Johns Hopkins University Interview Questions

Updated Apr 6, 2015
Updated Apr 6, 2015

2.8

Research Program Assistant II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in May 2014.

Interview

I did a phone screen. I received and email a week later to do a face to face interview with the P.I., Research Program Manager, and Research Program Coordinator. I had the interview and I sent a thank you email. They told me that the would check my references. Two weeks later I was offered the job.

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process was quite straight forward and easy. I liked the person who interviewed me because he was very friendly. The interview lasted for less than an hour and it was more of behavioural questions than technical one, though a little bit of technical questions.

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in August 2014.

Interview

Multiple interviews were required beginning with an informal phone interview. After that I had a preliminary in person interview, and then moved on to a final interview where I met with multiple team members and got a real feel for the company.Overall it allowed me to get a good sense of how the office was run and to let me get a good idea of who I would be working with.

Interview Questions

• What makes you interested in working for Johns Hopkins University?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

By phone. Simple questions about your résumé first. Then, some questions on your personal background. Overall, a very relaxed interview. To note, you really have to be prepared to show that you know a lot about the field of the work that you are applying for.

Research Technologist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in November 2014.

Interview

After I applied for the Research Technologist position with JHU, I was contacted a week or two later by the Director of the laboratory by email in which a phone interview was setup.The actual phone interview didn't feel like an interview at all. The Director gave more detail about what the position was and what it entailed and asked if I was still interested. When I said I was, a formal interview was scheduled. The formal interview was fairly easygoing as it was an an entry-level position I had applied for, and the Director was very kind. Emphasis was on experience with questions like: it says here on your resume that you were involved in this project. Can you tell me more about your role and what you did? In addition, they were also interested in the coursework that I had taken that was relevant to the job. I met with several members of the laboratory and got to ask questions in which they were helpful. The interview was also more listening than talking. They want to inform you of their research goals to see if it's worth pursuing for you. I'd suggest becoming familiar with their research by reading journal articles so you can not only keep up with them, but you can ask relevant and "smart" questions.

Therefore, if you know your resume inside out, you will ace this interview. The position was offered to me by email the same day as the interview. However, I still sent thank you notes by email or LinkedIn with everyone I interviewed with.

The hiring process was far less easy. Many, many, many forms are required for hire, and I cannot tell you how many times I filled out the same form more than twice. Be prepared to do background checks and drug tests and the like. The entire process took a little over a month.

Interview Questions

• On this interview, there were no tricky questions because it was an entry level position, and they were desperate.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Although the interview process was easy, I did not stay long with JHU due to the unfriendliness of the staff. I hope your experience fairs better than mine.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in January 2010.

Interview

there was no difficult questions. it's typical interview; presentation, talk with lab members, one to one talk with boss at the end. the nice thing was that they compensated all the travel and hotel fees.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview

Applied online, completed an interview via Skype by two members of the department, and then was interviewed in person by three members of the department. In-person interview lasted about one hour. Date of application to date of offer was very long - over 2 months.

This job was posted without a salary range, unusual for Hopkins.

Interview Questions

• Don't recall. None of the questions were particularly challenging.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Hopkins does not pay very well for most positions. I did not get what I requested when I started.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in October 2010.

Interview

Got phone interviewed first and then invited for campus for 1 day on-site interview. Present previous work the the whole group and talked supervisor and group members. After the on-site interview got the offer and accepted it.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in April 2014.

Interview

Applied and interviewed in April or May. The interview was by phone and it was completely behavioral. A lot on how you would react given a certain situation with children. On the technical side, they just ask how well prepared you feel to teach the kids and what experiences make you feel prepared for the job.

Interview Questions

• How would react to a child who was very rebellious or a child who you suspected had a crush on you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation.

Research Technologist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview

Applied through HR. Emailed directly by the PI and asked if I would be available for a phone call. Contacted by PI for phone interview where I was asked about my previous research as an undergraduate student, specifically in regards to the research I might be doing in the lab. At the end of the call, I was invited for in-person interview the next week.

Drove up to Hopkins and interviewed with PI of the lab, then met with lab manager and senior techs, finally closed interview with PI. The entire interview took roughly 2-3 hrs and everyone was very pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult questions were the probings about my future research as an undergrad, and even those were not too technical or difficult. Most of the interview was just getting to know me and making sure my very recent B.S. in Biology gave me enough knowledge to start working in a lab at an entry level position.   Answer Question