Johns Hopkins University

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
59 candidate interviews

How IS the Hiring Process Set-up? Interview

How IS the Hiring Process Set-up?
Baltimore, MD

I applied through other source and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview Details – After over 500+ resumes & job applications but never a call back or interview I am 100% confused with how JHHS & JHU handle the recruitment process. I could totally understand if I were applying for positions I'm unqualified for but that is so not the case here. I don't get it, am frustrated and am turned off.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

I applied online and interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview Details – I went through a round of interviews there and had an unpleasant experience with an hr person. I could tell she didn't see the value in interviewing me and told me, in fact, that some of the experience listed on my resume was irrelevant. Throughout the interview she never smiled and seemed confused/not open to anything I had to say. She even rated my responses on a numerical scale in front of me, in plain view.

When I was finally declined, the response I received was copy and pasted in different fonts. It was a pretty disheartening experience.

Interview Question – Tell me about an experience in which you had to challenge authority.   Answer Question

M S In Finance Interview

M S In Finance
Baltimore, MD

I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in April 2013.

Interview Details – Be ready for common questions

Interview Question – What is the worst of MSF program?   Answer Question

Senior Associate Director of Development Interview

Senior Associate Director of Development
Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in October 2012.

Interview Details – Several initial screenings and phone interviews. Invited me for a full day (9am - 4pm) spent meeting with a dozen or so people at all levels. Felt it went very well. Everyone was very friendly and positive and encouraging. Was very surprised when I was told I was not moving forward in the process, based on my experiences during the interviews.

Interview Question – Tell us about a gift that you didn't close and why it didn't work out.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Baltimore, MD

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in June 2009.

Interview Details – They required two writing samples, one phone interview in French, followed by an in person interview in English in front of a panel. They didn't seem to know what it was they were looking for, and were stalling on hiring someone because funding for the project hadn't yet come through.

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern
Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in March 2012.

Interview Details – First half of the interview was behavioral asking mainly about experiences on my resume. Second half I was asked to answer a few questions on a whiteboard about some signal processing.

Interview Question – What does a pulse wave look like in the frequency domain   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Engineering

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in January 2011.

Interview Details – The interview lasted for two days. I talked with about 20 different people, each one for about 30 min. The people here are generally nice. However, they might ask you some trick questions. The questions differ person by person. I also had to give two different seminars, one about my current work and the other about my future plan.

Helpdesk Interview

Helpdesk
Baltimore, MD

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in November 2011.

Interview Details – Found the job through staffing agency. Great workplace, very kind staff and managers. An overall pleasant experience even though I didn't get the job. They kind of overdid it with an almost 2 hour interview, made me repeat the same things to almost all of the staff, since they interviewed me seperately, but I guess it's just how they work.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had an unhappy customer on the phone. How did you deal with it?   Answer Question
  • Do you have any questions about this company?   Answer Question

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Administrative Coordinator
Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in September 2013.

Interview Details – First interview was just with the HR representative and included 4 computer tests, proofreading, MS Word, MS Excel, and writing. Interview questions were fairly typical for an HR interview. Was asked to come back for a second interview at the end of this one.
Second interview was a week later with the Director and an employee who previously held the same position. Was a pretty casual interview. No real grilling or formal questions. More interested in my experience and how it applied to the position. Got a follow up phone call from HR a day or two later for a third interview.
Third interview was a week after the second and was a group interview that involed the rest of the department, 6 employees. About 3 of the employees had a fair number of questions, others were more quiet. Some felt more formal, others more relaxed.
Through the entire process, HR was good about sending confirmation emails including the names and titles of all the interview participants.

Interview Question – Nothing was too unexpected. The HR questions were more the formal interview type. The rest were more relaxed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. The HR rep asked me about salary in the beginning and they actually offered me more than I initially requested.

Senior Human Resources Assistant Interview

Senior Human Resources Assistant

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview Details – Two interviews - human resources department and hiring department (usually at two different locations). Complete human resources documentation and in some instances software tests.

Interview Question – Tell me why you would want to work at Johns Hopkins University.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salary

Interviews for Top Jobs at Johns Hopkins University

Worked for Johns Hopkins University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Johns Hopkins University interview questions and advice. All 59 interview reviews posted anonymously by Johns Hopkins University employees and interview candidates.