Johns Hopkins University

Updated Oct 21, 2014

2.0

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Research Technologist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Applied through HR. Emailed directly by the PI and asked if I would be available for a phone call. Contacted by PI for phone interview where I was asked about my previous research as an undergraduate student, specifically in regards to the research I might be doing in the lab. At the end of the call, I was invited for in-person interview the next week.

Drove up to Hopkins and interviewed with PI of the lab, then met with lab manager and senior techs, finally closed interview with PI. The entire interview took roughly 2-3 hrs and everyone was very pleasant.

Interview Questions
  • Most difficult questions were the probings about my future research as an undergrad, and even those were not too technical or difficult. Most of the interview was just getting to know me and making sure my very recent B.S. in Biology gave me enough knowledge to start working in a lab at an entry level position.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Johns Hopkins University

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in March 2014.

Initial communication by email to set up interview. I applied to position 3 weeks before. The interview was relaxed but manager told me she has a bunch of interviews set up. Did not ask me any questions about my previous experience. She did say I was overqualified immediately. I then met with the laboratory manager who told me she had been working for the company for 25 yrs and I will not take her job.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected was Why do you want this job you cant have mine so why.   Answer Question

Research Technologist Interview

I applied online and within 4 days they sent me an email to set the day of the interview. The interview was via skype as i live in another state.

Interview Questions
    • the questions were fair. They asked me why I chose the position, what was my expertise, what do I think about Baltimore   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in May 2013.

Applied online and received a response a month after applying. Interviewed directly with the lab manager, principal investigator, and hiring manager. The entire interview lasted 2.5 hours. After some mention that I was a top candidate for the position, I received a request for my references from the lab manager and never heard anything from HR or the lab after that. My references were never contacted, which was irritating and a waste of time. Overall, my experiences with the hiring process at JHU have been negative.

Interview Questions
    • What negatives would your previous employer say about you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

The process took a dayinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in January 2011.

The phone interview was conducted by what I believed the lead researcher himself. The day before the phone interview, he already set up the day and time for the face-to-face interview. I feel like I didn't have a say in it, but just had to agree with it. After the face-to-face interview, I was offer the job rather quickly, with a poor salary offer. I had to ask for additional employment information and the lead researcher gave me the run around and word-of-mouth kind of answers. While I was going through information packages with the HR, the lead researcher emailed me and told me that since I didn't reply to his offer in time, he's going to give it to someone else. I was not told that I have less than 6 days to make my decision. The HR was friendly, but this "future boss" is inconsiderate and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

The person (also my then-future-boss) who interviewed me seems to have lack of experience on interviewing people, but it was not bad. However, after exchanging a few emails with him, it was apparent that this person is rather contradictory. He offered me the job and told me to take my time to think about it, then didn't give me the time to consider. That to me is a red flag - a boss who doesn't keep his word. Anyone is better off finding something better in this case. You can't survive in Maryland with such a low salary anyway.

Nonetheless, Johns Hopkins would be a good place to work. There are many talented people in there. This is just one of the rare cases that could have happened anywhere.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in November 2008.

Interview was straight forward. You meet with the PI you will be working under and a few of the lab members. Only 1 interview. Advice: Make sure you research the lab's work before you interview to know what they do. Also make sure that you are interested it performing that same research.