Johns Hopkins University Interview Questions

Updated Aug 19, 2014
Updated Aug 19, 2014

2.8

Administrative Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in October 2013.

Submitted an application through the online system. Was called in for an interview 2 weeks later. Met first with a representative from HR and was asked a series of 'tell me about a time when...' questions as well as expectations for the role, future aspirations and salary range. Then did a skills test on the computer including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and a typing test. Then met with 4 would-be supervisors in a single interview. Pleasant group of people who asked typical interview questions. The experience was a nice balance of questions and conversation. Unfortunately, did not receive an offer. The whole process was very organized and very professional.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I was first recruited through an international meeting and then invited to visit the department. It was a casual visit to discuss prospects and future prospects. Also met other support personnel, and the department did a great job of hosting

Visitor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in January 2013.

I did not any interview you need to talk to professor just that it depends how well u were during your education. If you have publication you are good to go. Most professors prefer publication.

Budget Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in December 2009.

HR interview consisted of a phone interview with basic interview questions and an in person interview. Once finished with HR, met with a Senior Research Analyst, department HR, and the Division Administrator. All parties involved were kind, pleasant. Entire interview process was pretty easy and relatively stress free.
    - Most difficult part is finding parking, since Johns Hopkins University is located in Baltimore City.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were basic such as:
      Greatest strength, greatest weakness, name one time you encountered a difficult situation and how did you handle it, and why did you choose our company?
        Answer Question
    Could not negotiate

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in September 2013.

First interview was just with the HR representative and included 4 computer tests, proofreading, MS Word, MS Excel, and writing. Interview questions were fairly typical for an HR interview. Was asked to come back for a second interview at the end of this one.
    Second interview was a week later with the Director and an employee who previously held the same position. Was a pretty casual interview. No real grilling or formal questions. More interested in my experience and how it applied to the position. Got a follow up phone call from HR a day or two later for a third interview.
    Third interview was a week after the second and was a group interview that involed the rest of the department, 6 employees. About 3 of the employees had a fair number of questions, others were more quiet. Some felt more formal, others more relaxed.
    Through the entire process, HR was good about sending confirmation emails including the names and titles of all the interview participants.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was too unexpected. The HR questions were more the formal interview type. The rest were more relaxed.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. The HR rep asked me about salary in the beginning and they actually offered me more than I initially requested.

Resident Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in April 2012.

Persoanl interview for 2 rounds

One round offering

Research Technologist Interview

I applied online and within 4 days they sent me an email to set the day of the interview. The interview was via skype as i live in another state.

Interview Questions
    • the questions were fair. They asked me why I chose the position, what was my expertise, what do I think about Baltimore   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

The interview process for the graduate program was very similar to others. You come to the University for about 2-3 days for a number of interviews with Departmental faculty members as well as spend time with current graduate students. Every faculty member is different in their interview approach; however, most will probably ask you to describe any current or previous research, why you are applying for an advanced degree, and possibly questions like "describe a time when you were faced with a problem and how you overcame it". Many students (including myself) are naive at this point and say that they would like to pursue an academic career - University Professor track. At the interview stage, they are primarily looking to see how well you communicate and if you are a good fit for the program.

Interview Questions
    • For the most part (Life Sciences) graduate student interviews are not similar to certain types of employment interviews where they ask you multiple questions to see how you think your way through answering a question. Many of the questions are straightforward and practical. It's been 5 years so I can't recall any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiations for graduate school. Everyone receives the same stipend and benefits.

Research Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in May 2013.

Applied online and received a response a month after applying. Interviewed directly with the lab manager, principal investigator, and hiring manager. The entire interview lasted 2.5 hours. After some mention that I was a top candidate for the position, I received a request for my references from the lab manager and never heard anything from HR or the lab after that. My references were never contacted, which was irritating and a waste of time. Overall, my experiences with the hiring process at JHU have been negative.

Interview Questions
    • What negatives would your previous employer say about you?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

One time onsite interview only. Waited for about two weeks, then the offer came.