Johns Hopkins University

2.8

34 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

I was referred by my boss from my previous postdoctoral position in Johns Hopkins University. I was invited to come and talk to my potential employer, and Research Associate from the same lab and present my previous research on the lab meeting. Everything went smoothly and I got an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions - mostly about my research and skills and future plans.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

The interview spans two days. There will be 5-10 other candidates interviewing with you. You will meet one-on-one with 5-8 professors, mostly of your own choosing (arranged by the department administrator beforehand via email). They will ask about your education, research experience, career goals and other interests. You will have dinner at a professor's home with some of the other candidates. Not only do they want to make sure that you are intelligent and hardworking, but also that you get along with people and carry an interesting conversation. During lunches and a poster session there will be many opportunities to interact with the graduate students who are already in the program. They will also be making note of whether or not you are asking good questions and if you seem like someone they would like to work with. Be sure to ask graduate students about what they like/don't like about the school and/or the professors they work with.

Interview Questions
    • What are your career plans? What kind of research are you interested in? Why did you get a "C" in that undergrad chemistry class?   Answer Question

Research Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in March 2014.

Initial communication by email to set up interview. I applied to position 3 weeks before. The interview was relaxed but manager told me she has a bunch of interviews set up. Did not ask me any questions about my previous experience. She did say I was overqualified immediately. I then met with the laboratory manager who told me she had been working for the company for 25 yrs and I will not take her job.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected was Why do you want this job you cant have mine so why.   Answer Question

X-ray Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

I had non specific experience and interview was mostly behavior based. They were willing to train the "right person" for the job and the manager in dept came in day after Xmas to interview me since I was home from North Carolina for the holidays.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a conflict between you and another employee at work and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation I got fair market value and at the time in 2005 excellent education reimbursement benefits.

Development Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in October 2013.

Had a day long interview with 8 different people. Scheduling was relatively easy, but it was a long day of saying the same thing over and over, however some positive and interesting conversations did develop.

Interview Questions
    • Having 7 very similar interviews with almost ten different people was the real challenge - keeping answers fresh and maintaining interest   Answer Question

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in September 2013.

First interview was just with the HR representative and included 4 computer tests, proofreading, MS Word, MS Excel, and writing. Interview questions were fairly typical for an HR interview. Was asked to come back for a second interview at the end of this one.
    Second interview was a week later with the Director and an employee who previously held the same position. Was a pretty casual interview. No real grilling or formal questions. More interested in my experience and how it applied to the position. Got a follow up phone call from HR a day or two later for a third interview.
    Third interview was a week after the second and was a group interview that involed the rest of the department, 6 employees. About 3 of the employees had a fair number of questions, others were more quiet. Some felt more formal, others more relaxed.
    Through the entire process, HR was good about sending confirmation emails including the names and titles of all the interview participants.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was too unexpected. The HR questions were more the formal interview type. The rest were more relaxed.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. The HR rep asked me about salary in the beginning and they actually offered me more than I initially requested.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

One time onsite interview only. Waited for about two weeks, then the offer came.

Research Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in May 2013.

Applied online and received a response a month after applying. Interviewed directly with the lab manager, principal investigator, and hiring manager. The entire interview lasted 2.5 hours. After some mention that I was a top candidate for the position, I received a request for my references from the lab manager and never heard anything from HR or the lab after that. My references were never contacted, which was irritating and a waste of time. Overall, my experiences with the hiring process at JHU have been negative.

Interview Questions
    • What negatives would your previous employer say about you?   Answer Question

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in May 2013.

My professor emailed me about the position, so I applied for the job, came in for a brief interview, and was sent and offer via email.

Interview Questions
    • Very informal interview, no questions were really difficult. I just had to be honest.   Answer Question

M S In Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in April 2013.

Be ready for common questions