Johns Hopkins University

Updated Nov 15, 2014

2.8

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

I was referred by my boss from my previous postdoctoral position in Johns Hopkins University. I was invited to come and talk to my potential employer, and Research Associate from the same lab and present my previous research on the lab meeting. Everything went smoothly and I got an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions - mostly about my research and skills and future plans.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Teaching Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in April 2014.

Applied and interviewed in April or May. The interview was by phone and it was completely behavioral. A lot on how you would react given a certain situation with children. On the technical side, they just ask how well prepared you feel to teach the kids and what experiences make you feel prepared for the job.

Interview Questions
    • How would react to a child who was very rebellious or a child who you suspected had a crush on you?   Answer Question
    no negotiation.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in October 2010.

Got phone interviewed first and then invited for campus for 1 day on-site interview. Present previous work the the whole group and talked supervisor and group members. After the on-site interview got the offer and accepted it.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Applied online, completed an interview via Skype by two members of the department, and then was interviewed in person by three members of the department. In-person interview lasted about one hour. Date of application to date of offer was very long - over 2 months.

This job was posted without a salary range, unusual for Hopkins.

Interview Questions
    • Don't recall. None of the questions were particularly challenging.   Answer Question
    Hopkins does not pay very well for most positions. I did not get what I requested when I started.

Budget Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in December 2009.

HR interview consisted of a phone interview with basic interview questions and an in person interview. Once finished with HR, met with a Senior Research Analyst, department HR, and the Division Administrator. All parties involved were kind, pleasant. Entire interview process was pretty easy and relatively stress free.
    - Most difficult part is finding parking, since Johns Hopkins University is located in Baltimore City.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were basic such as:
      Greatest strength, greatest weakness, name one time you encountered a difficult situation and how did you handle it, and why did you choose our company?

Answer Question
    Could not negotiate

Administrative Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in October 2013.

Submitted an application through the online system. Was called in for an interview 2 weeks later. Met first with a representative from HR and was asked a series of 'tell me about a time when...' questions as well as expectations for the role, future aspirations and salary range. Then did a skills test on the computer including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and a typing test. Then met with 4 would-be supervisors in a single interview. Pleasant group of people who asked typical interview questions. The experience was a nice balance of questions and conversation. Unfortunately, did not receive an offer. The whole process was very organized and very professional.

Development Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in October 2013.

Had a day long interview with 8 different people. Scheduling was relatively easy, but it was a long day of saying the same thing over and over, however some positive and interesting conversations did develop.

Interview Questions
    • Having 7 very similar interviews with almost ten different people was the real challenge - keeping answers fresh and maintaining interest   Answer Question

Summer Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlisle, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlisle, PA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in June 2012.

The interview process was fairly painless. It essentially consisted of a phone interview. Most questions were regarding how you would handle particular situations with instructors, students, managers, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Like I said earlier, the questions are primarily geared towards how you would handle various situations if you were given the position. An example of such a question would be how you would handle a situation where you disagreed with how the instructor of the course was handling a particular lesson; would you stand up and confront it during the lesson, wait until after the lesson, not address it at all, etc?   Answer Question

Reimbursement Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

It was a pretty standard interview. The only part that through me off was how disengaged the interviewer (hiring manager) was with her body language. Although the conversation was fairly normal and fluid, she never really looked at me. Her body was twisted away from me, she spent the entire time fidgeting with a desktop toy. She said they would be making a decision in two weeks. I took six weeks for a response. I was advised during the interview that everything takes longer than expected with it comes to HR, so it was not too much of a surprise.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a complex claim issue and was asked to map out the steps and resources I would use to resolve the specific issue.   Answer Question
    I told them during the interview my expected salary, which was within their starting salary.

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

The interview spans two days. There will be 5-10 other candidates interviewing with you. You will meet one-on-one with 5-8 professors, mostly of your own choosing (arranged by the department administrator beforehand via email). They will ask about your education, research experience, career goals and other interests. You will have dinner at a professor's home with some of the other candidates. Not only do they want to make sure that you are intelligent and hardworking, but also that you get along with people and carry an interesting conversation. During lunches and a poster session there will be many opportunities to interact with the graduate students who are already in the program. They will also be making note of whether or not you are asking good questions and if you seem like someone they would like to work with. Be sure to ask graduate students about what they like/don't like about the school and/or the professors they work with.

Interview Questions
    • What are your career plans? What kind of research are you interested in? Why did you get a "C" in that undergrad chemistry class?   Answer Question