Johnson Controls

Updated Dec 7, 2014
Updated Dec 7, 2014

2.8

Maintenance Mechanic Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Johnson Controls.

Was called a couple of days after I had filled out an application.I set up an interview for the following week.The interview was with the maintenance supervisor and a maintenance work leader.They asked a lot of questions about my previous work experience and education.The whole process went well.The following week I was called in for a drug test and when the results came in ,an offer was made and I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • If I had ever worked on sewage pumps in the middle of summer in NC?   View Answer

Engineering Training Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Johnson Controls.

I originally applied to Interview through our on campus recruitment process and was interviewed on campus by two project managers from the building efficiency division. This was a first round interview and mainly focused on my past experience and the skills i had. Expect to be asked to go into more detail on the things listed within your resume; specifically the skills that were gained from your past experiences.

Interview Questions
    • The interview mainly focused on elaboration of past experience. I came in with a very strong resume and felt the questions were mainly focused around legitimizing what i had put onto my resume.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview was in person during an energy conference and a month later I was contacted over the phone for another interview manly describing school projects. Started the internship during the summer

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult person?   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Johnson Controls in November 2014.

Initial contact at university recruiting. Applied for position online and was contacted 2 weeks later for a video interview. 2 weeks after the video interview received an invitation to join the Fall interviewing event for a whole weekend in Milwaukee. It's been 3 weeks since then and haven't heard back yet.

Sales Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls.

Interview next day after a career fair, the career fair was a technical and focused on completely technical, but after a while in the conversation, the sales option was offered.

Interview Questions
    • Half sales part and half technical, being ready to switch instantly   Answer Question

Accounts Payable Representative II Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Johnson Controls.

The hiring process is very slow. I interviewed with them and there was a 3 week lag time until I got a call back regarding the offer. From there, I accepted and there was another 3 week process to let me know when I started. Additionally, there was a month in between the time I filled out the application and when I got a call back.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, WI

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls.

They had me give a powerpoint presentation about my past engineering work. Precarious task considering most of what i have ever engineered is done with very strict confidentiality agreements.

They also try and assess your creativity and eng knowledge to some extent by putting you on the spot. It is somewhat like being grilled in front of a Graduate Review board when you get your MS or Phd. They don't try to learn about you as a person so much as assess your robotic and calculative potential. I am an intelligent and effective engineer, but not always an eloquent speaker and I believe that worked against me a bit. I feel like they want only valedictorian / deans list types here. I found the process quite disappointing, and learned little about any one that interviewed me or the true workings of the company. They skim over answering questions asked by candidates. Overall a bizarre and ineffective interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a specific situation in which you failed, and how did you move forward?   Answer Question
    • Sketch / brainstorm 5 different possible solutions to this design problem. They give you some parameters and constraints...   View Answer
    • How do you deal with ambiguity in requirements designing a component or product?   Answer Question

Had high hopes, $$$ was awesome, but I did not have a warm feeling at all from the interview process. Also their CEO Mr. Molinaroli... Read the news. That is all I will mention about that. Lack of Ethical values at the top are a big red flag for me.

OE Customer Engineering Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Johnson Controls.

First had a phone interview. Then had a panel interview with manager and two other people on the team. No questions out of the ordinary and was all behavioral. Followed by a background check and drug test.

Human Resources Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls.

Submitted resume on Career site and got a phone screen set up for the same week. Asked me to tell me about myself and then explained what I would be doing at the internship. Was expecting to progress to an in person interview with the Hiring manager but instead was hired in about a week after the phone screen. Pleasant experience.

No negotiation. $17.50 for a part-time college internship is very nice therefore negotiation is not needed.

HFM Lead Interview

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls.

Total 3 phone and 3 on site interviews
    I am not satisfied by the final assumptions they made on my behalf

The position label should be HFM analyst and not HFM Lead Architect