Johns Hopkins University Research Assistant Interview Questions

Updated May 29, 2015

3.2

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview

Applied online, completed an interview via Skype by two members of the department, and then was interviewed in person by three members of the department. In-person interview lasted about one hour. Date of application to date of offer was very long - over 2 months. This job was posted without a salary range, unusual for Hopkins.

Interview Questions

• Don't recall. None of the questions were particularly challenging.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Hopkins does not pay very well for most positions. I did not get what I requested when I started.

Other Interview Reviews for Johns Hopkins University

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview

I went through a round of interviews there and had an unpleasant experience with an hr person. I could tell she didn't see the value in interviewing me and told me, in fact, that some of the experience listed on my resume was irrelevant. Throughout the interview she never smiled and seemed confused/not open to anything I had to say. She even rated my responses on a numerical scale in front of me, in plain view. When I was finally declined, the response I received was copy and pasted in different fonts. It was a pretty disheartening experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an experience in which you had to challenge authority.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in March 2013.

Interview

Interview involved my speaking with the Principal Investigator of the lab. He was very polite, told me about the lab (I had researched it a bit so we spoke about his research in depth), he gave me a tour and had me meet the other Research Assistant in the lab.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in October 2010.

Interview

Got phone interviewed first and then invited for campus for 1 day on-site interview. Present previous work the the whole group and talked supervisor and group members. After the on-site interview got the offer and accepted it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in August 2009.

Interview

After submitting an application online, the boss I was going to work for called me on my cell phone (this was not scheduled ahead of time) and asked me several questions about my resume. It was straightforward and there were no typical interview questions. Questions mainly pertained to my experience and what I expected to do and learn on the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in June 2009.

Interview

They required two writing samples, one phone interview in French, followed by an in person interview in English in front of a panel. They didn't seem to know what it was they were looking for, and were stalling on hiring someone because funding for the project hadn't yet come through.

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

First on-line test and then written test followed by face-fact interview