Johnson Controls Interview Questions

Updated Sep 25, 2014
Updated Sep 25, 2014

2.9

Sales Engineer Interview

There were two interviews; one was at a campus recruiting event, and the other was at headquarters located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The employees were very pleasant, and everyone I met seemed happy to work there. The interview at Milwaukee was split up into 3 face to face interviews with different people in the company.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online - interviewed at Johnson Controls in December 2012.

I received an email from a recruiter in Milwaukee requesting my availability to setup a phone interview. I emailed her my availability but did not get a response after a week. I then called her and she scheduled the interview. She took my number down and said she will call me. On the day and time of the phone interview, she did not call. I called her and left her a message to see if the interview will still take place. I also emailed her but she never got back to me to explain why the interview did not take place or if she was going to reschedule. I left her another message after then but she never responded.

I'm appauled by the negative experience and extremely poor communication by this recruiter. The marketing recruiter is either overwhelmed by the workload or is incompetent. I would have expected much better from a company like Johnson Controls.

Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

interviewed at Johnson Controls in December 2012.

Apply for the location and position you truly feel is your most desired. Show that you have a drive to win and can do so ethically.

Project Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls in November 2012.

Initial phone screen with HR just asking availablity as the hiring manager was interested in my resume and wanted to bring me in for an interview, and asked the salary range I was looking for.

The in person interview, I met with the manager and director.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult. I liked that they did not ask me to regurgitate my resume like most interviews do.   Answer Question

Production Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Holland, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holland, MI

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

no idea ,no new hires (factory) in several years

Assembler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sycamore, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sycamore, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Johnson Controls in July 2012.

i was unsure what to expect from this company. i had never heard of it before and i had only done a small bit of research upon leaving for my interview. when i entered the office to do my interview, i saw the products that we make and was really impressed. they told me all about the company's history and what they make and where they make it.

Interview Questions
    i was able to negotiate but before you except the job, know what it is that you will be doing/

Six Sigma Black Belt Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Florence, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Florence, SC

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls in June 2012.

I got a phone call from the recruiter and scheduled the initial phone screening a week from the call. The onsite interview followed 2 weeks later. It was a group interview with 5 other people. After the onsite interview, I got a call back within a week and had to visit another site for the watson glazer test, Personality test and case study. This test took about 4 hours and was both written and computer based. The final round was with the overall continuous improvement manager. The offer was made a few days later. The process took about 1 month from the initial phone screen to the final offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were in a situation where you became the team.   Answer Question
    I didn't really negotiate

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Holland, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holland, MI

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Johnson Controls in June 2012.

Face to face interview consisted of three thirty minute meetings with decision making team. Each person had different questions than the other and provided me with a thorough understanding of their position and history with the company. They each allowed time for me to ask questions and it was an easy dialog.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave your current position?   View Answer
    No negotiation necessary - they met my needs and being contract, it isn't the place to barter.

Helpdesk Technician (Temporary) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Gaithersburg, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Johnson Controls in May 2012.

got a call from hr. responded. set up time,date and number to be contacted. that's the OK part. here is where it went wrong, When I asked specifics on the jobs hr could not answer. got a call two days later to number that was not supposed to be used for interview. I had to call back from right phone number, the guy who was doing the interview did not speak clear or consisted in his questioning. these are the requirements for the job which is low level desktop support (A temporary job) as is described

Under general supervision of the local Network Technologist (NT) provides support of Local and Wide Area Networks (LAN/WAN). Responsible for helping to maintain the physical network, file servers, desktop and laptop workstations and applications. All activities to conform with Johnson Controls standards for hardware and software. This is a temporary position to be located in Gaithersburg, MD.
    Qualifications

Associate Degree in computer science or equivalent plus 2 years related experience supporting shared resources in a LAN/WAN environment. Proficiency with troubleshooting concepts; PC workstations (laptops and desktops); Windows operating systems including Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and XP; Microsoft Office products; antivirus software; networking concepts including TCP/IP, routing, and network printing; data backup/recovery concepts; and electronic software delivery methods (WSUS Altiris, FTP). General knowledge required on Microsoft Windows 98 and Windows NT operating systems, network servers, Citrix, and WAN technological concepts. Excellent oral and written communication skills, customer interface skills, problem solving and innovative resolution ability and the ability to be a highly effective team member are required. The following certifications are preferred but not required: MCP (any), Network+, A+, and Security+.

Here is the problem I am not ask about any of this.

I was asked name what ticketing applications I have work with and my experience with them. after I clearly stated that my ticketing experience was hand written forms.then he goes on to asked about remedy (Remedy Action Request System) experience. which is an application .Clearly this guy is a foreigner which I am too, but unlike him English is my first language which is not his. then I was put on hold for 2mins, I am guessing he had to think up two more questions
    I was ask what oracle server experience do I have working on oracle servers , which is not listed above. which is a server administration specific type job and not Helpdesk Technician(DESKTOP SUPPORT!!!!)
    Name what imaging software have I used and my experience with it. I was not asked if I know how to create an image file or how to use it with virtual machines,or on virtual servers or computer which I do know.

then I was then told "you not what I am looking for OK good bye"
    I had to ask him can I ask some questions, he said OK. by the time I stated my that I had two bachelors in engineering (E.E and CPE) he cut me off and said " you do not have the experience that I looking for " . " I have other candidates if it does not work out I call you back "

clearly they are locking For a server Administration support and not Helpdesk Technician (DESKTOP SUPPORT!!! ), but they do not want to pay for a server administrator (which the lowest I have ever seen is 30/ Hr or 62K per year at a small charter school with 350 students doing basic computer work). The job requires you to support the entire company(162,000 employees). I was told by Hr the base salary is at $25/ per hr, which is about 52K per year. form the reviews on this company they do not like to negotiate they only like giving the base pay.

Interview Questions
    • Name the ticketing applications you have used ? ( I am guessing this is what he wanted to say, because he did not speak clearly or proper English to me )   Answer Question
    • What oracle sever experience do you have? ( I am guessing this is what he wanted to say, because he did not speak clearly or proper English to me )   Answer Question

Assembler, Kitter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sycamore, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sycamore, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls in May 2012.

After submitting my application, a week or two later I was interviewed by one of the superintendents. A couple days after that, I was called and asked if I could start the following Monday. I was getting married soon, and knew I would need to be off of work for a couple weeks, coming shortly. They said they would call me back after I returned from our honeymoon "if they still needed` people." I didn't hold out much hope, yet, on the Friday before I returned home, they called again. "Can you start Monday?" I was shocked. I could not give my current employer 2 weeks notice, but I took it anyway.

Interview Questions
    • This is an assembly line job, and I wasn't asked any unexpected questions. Still, it was a bit hard to answer why I wanted to work for JCI, a company I hadn't heard of until about 2 weeks prior.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate, as I did not have previous experience in this field, and was more than happy with what the established contract provided.