Johnson Controls

2.8

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, WI
    Anonymous Employee in Glendale, WI

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls.

They had me give a powerpoint presentation about my past engineering work. Precarious task considering most of what i have ever engineered is done with very strict confidentiality agreements.

They also try and assess your creativity and eng knowledge to some extent by putting you on the spot. It is somewhat like being grilled in front of a Graduate Review board when you get your MS or Phd. They don't try to learn about you as a person so much as assess your robotic and calculative potential. I am an intelligent and effective engineer, but not always an eloquent speaker and I believe that worked against me a bit. I feel like they want only valedictorian / deans list types here. I found the process quite disappointing, and learned little about any one that interviewed me or the true workings of the company. They skim over answering questions asked by candidates. Overall a bizarre and ineffective interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a specific situation in which you failed, and how did you move forward?   Answer Question
    • Sketch / brainstorm 5 different possible solutions to this design problem. They give you some parameters and constraints...   View Answer
    • How do you deal with ambiguity in requirements designing a component or product?   Answer Question

Had high hopes, $$$ was awesome, but I did not have a warm feeling at all from the interview process. Also their CEO Mr. Molinaroli... Read the news. That is all I will mention about that. Lack of Ethical values at the top are a big red flag for me.

OE Customer Engineering Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Johnson Controls.

First had a phone interview. Then had a panel interview with manager and two other people on the team. No questions out of the ordinary and was all behavioral. Followed by a background check and drug test.

Human Resources Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls.

Submitted resume on Career site and got a phone screen set up for the same week. Asked me to tell me about myself and then explained what I would be doing at the internship. Was expecting to progress to an in person interview with the Hiring manager but instead was hired in about a week after the phone screen. Pleasant experience.

No negotiation. $17.50 for a part-time college internship is very nice therefore negotiation is not needed.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Johnson Controls in October 2014.

Contractor Interview by Service provider to JCI's. Questions related to background, relevant experience in the same industry, working methodology and motivation. Further interview to confirm competencies and motivation. No direct interview with JCI but first week of assignment includes evaluation of competencies following first deliverables.

Interviews

HFM Lead Interview

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls.

Total 3 phone and 3 on site interviews
    I am not satisfied by the final assumptions they made on my behalf

The position label should be HFM analyst and not HFM Lead Architect

Software Engineer Interview

Interview process is quick,
    1 round - Technical (easy, just to verify you eligible )
    2 round - Technical (average, focus on JD)
    3 round - Technical (average, mostly about performance, security)
    4 round - Technical (focus on architecture , design pattern)

Finance Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Johnson Controls.

The hiring and interview process went well. I had a 20 minute interview in person with two supervisors. Johnson Controls is very eager to continue to bring in new talent from College at all ages. If you are thinking about applying for a position, know that once you are brought onto Johnson Controls, you are golden. Two months in I was already meeting with my recruiter talking about my plans for the following year and where I would like to be in the company.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, WI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Johnson Controls.

My initial contact was with an hr rep who emailed me if I was interested in interning at jci. I emailed her back and got an interview in less than a week. I didn't really know what the job description entailed until I got in the interview. I was interviewed by three employees and it actually wasn't all that intimidating of an interview. They offered two different types of roles, one in collections and another in technical support. I chose the collections and was placed in the accounts receivables department. Just make sure you read about the company's history and also it's values. Also ask a lot of questions, it lets the interviewer know that you care about the company.

Interview Questions
    I took the offer right away, the offer was better than a lot of internships around the area.

Staff Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Johnson Controls in September 2014.

The panel conducting the interview was not informed that an interview had been scheduled. Plant tour conducted. Phone and face to face Interview process was quick and easy. Final interview with hiring manager ran 20 minutes into his next meeting and he left abruptly (late).

Talent Management Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls.

Hiring manager called to interview. I was then asked to visit the company HQ to be interviewed by 4 managers, separately. I emailed them twice to ask about their decision but I never heard from them. I think its quite unprofessional for them to invite me over to their office and then not even bother to notify me of their decision. Shows what kind of a company they are.