Johns Hopkins University

Relevance Date Difficulty

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview Details – I was referred by my boss from my previous postdoctoral position in Johns Hopkins University. I was invited to come and talk to my potential employer, and Research Associate from the same lab and present my previous research on the lab meeting. Everything went smoothly and I got an offer a few days later.

Interview Question – No difficult questions - mostly about my research and skills and future plans.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Very Easy Interview

Research Technologist Interview

Research Technologist
Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in March 2014.

Interview Details – Initial communication by email to set up interview. I applied to position 3 weeks before. The interview was relaxed but manager told me she has a bunch of interviews set up. Did not ask me any questions about my previous experience. She did say I was overqualified immediately. I then met with the laboratory manager who told me she had been working for the company for 25 yrs and I will not take her job.

Interview Question – Unexpected was Why do you want this job you cant have mine so why.   Answer Question

Marketing Assistant Interview

Marketing Assistant
Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in May 2013.

Interview Details – My professor emailed me about the position, so I applied for the job, came in for a brief interview, and was sent and offer via email.

Interview Question – Very informal interview, no questions were really difficult. I just had to be honest.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student
Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview Details – The interview spans two days. There will be 5-10 other candidates interviewing with you. You will meet one-on-one with 5-8 professors, mostly of your own choosing (arranged by the department administrator beforehand via email). They will ask about your education, research experience, career goals and other interests. You will have dinner at a professor's home with some of the other candidates. Not only do they want to make sure that you are intelligent and hardworking, but also that you get along with people and carry an interesting conversation. During lunches and a poster session there will be many opportunities to interact with the graduate students who are already in the program. They will also be making note of whether or not you are asking good questions and if you seem like someone they would like to work with. Be sure to ask graduate students about what they like/don't like about the school and/or the professors they work with.

Interview Question – What are your career plans? What kind of research are you interested in? Why did you get a "C" in that undergrad chemistry class?   Answer Question

X-ray Tech Interview

X-ray Tech
Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview Details – I had non specific experience and interview was mostly behavior based. They were willing to train the "right person" for the job and the manager in dept came in day after Xmas to interview me since I was home from North Carolina for the holidays.

Interview Question – Tell me about a conflict between you and another employee at work and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation I got fair market value and at the time in 2005 excellent education reimbursement benefits.

Development Coordinator Interview

Development Coordinator
Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in October 2013.

Interview Details – Had a day long interview with 8 different people. Scheduling was relatively easy, but it was a long day of saying the same thing over and over, however some positive and interesting conversations did develop.

Interview Question – Having 7 very similar interviews with almost ten different people was the real challenge - keeping answers fresh and maintaining interest   Answer Question

Visitor Interview

Visitor
Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in January 2013.

Interview Details – I did not any interview you need to talk to professor just that it depends how well u were during your education. If you have publication you are good to go. Most professors prefer publication.

Interview Question – Visa interviw   Answer Question

Budget Specialist Interview

Budget Specialist
Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in December 2009.

Interview Details – HR interview consisted of a phone interview with basic interview questions and an in person interview. Once finished with HR, met with a Senior Research Analyst, department HR, and the Division Administrator. All parties involved were kind, pleasant. Entire interview process was pretty easy and relatively stress free.
- Most difficult part is finding parking, since Johns Hopkins University is located in Baltimore City.

Interview Question – All questions were basic such as:
Greatest strength, greatest weakness, name one time you encountered a difficult situation and how did you handle it, and why did you choose our company?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Could not negotiate

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Administrative Coordinator
Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in September 2013.

Interview Details – First interview was just with the HR representative and included 4 computer tests, proofreading, MS Word, MS Excel, and writing. Interview questions were fairly typical for an HR interview. Was asked to come back for a second interview at the end of this one.
Second interview was a week later with the Director and an employee who previously held the same position. Was a pretty casual interview. No real grilling or formal questions. More interested in my experience and how it applied to the position. Got a follow up phone call from HR a day or two later for a third interview.
Third interview was a week after the second and was a group interview that involed the rest of the department, 6 employees. About 3 of the employees had a fair number of questions, others were more quiet. Some felt more formal, others more relaxed.
Through the entire process, HR was good about sending confirmation emails including the names and titles of all the interview participants.

Interview Question – Nothing was too unexpected. The HR questions were more the formal interview type. The rest were more relaxed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. The HR rep asked me about salary in the beginning and they actually offered me more than I initially requested.

Resident Interview

Resident
Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in April 2012.

Interview Details – Persoanl interview for 2 rounds

Interview Question – Presentations about an article   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – One round offering

Worked for Johns Hopkins University? Contribute to the Community!