Johnson Controls Interview Questions in Milwaukee, WI

Updated May 18, 2015

3.1

Accountant II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls (Milwaukee, WI) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied about 3 weeks ago then received an email from the HR that hiring manager wanted to do an in-person interview. Set the appointment through email. Met with 2 people in their MBC unit. I actually enjoyed the interview process, both were very nice. I guess the interview process depends on the company and the department you are interviewing with - my interview was to-the-point. NO DRAMA. They never contacted me back to let me know either way. I emailed after a week to find out, still haven't heard 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Basically, they wanted someone who could start the position with minimal training. So, most of the questions were regarding the experience and job description. Two hour long interview and only 2 or 3 personally/behavioral questions.   1 Answer

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Johnson Controls (Milwaukee, WI) in November 2014.

Interview

Initial contact at university recruiting. Applied for position online and was contacted 2 weeks later for a video interview. 2 weeks after the video interview received an invitation to join the Fall interviewing event for a whole weekend in Milwaukee. It's been 3 weeks since then and haven't heard back yet.

Talent Sourcing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls (Milwaukee, WI) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very pleasant if a bit lengthy. The team was being created brand new, and there were several individuals of varying executive level involved in the interview process. Each interview was a very friendly conversation 1:1 with one of the members of the hiring team. Several questions were asked in which specific examples from past experience were asked for.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls (Glendale, WI).

Interview

They had me give a powerpoint presentation about my past engineering work. Precarious task considering most of what i have ever engineered is done with very strict confidentiality agreements. They also try and assess your creativity and eng knowledge to some extent by putting you on the spot. It is somewhat like being grilled in front of a Graduate Review board when you get your MS or Phd. They don't try to learn about you as a person so much as assess your robotic and calculative potential. I am an intelligent and effective engineer, but not always an eloquent speaker and I believe that worked against me a bit. I feel like they want only valedictorian / deans list types here. I found the process quite disappointing, and learned little about any one that interviewed me or the true workings of the company. They skim over answering questions asked by candidates. Overall a bizarre and ineffective interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a specific situation in which you failed, and how did you move forward?   Answer Question
    • Sketch / brainstorm 5 different possible solutions to this design problem. They give you some parameters and constraints...   1 Answer
    • How do you deal with ambiguity in requirements designing a component or product?   Answer Question

Had high hopes, $$$ was awesome, but I did not have a warm feeling at all from the interview process. Also their CEO Mr. Molinaroli... Read the news. That is all I will mention about that. Lack of Ethical values at the top are a big red flag for me.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Johnson Controls (Glendale, WI).

Interview

My initial contact was with an hr rep who emailed me if I was interested in interning at jci. I emailed her back and got an interview in less than a week. I didn't really know what the job description entailed until I got in the interview. I was interviewed by three employees and it actually wasn't all that intimidating of an interview. They offered two different types of roles, one in collections and another in technical support. I chose the collections and was placed in the accounts receivables department. Just make sure you read about the company's history and also it's values. Also ask a lot of questions, it lets the interviewer know that you care about the company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I took the offer right away, the offer was better than a lot of internships around the area.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Johnson Controls (Milwaukee, WI).

Interview

I originally gave my resume to a friend who worked full-time at Johnson Controls. She forwarded my information to someone at the company, and HR called me a month or two after to set up an interview. I spoke with HR briefly about my background, and they set up the on-site interview. The on-site interview lasted a couple hours. I interviewed with an HR representative about my skills and background and then met with the director and VP hiring for the department. I also did a brief skills test (more info. in "Most Difficult or Unexpected Question" section). I did not receive an offer for the first position for which I interviewed, but because of my other skills and strengths, they passed my information on to another department. I interviewed separately with the other team, and they offered me a long-term internship.

Interview Questions

• During the interview, I was given a set of data in Excel to "analyze" and had to make a short presentation about my findings. I had about 30 minutes to complete this step. With my experience at the time (university classes), I found this to be quite difficult because of the large amount of data and the freedom to complete the task.   Answer Question

Global Product Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls (Milwaukee, WI) in May 2014.

Interview

I met with four different people within the company for 30 minutes each after being emailed about a position I applied to two weeks prior. Its was very laid back and they were mostly interested in what examples you can give on things you've done that would help with the position. Many of the typical interview questions were asked and almost no pressure at all. Overall, the process took about four weeks from the time I applied, to being contacted to interview, to actually interviewing.

Interview Questions

• How many diapers does the City of Milwaukee go through in a year?   Answer Question

Content Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Johnson Controls (Milwaukee, WI).

Interview

5 hours, 5 people. Some engaged, some distracted and not overly welcoming. 1 person per hour in sequential hours. One interview rather than 2 before hire. Do your homework on product lines. In depth websites provide a great deal of info prior to the interview about corporate responsibility and product lines. Seem to be at odds in the company between marketing and sales on new product developments. Many layers of approvals for initiatives - extreme corporate ladder but upward mobility and leadership pathway programs available. Commitment to sustainability came through. Not overly difficult questions but strongly suggest preparation and research prior to interviewing. Very sharp team. I just wish that there was a planned break or offer of beverage to keep fresh during 5 hours of questions.

Interview Questions

• Are you sure this would be challenging enough for you - how would you remain fresh with one program focus responsibility?   Answer Question

Collections Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Johnson Controls (Milwaukee, WI).

Interview

interviewed with three women from different collections departments. rotated asking questions. after about 3 weeks of waiting i called and emailed inquiring about the job. i then recieved an email telling me i was no longer being considered, my understanding was that they decided to hire from within.

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Johnson Controls (Milwaukee, WI) in December 2012.

Interview

I received an email from a recruiter in Milwaukee requesting my availability to setup a phone interview. I emailed her my availability but did not get a response after a week. I then called her and she scheduled the interview. She took my number down and said she will call me. On the day and time of the phone interview, she did not call. I called her and left her a message to see if the interview will still take place. I also emailed her but she never got back to me to explain why the interview did not take place or if she was going to reschedule. I left her another message after then but she never responded. I'm appauled by the negative experience and extremely poor communication by this recruiter. The marketing recruiter is either overwhelmed by the workload or is incompetent. I would have expected much better from a company like Johnson Controls.