Johnson Controls Interview Questions

Updated Sep 10, 2014

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Interview process is quick,
    1 round - Technical (easy, just to verify you eligible )
    2 round - Technical (average, focus on JD)
    3 round - Technical (average, mostly about performance, security)
    4 round - Technical (focus on architecture , design pattern)

Finance Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

The hiring and interview process went well. I had a 20 minute interview in person with two supervisors. Johnson Controls is very eager to continue to bring in new talent from College at all ages. If you are thinking about applying for a position, know that once you are brought onto Johnson Controls, you are golden. Two months in I was already meeting with my recruiter talking about my plans for the following year and where I would like to be in the company.

QA Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Johnson Controls in June 2014.

I was contacted by an HR representative approximately 5 days after I applied for the position through the company website. I was then scheduled for a phone screen. The phone screen lasted for approximately 15 minutes and mainly consisted of behavioral questions as well as my skills and experience relevant to the position.

Early the following week I was contacted by an engineering manager to schedule a phone interview for that same week. The phone interview lasted for approximately half an hour. The manager asked technical and career-oriented questions. What is your experience with functional/regression testing? Give me an example. How would you respond to criticism from a senior engineer?

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about testing a device? Walk me through the process.   Answer Question

Integration Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online - interviewed at Johnson Controls in March 2010.

I stayed at a hotel overnight. I started the interview at 9am in the morning and had multiple interviews with engineers, managers and directors of the business unit that I was interviewing for. The interviews were either conducted in a conference room or office. During lunch one of the interviewers gave me a tour of the facility as well. At the end of the day, HR representative went over the policies and benefits.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you'll be able to do well in this job?   Answer Question

Talent Management Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

Hiring manager called to interview. I was then asked to visit the company HQ to be interviewed by 4 managers, separately. I emailed them twice to ask about their decision but I never heard from them. I think its quite unprofessional for them to invite me over to their office and then not even bother to notify me of their decision. Shows what kind of a company they are.

Global Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls in May 2014.

I met with four different people within the company for 30 minutes each after being emailed about a position I applied to two weeks prior. Its was very laid back and they were mostly interested in what examples you can give on things you've done that would help with the position. Many of the typical interview questions were asked and almost no pressure at all. Overall, the process took about four weeks from the time I applied, to being contacted to interview, to actually interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • How many diapers does the City of Milwaukee go through in a year?   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hartford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls in March 2012.

It was for a Sales Engineering position in Conneticut. They flew me out for one day from Philadelphia and took me out to lunch. They brought in r each one of the other sales engineers on the floor in to talk to me.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

I originally gave my resume to a friend who worked full-time at Johnson Controls. She forwarded my information to someone at the company, and HR called me a month or two after to set up an interview. I spoke with HR briefly about my background, and they set up the on-site interview. The on-site interview lasted a couple hours. I interviewed with an HR representative about my skills and background and then met with the director and VP hiring for the department. I also did a brief skills test (more info. in "Most Difficult or Unexpected Question" section).

I did not receive an offer for the first position for which I interviewed, but because of my other skills and strengths, they passed my information on to another department. I interviewed separately with the other team, and they offered me a long-term internship.

Interview Questions
    • During the interview, I was given a set of data in Excel to "analyze" and had to make a short presentation about my findings. I had about 30 minutes to complete this step. With my experience at the time (university classes), I found this to be quite difficult because of the large amount of data and the freedom to complete the task.   Answer Question

Assembler, Kitter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sycamore, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sycamore, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls in May 2012.

After submitting my application, a week or two later I was interviewed by one of the superintendents. A couple days after that, I was called and asked if I could start the following Monday. I was getting married soon, and knew I would need to be off of work for a couple weeks, coming shortly. They said they would call me back after I returned from our honeymoon "if they still needed` people." I didn't hold out much hope, yet, on the Friday before I returned home, they called again. "Can you start Monday?" I was shocked. I could not give my current employer 2 weeks notice, but I took it anyway.

Interview Questions
    • This is an assembly line job, and I wasn't asked any unexpected questions. Still, it was a bit hard to answer why I wanted to work for JCI, a company I hadn't heard of until about 2 weeks prior.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate, as I did not have previous experience in this field, and was more than happy with what the established contract provided.

Systems Technician II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls in April 2012.

Interview was quick and easy. I think it all comes down to if they need you they will hire you but if they don't need you I wouldn't expect a long interview.

Interview Questions
    • there was not unexpected questions or anything that made the interview process uneasy.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate a 10% increase in salary.

Worked for Johnson Controls? Contribute to the Community!