Johns Hopkins University Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2015
Updated Mar 23, 2015

2.8

Senior Human Resources Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Two interviews - human resources department and hiring department (usually at two different locations). Complete human resources documentation and in some instances software tests.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me why you would want to work at Johns Hopkins University.   View Answer
    Salary

Senior Research Data Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Got interviewed by 4 people in the group, pretty friendly, no much pressure.

There was no negotiation, just a fixed rate.

X-ray Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

I had non specific experience and interview was mostly behavior based. They were willing to train the "right person" for the job and the manager in dept came in day after Xmas to interview me since I was home from North Carolina for the holidays.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a conflict between you and another employee at work and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation I got fair market value and at the time in 2005 excellent education reimbursement benefits.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I was first recruited through an international meeting and then invited to visit the department. It was a casual visit to discuss prospects and future prospects. Also met other support personnel, and the department did a great job of hosting

Administrative Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in October 2013.

Submitted an application through the online system. Was called in for an interview 2 weeks later. Met first with a representative from HR and was asked a series of 'tell me about a time when...' questions as well as expectations for the role, future aspirations and salary range. Then did a skills test on the computer including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and a typing test. Then met with 4 would-be supervisors in a single interview. Pleasant group of people who asked typical interview questions. The experience was a nice balance of questions and conversation. Unfortunately, did not receive an offer. The whole process was very organized and very professional.

Development Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in October 2013.

Had a day long interview with 8 different people. Scheduling was relatively easy, but it was a long day of saying the same thing over and over, however some positive and interesting conversations did develop.

Interview Questions
    • Having 7 very similar interviews with almost ten different people was the real challenge - keeping answers fresh and maintaining interest   Answer Question

Research Technologist Interview

I applied online and within 4 days they sent me an email to set the day of the interview. The interview was via skype as i live in another state.

Interview Questions
    • the questions were fair. They asked me why I chose the position, what was my expertise, what do I think about Baltimore   Answer Question

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in September 2013.

First interview was just with the HR representative and included 4 computer tests, proofreading, MS Word, MS Excel, and writing. Interview questions were fairly typical for an HR interview. Was asked to come back for a second interview at the end of this one.
    Second interview was a week later with the Director and an employee who previously held the same position. Was a pretty casual interview. No real grilling or formal questions. More interested in my experience and how it applied to the position. Got a follow up phone call from HR a day or two later for a third interview.
    Third interview was a week after the second and was a group interview that involed the rest of the department, 6 employees. About 3 of the employees had a fair number of questions, others were more quiet. Some felt more formal, others more relaxed.
    Through the entire process, HR was good about sending confirmation emails including the names and titles of all the interview participants.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was too unexpected. The HR questions were more the formal interview type. The rest were more relaxed.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. The HR rep asked me about salary in the beginning and they actually offered me more than I initially requested.

PhD Student Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

The interview process for the graduate program was very similar to others. You come to the University for about 2-3 days for a number of interviews with Departmental faculty members as well as spend time with current graduate students. Every faculty member is different in their interview approach; however, most will probably ask you to describe any current or previous research, why you are applying for an advanced degree, and possibly questions like "describe a time when you were faced with a problem and how you overcame it". Many students (including myself) are naive at this point and say that they would like to pursue an academic career - University Professor track. At the interview stage, they are primarily looking to see how well you communicate and if you are a good fit for the program.

Interview Questions
    • For the most part (Life Sciences) graduate student interviews are not similar to certain types of employment interviews where they ask you multiple questions to see how you think your way through answering a question. Many of the questions are straightforward and practical. It's been 5 years so I can't recall any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiations for graduate school. Everyone receives the same stipend and benefits.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

One time onsite interview only. Waited for about two weeks, then the offer came.