Johns Hopkins University Interview Questions & Reviews

63 interviews

2.8

Budget Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in December 2009.

HR interview consisted of a phone interview with basic interview questions and an in person interview. Once finished with HR, met with a Senior Research Analyst, department HR, and the Division Administrator. All parties involved were kind, pleasant. Entire interview process was pretty easy and relatively stress free.
    - Most difficult part is finding parking, since Johns Hopkins University is located in Baltimore City.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were basic such as:
      Greatest strength, greatest weakness, name one time you encountered a difficult situation and how did you handle it, and why did you choose our company?
        Answer Question
    Could not negotiate

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

I was referred by my boss from my previous postdoctoral position in Johns Hopkins University. I was invited to come and talk to my potential employer, and Research Associate from the same lab and present my previous research on the lab meeting. Everything went smoothly and I got an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions - mostly about my research and skills and future plans.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Reimbursement Specialist Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

It was a pretty standard interview. The only part that through me off was how disengaged the interviewer (hiring manager) was with her body language. Although the conversation was fairly normal and fluid, she never really looked at me. Her body was twisted away from me, she spent the entire time fidgeting with a desktop toy. She said they would be making a decision in two weeks. I took six weeks for a response. I was advised during the interview that everything takes longer than expected with it comes to HR, so it was not too much of a surprise.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a complex claim issue and was asked to map out the steps and resources I would use to resolve the specific issue.   Answer Question
    I told them during the interview my expected salary, which was within their starting salary.

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

The interview spans two days. There will be 5-10 other candidates interviewing with you. You will meet one-on-one with 5-8 professors, mostly of your own choosing (arranged by the department administrator beforehand via email). They will ask about your education, research experience, career goals and other interests. You will have dinner at a professor's home with some of the other candidates. Not only do they want to make sure that you are intelligent and hardworking, but also that you get along with people and carry an interesting conversation. During lunches and a poster session there will be many opportunities to interact with the graduate students who are already in the program. They will also be making note of whether or not you are asking good questions and if you seem like someone they would like to work with. Be sure to ask graduate students about what they like/don't like about the school and/or the professors they work with.

Interview Questions
    • What are your career plans? What kind of research are you interested in? Why did you get a "C" in that undergrad chemistry class?   Answer Question

Resident Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in April 2012.

Persoanl interview for 2 rounds

One round offering

Summer Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Carlisle, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlisle, PA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in June 2012.

The interview process was fairly painless. It essentially consisted of a phone interview. Most questions were regarding how you would handle particular situations with instructors, students, managers, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Like I said earlier, the questions are primarily geared towards how you would handle various situations if you were given the position. An example of such a question would be how you would handle a situation where you disagreed with how the instructor of the course was handling a particular lesson; would you stand up and confront it during the lesson, wait until after the lesson, not address it at all, etc?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Initial telephonic interview with manager and then a face to face interview with the Manager, Tech Lead and Associate Director

PhD Student Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

The interview process for the graduate program was very similar to others. You come to the University for about 2-3 days for a number of interviews with Departmental faculty members as well as spend time with current graduate students. Every faculty member is different in their interview approach; however, most will probably ask you to describe any current or previous research, why you are applying for an advanced degree, and possibly questions like "describe a time when you were faced with a problem and how you overcame it". Many students (including myself) are naive at this point and say that they would like to pursue an academic career - University Professor track. At the interview stage, they are primarily looking to see how well you communicate and if you are a good fit for the program.

Interview Questions
    • For the most part (Life Sciences) graduate student interviews are not similar to certain types of employment interviews where they ask you multiple questions to see how you think your way through answering a question. Many of the questions are straightforward and practical. It's been 5 years so I can't recall any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiations for graduate school. Everyone receives the same stipend and benefits.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in March 2010.

phone interview was processed first, and onsite interview was conducted. All researchers were very hard working and excellent

Interview Questions
    • I didn't have to deal with difficult questions since they evaluated me based on my research and presentations   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in July 2010.

two phone interviews