was copy and pasted in different fonts. It was a pretty disheartening experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about an experience in which you had to challenge authority.   Answer Question

M S In Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in April 2013.

Be ready for common questions

Senior Associate Director of Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in October 2012.

Several initial screenings and phone interviews. Invited me for a full day (9am - 4pm) spent meeting with a dozen or so people at all levels. Felt it went very well. Everyone was very friendly and positive and encouraging. Was very surprised when I was told I was not moving forward in the process, based on my experiences during the interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a gift that you didn't close and why it didn't work out.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in June 2009.

They required two writing samples, one phone interview in French, followed by an in person interview in English in front of a panel. They didn't seem to know what it was they were looking for, and were stalling on hiring someone because funding for the project hadn't yet come through.

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in March 2012.

First half of the interview was behavioral asking mainly about experiences on my resume. Second half I was asked to answer a few questions on a whiteboard about some signal processing.

Interview Questions
    • What does a pulse wave look like in the frequency domain   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in January 2011.

The interview lasted for two days. I talked with about 20 different people, each one for about 30 min. The people here are generally nice. However, they might ask you some trick questions. The questions differ person by person. I also had to give two different seminars, one about my current work and the other about my future plan.

Helpdesk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in November 2011.

Found the job through staffing agency. Great workplace, very kind staff and managers. An overall pleasant experience even though I didn't get the job. They kind of overdid it with an almost 2 hour interview, made me repeat the same things to almost all of the staff, since they interviewed me seperately, but I guess it's just how they work.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had an unhappy customer on the phone. How did you deal with it?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any questions about this company?   Answer Question

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in September 2013.

First interview was just with the HR representative and included 4 computer tests, proofreading, MS Word, MS Excel, and writing. Interview questions were fairly typical for an HR interview. Was asked to come back for a second interview at the end of this one.
    Second interview was a week later with the Director and an employee who previously held the same position. Was a pretty casual interview. No real grilling or formal questions. More interested in my experience and how it applied to the position. Got a follow up phone call from HR a day or two later for a third interview.
    Third interview was a week after the second and was a group interview that involed the rest of the department, 6 employees. About 3 of the employees had a fair number of questions, others were more quiet. Some felt more formal, others more relaxed.
    Through the entire process, HR was good about sending confirmation emails including the names and titles of all the interview participants.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was too unexpected. The HR questions were more the formal interview type. The rest were more relaxed.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. The HR rep asked me about salary in the beginning and they actually offered me more than I initially requested.

Senior Human Resources Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Two interviews - human resources department and hiring department (usually at two different locations). Complete human resources documentation and in some instances software tests.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me why you would want to work at Johns Hopkins University.   View Answer
    Salary