Johns Hopkins University Interview Questions in Maryland

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.8

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

Brief - asked about my previous research. They assumed they knew everything about me from my CV - this was a terrible assumption. They were more interested in telling me about what they do and everything I could become involved with. If I could go back, I would ask about previous post-docs (what they did, how long they were there, frequency of publication, why they left, and what they are doing now) and I wouldn't take the job without a career development plan.

Interview Questions

• I was not asked difficult questions - explain this project, how did you do that, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was offered the minimum post-doc salary. This was a 20% pay cut for me. I said I can't take a 20% pay cut and they came up to my current salary. I have received a 2% raise each year.

Prospect Research Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in June 2015.

Interview

Both interviewers focuses a lot on working with difficult people and it was apparent there are a lot of conflicts in the workplace, based on the questions, I decided not to pursue position. It was clear this office had a lot of issues working with other departments.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you disagreed with a colleague.   1 Answer

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in April 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume through a recruiter. I was contacted for a phone interview. They asked tell me about yourself and why do you think you are qualified for the position. Then I had an in-person interview with the senior recruiter. I was referred to a full panel interview in Baltimore. They said they would call me about next steps within a week.

Interview Questions

• In less than 5 minutes tell us about your background and how it led you here today.   Answer Question

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

I was originally supposed to meet with 2 people for the interview; on the day of the interview, one of them was out sick. I met with the head of the department, but the questions asked were very vague. I enjoyed the interview though and thought it went well. I was told I would hear from someone to reschedule the meeting with the sick individual, but never heard back. A week later, I received a thanks, but no thanks email. Looking back, it sounds like they already had an individual in mind for the position, but were doing due diligence in interviewing others, who never even had a chance for the job.

University Administration Aide Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

There were three phases--a phone interview and then two separate in-person interviews. The first was with the hiring manager, who described the job and asked questions about resume. The second was a panel interview. Was disappointed with the low-ball salary offered in exchange for skills/qualifications possessed. No opportunity for raises. Would have to answer e-mails in evening, which would dilute low pay further. Not to mention the costs of "benefits" which would also reduce net pay. Unfair. And, I had to decline.

Senior Research Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in September 2014.

Interview

the hiring process includes 2 steps, first, you need to interview with HR, this step includes behavioral questions, about an hour long. then you will meet with your future employer, regarding the specialty knowledge, about one hour as well. Some people got another chance to meet with the employer again or the future team member as well.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a situation that you solved a difficult problem.   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in August 2014.

Interview

Multiple interviews were required beginning with an informal phone interview. After that I had a preliminary in person interview, and then moved on to a final interview where I met with multiple team members and got a real feel for the company.Overall it allowed me to get a good sense of how the office was run and to let me get a good idea of who I would be working with.

Interview Questions

• What makes you interested in working for Johns Hopkins University?   Answer Question

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in July 2014.

Interview

To even get an interview is a huge win since there are so many applicants for every job posting. However, once you get an interview, it can take MONTHS to even hear back from anyone about the position, even if you did get the job or not. I applied for many jobs through their website and interviewed for a handful. I received two job offers from two different departments: one department gave me a phone interview, then a face to face with two different people, and then two months later I received a job offer. The other department gave me a face to face interview with two people at the same time and then a second interview three weeks later and verbally told me I had the job, but I never received anything written from them and I accepted a position with another company. I still have not heard from them and it's been almost a year.

Interview Questions

• How do you prioritize your workload?   1 Answer

Academic Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in July 2014.

Interview

There was a very brief interview, followed by a very extensive background screening that took quite a bit of time. There wasn't a clear organized structure for the interview. I arrived expecting to meet with one person who turned out, was not involved in the interview process.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

I was referred by my boss from my previous postdoctoral position in Johns Hopkins University. I was invited to come and talk to my potential employer, and Research Associate from the same lab and present my previous research on the lab meeting. Everything went smoothly and I got an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions - mostly about my research and skills and future plans.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation