Johnson Controls

3.2

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Johnson Controls in November 2014.

Initial contact at university recruiting. Applied for position online and was contacted 2 weeks later for a video interview. 2 weeks after the video interview received an invitation to join the Fall interviewing event for a whole weekend in Milwaukee. It's been 3 weeks since then and haven't heard back yet.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Johnson Controls.

I originally gave my resume to a friend who worked full-time at Johnson Controls. She forwarded my information to someone at the company, and HR called me a month or two after to set up an interview. I spoke with HR briefly about my background, and they set up the on-site interview. The on-site interview lasted a couple hours. I interviewed with an HR representative about my skills and background and then met with the director and VP hiring for the department. I also did a brief skills test (more info. in "Most Difficult or Unexpected Question" section).

I did not receive an offer for the first position for which I interviewed, but because of my other skills and strengths, they passed my information on to another department. I interviewed separately with the other team, and they offered me a long-term internship.

Interview Questions
    • During the interview, I was given a set of data in Excel to "analyze" and had to make a short presentation about my findings. I had about 30 minutes to complete this step. With my experience at the time (university classes), I found this to be quite difficult because of the large amount of data and the freedom to complete the task.   Answer Question

Global Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls in May 2014.

I met with four different people within the company for 30 minutes each after being emailed about a position I applied to two weeks prior. Its was very laid back and they were mostly interested in what examples you can give on things you've done that would help with the position. Many of the typical interview questions were asked and almost no pressure at all. Overall, the process took about four weeks from the time I applied, to being contacted to interview, to actually interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • How many diapers does the City of Milwaukee go through in a year?   Answer Question

Content Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Johnson Controls.

5 hours, 5 people. Some engaged, some distracted and not overly welcoming. 1 person per hour in sequential hours. One interview rather than 2 before hire. Do your homework on product lines. In depth websites provide a great deal of info prior to the interview about corporate responsibility and product lines. Seem to be at odds in the company between marketing and sales on new product developments. Many layers of approvals for initiatives - extreme corporate ladder but upward mobility and leadership pathway programs available. Commitment to sustainability came through. Not overly difficult questions but strongly suggest preparation and research prior to interviewing. Very sharp team. I just wish that there was a planned break or offer of beverage to keep fresh during 5 hours of questions.

Interview Questions
    • Are you sure this would be challenging enough for you - how would you remain fresh with one program focus responsibility?   Answer Question

Collections Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls.

interviewed with three women from different collections departments. rotated asking questions. after about 3 weeks of waiting i called and emailed inquiring about the job. i then recieved an email telling me i was no longer being considered, my understanding was that they decided to hire from within.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online – interviewed at Johnson Controls in December 2012.

I received an email from a recruiter in Milwaukee requesting my availability to setup a phone interview. I emailed her my availability but did not get a response after a week. I then called her and she scheduled the interview. She took my number down and said she will call me. On the day and time of the phone interview, she did not call. I called her and left her a message to see if the interview will still take place. I also emailed her but she never got back to me to explain why the interview did not take place or if she was going to reschedule. I left her another message after then but she never responded.

I'm appauled by the negative experience and extremely poor communication by this recruiter. The marketing recruiter is either overwhelmed by the workload or is incompetent. I would have expected much better from a company like Johnson Controls.

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls in April 2012.

Fairly standard interview questions. Interviewers shared what appear to be fairly significant issues with the company relative to resistance to change management and uneven work/life balance. Interviewers indicated that long hours were expected and projects may have unrealistic expectations.

Technical Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls in January 2012.

Two phone interviews then a physical interview with 6 people over 5 hours. These interviews were set up by a recruiter and an associate HR person. The interview consisted of two HR professionals and three team members. With this type of interview process it is important to ask them what they are looking for and not only just answer what you think they are according to the job description. One HR person will say that they are the easy part of the interview but that actually means you need to be on your toes and very quick rather than be lulled into a comfort zone. If told to: "Tell me something about yourself you don't want me to know", be cautious of what you say. A canned response would not be suggested but a joke would be less desirable. Everyone was very happy and saying hello in the hallways and quite nice to interview with.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something about yourself that you do not want me to know   View Answer

Transportation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Johnson Controls in January 2012.

The HR manager was great! Three months after the position was posted, she emailed me directly to coordinate a phone interview. The interview was conducted favorably and she indicated she would pass on the results to the hiring manager and shared his name with a week time frame. After two weeks went by, I emailed the HR manager with a Thank You and no response. Two weeks after that, I left a voice mail and to did not hear back from the HR manager. Finally, Two months after the initial interview I emailed the HR manager thanking her for the opportunity and indicating I was still interested in the position. Emails were brief and courteous. To date the position lists as open with accepting applications and my application remains submitted.

While communication with the HR manager was pleasant, courteous and punctual, communication since has been unilateral. I can only assume manager is task saturated, overextended or recommended against additional communication.

Supply Chain Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

The process took a weekinterviewed at Johnson Controls in June 2011.

HR interview with a lady who was pleasant to talk to. Situational questions like describe a situation when you attended a meeting where your participation was key . Describe a situation when you set a goal and how you achieved it

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you attended a long meeting and what was the outcome of the meeting and what was your contribution   View Answer