Johns Hopkins University

60 candidate interviews

Budget Specialist Interview

Budget Specialist
Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in December 2009.

Interview Details – HR interview consisted of a phone interview with basic interview questions and an in person interview. Once finished with HR, met with a Senior Research Analyst, department HR, and the Division Administrator. All parties involved were kind, pleasant. Entire interview process was pretty easy and relatively stress free.
- Most difficult part is finding parking, since Johns Hopkins University is located in Baltimore City.

Interview Question – All questions were basic such as:
Greatest strength, greatest weakness, name one time you encountered a difficult situation and how did you handle it, and why did you choose our company?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Could not negotiate

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Baltimore, MD

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview Details – Initial telephonic interview with manager and then a face to face interview with the Manager, Tech Lead and Associate Director

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Clinical Research Coordinator
Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in July 2011.

Interview Details – The initial recruitment for this position came as an e-mail from the current clinical research coordinator to my academic program. I forwarded my resume and was asked to travel to Baltimore for an in-person interview with the current coordinator and the research supervisor. The interview was relatively brief, both interviewers stated that they hadn't gotten much sleep the night before, and concluded with a tour of the department. I followed up several times via e-mail and phone and was told that a decision was still being made. Two months following my interview and having heard nothing, I made another inquiry only to be told that someone else had been hired. The supervisor mentioned that several other research coordinator positions were available and encouraged me to apply for them. I traveled to Baltimore again and met with the supervisor and the principal investigator. I discussed the available positions with the Principal Investigator for 45 minutes and was told that a decision would be made by the end of the week. After hearing nothing at the end of the week, I inquired as to the decision timetable and was told that I would have a decision by that Friday. Again, I heard nothing and waited another week before asking again. I was made to feel that I was bothering them for trying to get an answer after being given a decision timetable and was told that I would hear something soon, that was eight weeks ago. Overall, it was a negative experience with extremely poor communication. I do not expect to be treated like a nuisance when I am following up after being given a decision timeline.

Interview Question – How would your previous employer describe you?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Administrative Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in October 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted an application through the online system. Was called in for an interview 2 weeks later. Met first with a representative from HR and was asked a series of 'tell me about a time when...' questions as well as expectations for the role, future aspirations and salary range. Then did a skills test on the computer including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and a typing test. Then met with 4 would-be supervisors in a single interview. Pleasant group of people who asked typical interview questions. The experience was a nice balance of questions and conversation. Unfortunately, did not receive an offer. The whole process was very organized and very professional.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

PhD Student

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview Details – The interview process for the graduate program was very similar to others. You come to the University for about 2-3 days for a number of interviews with Departmental faculty members as well as spend time with current graduate students. Every faculty member is different in their interview approach; however, most will probably ask you to describe any current or previous research, why you are applying for an advanced degree, and possibly questions like "describe a time when you were faced with a problem and how you overcame it". Many students (including myself) are naive at this point and say that they would like to pursue an academic career - University Professor track. At the interview stage, they are primarily looking to see how well you communicate and if you are a good fit for the program.

Interview Question – For the most part (Life Sciences) graduate student interviews are not similar to certain types of employment interviews where they ask you multiple questions to see how you think your way through answering a question. Many of the questions are straightforward and practical. It's been 5 years so I can't recall any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations for graduate school. Everyone receives the same stipend and benefits.

Research Coordinator Interview

Research Coordinator

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in October 2009.

Interview Details – Positive experience

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

Research Engineer
Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in July 2010.

Interview Details – two phone interviews

Interview Question – How much you expect to be paid   Answer Question

Reimbursement Specialist Interview

Reimbursement Specialist

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview Details – It was a pretty standard interview. The only part that through me off was how disengaged the interviewer (hiring manager) was with her body language. Although the conversation was fairly normal and fluid, she never really looked at me. Her body was twisted away from me, she spent the entire time fidgeting with a desktop toy. She said they would be making a decision in two weeks. I took six weeks for a response. I was advised during the interview that everything takes longer than expected with it comes to HR, so it was not too much of a surprise.

Interview Question – I was given a complex claim issue and was asked to map out the steps and resources I would use to resolve the specific issue.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I told them during the interview my expected salary, which was within their starting salary.

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
Baltimore, MD

The process took a day - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in May 2012.

Interview Details – Feel relaxed and confident. Treat the interviewers as your friends.

Interview Questions

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student
Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview Details – The interview spans two days. There will be 5-10 other candidates interviewing with you. You will meet one-on-one with 5-8 professors, mostly of your own choosing (arranged by the department administrator beforehand via email). They will ask about your education, research experience, career goals and other interests. You will have dinner at a professor's home with some of the other candidates. Not only do they want to make sure that you are intelligent and hardworking, but also that you get along with people and carry an interesting conversation. During lunches and a poster session there will be many opportunities to interact with the graduate students who are already in the program. They will also be making note of whether or not you are asking good questions and if you seem like someone they would like to work with. Be sure to ask graduate students about what they like/don't like about the school and/or the professors they work with.

Interview Question – What are your career plans? What kind of research are you interested in? Why did you get a "C" in that undergrad chemistry class?   Answer Question