Johnson Controls Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2015

2.8

Operational Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls (Plymouth, MI) in September 2011.

Interview

I was given a call back about my online application and asked to come in for an interview. My preliminary interview was with two Purchasing Managers and an HR Manager. After successfully interviewing, I was asked to come in and interview with two Purchasing Directors and the original Purchasing Managers. My third and final interview was with the North American Purchasing Vice President, whom I interviewed with for an hour. Each of the interviews I was met with about 5 to 10 minutes of warm up discussion followed by discussions about my relevant work experience pertaining to the Buyer Role I was applying for.

Interview Questions

• How well do you handle stress? What activities do you perform to cope with stress?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes I was able to negotiate. Respect yourself, understand current market salary for the position you are applying for, and request a salary a bit more than one would expect after conveying the value you can bring to the company.

Helpdesk Technician (Temporary) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Johnson Controls (Gaithersburg, MD) in May 2012.

Interview

got a call from hr. responded. set up time,date and number to be contacted. that's the OK part. here is where it went wrong, When I asked specifics on the jobs hr could not answer. got a call two days later to number that was not supposed to be used for interview. I had to call back from right phone number, the guy who was doing the interview did not speak clear or consisted in his questioning. these are the requirements for the job which is low level desktop support (A temporary job) as is described Under general supervision of the local Network Technologist (NT) provides support of Local and Wide Area Networks (LAN/WAN). Responsible for helping to maintain the physical network, file servers, desktop and laptop workstations and applications. All activities to conform with Johnson Controls standards for hardware and software. This is a temporary position to be located in Gaithersburg, MD. Qualifications Associate Degree in computer science or equivalent plus 2 years related experience supporting shared resources in a LAN/WAN environment. Proficiency with troubleshooting concepts; PC workstations (laptops and desktops); Windows operating systems including Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and XP; Microsoft Office products; antivirus software; networking concepts including TCP/IP, routing, and network printing; data backup/recovery concepts; and electronic software delivery methods (WSUS Altiris, FTP). General knowledge required on Microsoft Windows 98 and Windows NT operating systems, network servers, Citrix, and WAN technological concepts. Excellent oral and written communication skills, customer interface skills, problem solving and innovative resolution ability and the ability to be a highly effective team member are required. The following certifications are preferred but not required: MCP (any), Network+, A+, and Security+. Here is the problem I am not ask about any of this. I was asked name what ticketing applications I have work with and my experience with them. after I clearly stated that my ticketing experience was hand written forms.then he goes on to asked about remedy (Remedy Action Request System) experience. which is an application .Clearly this guy is a foreigner which I am too, but unlike him English is my first language which is not his. then I was put on hold for 2mins, I am guessing he had to think up two more questions I was ask what oracle server experience do I have working on oracle servers , which is not listed above. which is a server administration specific type job and not Helpdesk Technician(DESKTOP SUPPORT!!!!) Name what imaging software have I used and my experience with it. I was not asked if I know how to create an image file or how to use it with virtual machines,or on virtual servers or computer which I do know. then I was then told "you not what I am looking for OK good bye" I had to ask him can I ask some questions, he said OK. by the time I stated my that I had two bachelors in engineering (E.E and CPE) he cut me off and said " you do not have the experience that I looking for " . " I have other candidates if it does not work out I call you back " clearly they are locking For a server Administration support and not Helpdesk Technician (DESKTOP SUPPORT!!! ), but they do not want to pay for a server administrator (which the lowest I have ever seen is 30/ Hr or 62K per year at a small charter school with 350 students doing basic computer work). The job requires you to support the entire company(162,000 employees). I was told by Hr the base salary is at $25/ per hr, which is about 52K per year. form the reviews on this company they do not like to negotiate they only like giving the base pay.

Interview Questions

• Name the ticketing applications you have used ? ( I am guessing this is what he wanted to say, because he did not speak clearly or proper English to me )   Answer Question
    • What oracle sever experience do you have? ( I am guessing this is what he wanted to say, because he did not speak clearly or proper English to me )   Answer Question

Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

interviewed at Johnson Controls (Austin, TX) in December 2012.

