Johnson Controls Interview Questions

Updated Sep 25, 2014
Updated Sep 25, 2014

2.9

HFM Lead Interview

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

Total 3 phone and 3 on site interviews
    I am not satisfied by the final assumptions they made on my behalf

The position label should be HFM analyst and not HFM Lead Architect

Software Engineer Interview

Interview process is quick,
    1 round - Technical (easy, just to verify you eligible )
    2 round - Technical (average, focus on JD)
    3 round - Technical (average, mostly about performance, security)
    4 round - Technical (focus on architecture , design pattern)

Finance Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

The hiring and interview process went well. I had a 20 minute interview in person with two supervisors. Johnson Controls is very eager to continue to bring in new talent from College at all ages. If you are thinking about applying for a position, know that once you are brought onto Johnson Controls, you are golden. Two months in I was already meeting with my recruiter talking about my plans for the following year and where I would like to be in the company.

Talent Management Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

Hiring manager called to interview. I was then asked to visit the company HQ to be interviewed by 4 managers, separately. I emailed them twice to ask about their decision but I never heard from them. I think its quite unprofessional for them to invite me over to their office and then not even bother to notify me of their decision. Shows what kind of a company they are.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

I originally gave my resume to a friend who worked full-time at Johnson Controls. She forwarded my information to someone at the company, and HR called me a month or two after to set up an interview. I spoke with HR briefly about my background, and they set up the on-site interview. The on-site interview lasted a couple hours. I interviewed with an HR representative about my skills and background and then met with the director and VP hiring for the department. I also did a brief skills test (more info. in "Most Difficult or Unexpected Question" section).

I did not receive an offer for the first position for which I interviewed, but because of my other skills and strengths, they passed my information on to another department. I interviewed separately with the other team, and they offered me a long-term internship.

Interview Questions
    • During the interview, I was given a set of data in Excel to "analyze" and had to make a short presentation about my findings. I had about 30 minutes to complete this step. With my experience at the time (university classes), I found this to be quite difficult because of the large amount of data and the freedom to complete the task.   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Johnson Controls in June 2014.

I was contacted by an HR representative approximately 5 days after I applied for the position through the company website. I was then scheduled for a phone screen. The phone screen lasted for approximately 15 minutes and mainly consisted of behavioral questions as well as my skills and experience relevant to the position.

Early the following week I was contacted by an engineering manager to schedule a phone interview for that same week. The phone interview lasted for approximately half an hour. The manager asked technical and career-oriented questions. What is your experience with functional/regression testing? Give me an example. How would you respond to criticism from a senior engineer?

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about testing a device? Walk me through the process.   Answer Question

Global Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls in May 2014.

I met with four different people within the company for 30 minutes each after being emailed about a position I applied to two weeks prior. Its was very laid back and they were mostly interested in what examples you can give on things you've done that would help with the position. Many of the typical interview questions were asked and almost no pressure at all. Overall, the process took about four weeks from the time I applied, to being contacted to interview, to actually interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • How many diapers does the City of Milwaukee go through in a year?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls in May 2014.

I was scheduled for a phone interview within a week of applying online. The interviewer was very polite and was obviously very prepared for the interview. The interviewer gauged my knowledge and experience by asking deeper and deeper questions until he found my limit. There were no irrelevant questions. I really appreciate that he took the time to thoroughly explain the duties and the context of the position.

Product Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

The hiring process began with a onsite interview with the chief engineer and a product engineer with whom I'd be working for inside the business unit and it was set up by contract recruitor. It was on a Friday so the interview was a bit relaxed. I was asked question about my previous background.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Holland, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holland, MI

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

initial interview: I was interviewed by 4-5 sessions. first it would be one or two guys each session. they asked pretty standard questions. They just went through my resume and asked me to explain them my experiences and stuff. some questions aboiut what i did in my previous jobs, classes. then explained the job and described the company most of the time. Asked a few questions abt basic electronics. then asked me to decribe components from a schematic. also brought a pcb and asked me what a certain component was doing. then talked more about the job. they were really nice.
    reference check: they did call my references
    second interview: I was called for a second interview but i didn't go for it because i got an offer from another company

Interview Questions
    • Why isn't the company where you are interning hiring you?   View Answer

Worked for Johnson Controls? Contribute to the Community!