Johnson Controls Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 18, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Johnson Controls (Plymouth, MI) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online and approximately two months later I received an e-mail requesting a phone interview. Had a phone interview with my potential supervisor. From there they invited me to the sales and engineering office to speak with the supervisor and two other directors. They called me a few days later to tell me that I obtained the position. The offer was contingent upon a successful background check and pre-employment drug screen.

Interview Questions

• You live outside of a 50 mile radius. How will this affect your ability to be on time?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Johnson Controls

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls (Glendale, WI).

Interview

They had me give a powerpoint presentation about my past engineering work. Precarious task considering most of what i have ever engineered is done with very strict confidentiality agreements. They also try and assess your creativity and eng knowledge to some extent by putting you on the spot. It is somewhat like being grilled in front of a Graduate Review board when you get your MS or Phd. They don't try to learn about you as a person so much as assess your robotic and calculative potential. I am an intelligent and effective engineer, but not always an eloquent speaker and I believe that worked against me a bit. I feel like they want only valedictorian / deans list types here. I found the process quite disappointing, and learned little about any one that interviewed me or the true workings of the company. They skim over answering questions asked by candidates. Overall a bizarre and ineffective interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a specific situation in which you failed, and how did you move forward?   Answer Question
    • Sketch / brainstorm 5 different possible solutions to this design problem. They give you some parameters and constraints...   1 Answer
    • How do you deal with ambiguity in requirements designing a component or product?   Answer Question

Had high hopes, $$$ was awesome, but I did not have a warm feeling at all from the interview process. Also their CEO Mr. Molinaroli... Read the news. That is all I will mention about that. Lack of Ethical values at the top are a big red flag for me.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Johnson Controls (Houston, TX) in July 2011.

Interview

A phone interview with the HR followed with a personal interview with the hiring manager after 2 weeks. 3 days after that i did the drug test and filled information of my background check. All communication after that was between me the Hiring manager.....I was asked to forward a copy of my ssn card and green card. problem that my green card was in process of being corrected due to error by the USCIS. I tried to convince them many times that it is only a matter of time till i received it. I provided all proofs/documents needed. Yet No response. I understand that companies may not want to get into immigration stuff, but HR main job is to get in touch with the candidates if there is any action required from him/her. But I really appreciate what all efforts done by the hiring manager in being a conduit between me and the HR, knowing that it is not his job to so. Last time i called the hiring manager was when i received my green card, but by that time, I learned that JCI is not hiring right now till the end of the year. joining such a great corporation would have been a great opportunity for me, but maybe i was not meant to work for them at the time being. may bey in the future.

Interview Questions

• All questions were about my background. so all questions will be asked using your resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Johnson Controls (Milwaukee, WI) in August 2010.

Interview

Interviewed with hiring manager and a couple of engineers. Thought the company was well positioned for the future, and wanted to proceed further. Did not get a call back, but received a letter thanking me for my time. I would like to interview again.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Johnson Controls in February 2010.

Interview

Phone interview with HR, followed by one on one interviews with 4 Managers, followed by one on one interview with VP level.

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Johnson Controls in March 2009.

Interview

Interview was professional and provided good information about the position and salary range and benifits. It was not a good fit for me or the company. Interview was a one-on-one interview and I think there were many people in the interview pool.

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Johnson Controls in January 2007.

Interview

I met and interviewed by an HR representative and the manager for the group individually. Then with a group of 3 from the team I was interviewing to join.