Interview

Apply for the location and position you truly feel is your most desired. Show that you have a drive to win and can do so ethically.

Market Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Makati City (Philippines)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls (Makati City (Philippines)) in March 2011.

Interview

The interview was initially through phone. I was scheduled for an onsite interview after a few days and then got to speak to my immediate head after a month. After that conversation, I waited for advice for a couple of weeks and got an offer. The negotiation took several back-and-forth as the company adheres to budgets set by the region.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question is the one pertaining to knowledge on proprietary statistical analytic tools like SAS and regressional statistics.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not as flexible as most applicants would like but the staff are honest especially if you ask the right questions

Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Johnson Controls (San Diego, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Found opening on LinkedIn and then applied via Johnson Controls' website. Regional sales manager called a week or two after posting the application, and asked to set up an interview. I interviewed with regional sales manager and branch manager. Interview was fairly loose; there was no strict regimen for questioning followed. Questions like: Why this position? Why Johnson Controls? What are the components of an HVAC system? What project are you most proud of? Etc. I did my research on the company's product offerings via their website. I read A LOT about the company before the interview to prepare. Received a phone call 1 week later, asking to come in for another interview, which was scheduled 1 week after the call. Second interview was with branch manager, HR rep, and a former salesman turned HVAC technician. Interview was similar to first one. No barrage of questions or "tricky" questions. After second interview, took 3-4 weeks for a job offer. Process was PAINFULLY slow and required several approvals from management. From first call to job offer was probably 7 weeks. Then had to complete the HireRight background check and LabCorp drug screening, which took about 2 weeks. So, first interview to start date was 2.5 months. Incredibly long hiring process, IMO.

Interview Questions

• Having little sales experience, they questioned my dedication to sales. They mentioned putting me in a tech position for 3-5 years then potentially moving me to sales afterward.   1 Answer

Assistant Facility Manager-Transport Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in August 2011.

Interview

I had to face three rounds of interviews, first by consultant agency, secondly by JCI team in person, and finally by the clients to whom site ilm deputed on. In all steps I politely described all my strengths and weaknessnesses. My limitation of being average in verbal communication in English. But client and employer prefered to go with my strength towards my experience regarding the process and field of work.

Interview Questions

• What is the reason that your resume does not reflects stability with any organisation, will it remains the same going forward?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I simply negotiated with a statement that I expect the hike as per market trend and need adequate reason to switch the job.

Six Sigma Black Belt Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Florence, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls (Florence, SC) in June 2012.

Interview

I got a phone call from the recruiter and scheduled the initial phone screening a week from the call. The onsite interview followed 2 weeks later. It was a group interview with 5 other people. After the onsite interview, I got a call back within a week and had to visit another site for the watson glazer test, Personality test and case study. This test took about 4 hours and was both written and computer based. The final round was with the overall continuous improvement manager. The offer was made a few days later. The process took about 1 month from the initial phone screen to the final offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were in a situation where you became the team.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't really negotiate

Human Resources Manager Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls in October 2010.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 2 phone interviews: recruiter and hiring manager. After this initial screening we had 2 Panel interviews with the HR VP of the buisness segment and regional directors (2 panels with 4 individuals each). After this phase of the interview a final interview with the Regional Manager whose team I would be supporting. Although the process was a bit long, the atmosphere was very comfortable and professional.

Interview Questions

• Presented different business scenarios and asked how would one respond to the different situations by giving specific examples of how you have managed similar experiences in the past.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was pretty good so there was no need to negotiate

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls (Milwaukee, WI) in February 2008.

Interview

The interview process is long and tedious. You think that the department doesn't want you until 2-3 months later you get a phone and they want you to interview with like 4 people all at once. I heard nothing for a long time and then had a series of interview in 2 days. It's a bit overwhelming having this many interviews all at once.

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Johnson Controls (Milwaukee, WI) in October 2009.

Interview

I found out about this position from my university's job fair and was looking forward to the interview. It was a poorly handled group interview; one of the higher ups didn't show up for the interview and instead sent someone else in his place. That threw me off a little and made me question their actual interest.