Johnson Controls

Relevance Date Difficulty

Operations Supervisor Interview

Operations Supervisor
Geneva, IL

I applied online and interviewed at Johnson Controls.

Interview Details – As I've walked into the building, the interior is very old and musty. The chairs were old and dirty. It seems like they didn't put much effort into up- keeping the production plant. HR was late and the position is not even the same as described on the advertisement. It was a waste of my time.

Interview Question – Just the usual "poem" resume reading. . .going down the list.   Answer Question

Content Marketing Manager Interview

Content Marketing Manager
Milwaukee, WI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

Interview Details – 5 hours, 5 people. Some engaged, some distracted and not overly welcoming. 1 person per hour in sequential hours. One interview rather than 2 before hire. Do your homework on product lines. In depth websites provide a great deal of info prior to the interview about corporate responsibility and product lines. Seem to be at odds in the company between marketing and sales on new product developments. Many layers of approvals for initiatives - extreme corporate ladder but upward mobility and leadership pathway programs available. Commitment to sustainability came through. Not overly difficult questions but strongly suggest preparation and research prior to interviewing. Very sharp team. I just wish that there was a planned break or offer of beverage to keep fresh during 5 hours of questions.

Interview Question – Are you sure this would be challenging enough for you - how would you remain fresh with one program focus responsibility?   Answer Question

IT Team Lead Interview

IT Team Lead

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with a recruiter, An interview with HR, The final set of interviews were with the hiring manager, his boss (director), another IT Manager and Sr. Solution Architect each individually. I would say that this your basic corporate IT interview. The questions were open ended and we had a lot of interaction.

Interview Question – Fairly typical straight-forward IT and Project Management questions. Questions on difficult projects and managing resources. Overview of career hitting on highlights. Focus on project and peopel management skills.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Discussed salary and vacation expectations. Benefit package was very good so no negoitions needed.

Collections Coordinator Interview

Collections Coordinator
Milwaukee, WI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

Interview Details – interviewed with three women from different collections departments. rotated asking questions. after about 3 weeks of waiting i called and emailed inquiring about the job. i then recieved an email telling me i was no longer being considered, my understanding was that they decided to hire from within.

Interview Question – pretty standard stuff.   Answer Question

HVAC Engineer Interview

HVAC Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls in July 2013.

Interview Details – The initial interview was by phone with an HR rep in the Milwaukee area. This was generally routine in terms of questions, i.e., no oddball questions. Since I'm applying for "new college grad" position, most of the questions had to do with experiences in education, such as "Did you work with this software or that topic?".
Second interview was also by phone, but with the hiring manager, located in St Louis. Also nothing unexpected here, conversation was mostly about what I like/ am interested in.

Interview Question – "Why are you applying for this job?"   View Answer

Assembler Interview

Assembler
Sycamore, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Johnson Controls in July 2012.

Interview Details – i was unsure what to expect from this company. i had never heard of it before and i had only done a small bit of research upon leaving for my interview. when i entered the office to do my interview, i saw the products that we make and was really impressed. they told me all about the company's history and what they make and where they make it.

Interview Question – no questions that i couldnt answer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – i was able to negotiate but before you except the job, know what it is that you will be doing/

Director Interview

Director
Milwaukee, WI

I applied online - interviewed at Johnson Controls in December 2012.

Interview Details – I received an email from a recruiter in Milwaukee requesting my availability to setup a phone interview. I emailed her my availability but did not get a response after a week. I then called her and she scheduled the interview. She took my number down and said she will call me. On the day and time of the phone interview, she did not call. I called her and left her a message to see if the interview will still take place. I also emailed her but she never got back to me to explain why the interview did not take place or if she was going to reschedule. I left her another message after then but she never responded.

I'm appauled by the negative experience and extremely poor communication by this recruiter. The marketing recruiter is either overwhelmed by the workload or is incompetent. I would have expected much better from a company like Johnson Controls.

Account Representative Interview

Account Representative
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Johnson Controls in February 2013.

Interview Details – Found opening on LinkedIn and then applied via Johnson Controls' website. Regional sales manager called a week or two after posting the application, and asked to set up an interview. I interviewed with regional sales manager and branch manager. Interview was fairly loose; there was no strict regimen for questioning followed. Questions like: Why this position? Why Johnson Controls? What are the components of an HVAC system? What project are you most proud of? Etc. I did my research on the company's product offerings via their website. I read A LOT about the company before the interview to prepare.

Received a phone call 1 week later, asking to come in for another interview, which was scheduled 1 week after the call. Second interview was with branch manager, HR rep, and a former salesman turned HVAC technician. Interview was similar to first one. No barrage of questions or "tricky" questions.

After second interview, took 3-4 weeks for a job offer. Process was PAINFULLY slow and required several approvals from management. From first call to job offer was probably 7 weeks. Then had to complete the HireRight background check and LabCorp drug screening, which took about 2 weeks. So, first interview to start date was 2.5 months. Incredibly long hiring process, IMO.

Interview Question – Having little sales experience, they questioned my dedication to sales. They mentioned putting me in a tech position for 3-5 years then potentially moving me to sales afterward.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Sales Engineer Interview

Sales Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

Interview Details – I met them at the NSBE conference. Interviewed with them Thursday, got an offer Friday. Interview was literally questions about whether I could see myself working there. Very simple.

Interview Question – Can you see yourself being a sales engineer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I should've tired to though.

Process Owner Interview

Process Owner

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

Interview Details – Online app - prepare to cut and paste every portion of your resume. .doc and .pdf do not translate well.

Interview Question – no questions asked   View Answer