Johnson Matthey US

Relevance Date Difficulty

Process Control Engineer Interview

Process Control Engineer
Wayne, PA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Johnson Matthey US in April 2014.

Interview Details – Met at my university's career fair, where they took my resume. Called then emailed me about setting up an interview. Had a full day onsite interview a few weeks later. Two other people interviewing that day as well. Did introductions, tour and lunch with them. Interviewed 1 on 1 with two people. Got call for job offer about three days later.

Interview Question – Do you have any questions? They were good at providing information all day and asked this so many times it was hard to continuously come up with questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to push back my start date.

Very Easy Interview

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
Downingtown, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Johnson Matthey US in April 2010.

Interview Details – Contacted via email. Interview onsite with two managers at downingtown, PA facility. No difficult questions asked. They wanted a brief "explain yourself" monologue, explanation of the job tasks, and a tour of the facilities.

the managers were dishonest and tried to make it an unpaid internship eventhough it was advertised as paid. Had to negotiate with them.

Interview Question – N/A   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was over salary. Told them they advertised pay, they said they will have to see. got an email response later for salary.

Very Easy Interview

Washcoat Engineer Interview

Washcoat Engineer

Interviewed at Johnson Matthey US

Interview Details – From what I have heard the hiring process is much different now. When I interviewed 7 years ago it was a 5 minute ordeal since back then your reputation pretty much guaranteed you the position. In fact I was asked 1 question: "Why do you want this job?" At which I simply stated "I want to be responsible for millions of dollars worth of PGM inventory and not afraid to make a tough call". End result.....HIRED!

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation phase at JM. It is what it is.

Chemist Interview

Chemist
Pasadena, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Johnson Matthey US.

Interview Details – Applied online. Emailed questions to answer. Called for phone interview. Interviewed in person. Ask about work history then toured the building. Called back to interview on another time with HR. Asked behavior type questions. HR recorded my response. Call again to verify references and references were emailed a question sheet. Reference need to be past manager. Took over 2 weeks for response from background check and drug test and was told they could not offer salary/position until everything cleared. HR clearly didn't know what they were doing. Hiring process took over a month after offer. I was offered 3 other jobs by the time they could make an offer.

Interview Question – Name a time you had to deal with a difficult employee and how you handle the situation.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary was so low I could not believe it. They were not willing to negotiate. All the overtime in the world wouldn't help me with that kind of money. Could work down the street and make $8-10 more an hour.

Applications Engineer Interview

Applications Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Johnson Matthey US.

Interview Details – There was a telephonic interview followed by an onsite interview. The questions were mostly related to my research work.

Interview Question – None of the question were very difficult   Answer Question

Management Interview

Management
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Johnson Matthey US in December 2012.

Interview Details – Interview, what interview. I was contacted and a phone interview was set up. Performed all my preparations; research, questions, reviewed my work history to align with the position, but when the time came for the interview, no call came, nothing. No notice of cancelation was given and after waiting 30 minutes I messaged in that I was not contacted & did not receive a notice of cancelation or a rescheduled time. I waited a week for a response before calling in again. When I did I got conflicting reasons for the “no call, no notice” and was told I would be contacted again. Later I was contacted by email and got additional conflicting messages along with the news of my cancelation and was informed that the position will not be filled. If this is how they treat job seekers during “the great recession” I can only imagine how they treat their employees once they are on-board.

Interview Question – Be prepaired to be stood up   Answer Question

Graduate Programmer Interview

Graduate Programmer

Interviewed at Johnson Matthey US

Interview Details – Phone interview, on site super-day interview, with a dinner reception the night before

Interview Question – Group exercise   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Johnson Matthey US.

Interview Details – The company came to recruit interns from our campus' through the placement cell. It opened only for chemistry and chemical engineering students. Out of the 20 students shortlisted, 2 were finally selected, both from the Chemical Engineering department. There was resume shortlisting, followed by a technical interview. The interview had questions pertaining to chemical processes like catalysis and inorganic analysis.

Interview Question – Being a girl, how will you manage to travel alone?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Process Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Johnson Matthey US in March 2013.

Interview Details – They arranged a phone interview for a specific date and time and they call me two days before.
They asqued questions like:
Why did you study chemical engineering?
What is your experience as a process engineer?
They asked for a candidate with experience for more than 4 in their specifical role, but they could see in my CV that i did't have this experience

Interview Question – They unexpectedly called me.   Answer Question

Chemist Interview

Chemist

Interviewed at Johnson Matthey US

Interview Details – In the first stage I was interviewed over the phone, 30 minutes, the chat was relatively relaxed and the main aim was to find out more about my skills and the job itself.
The second stage was an assessment centre with five other people. We were a varied group, from recent BSc graduates to Ph.D.s with lots of industrial experience. We were given an overview of JM and then proceeded to two group exercises. This was quite fun but did involve some sitting on the floor. We also has opportunities to ask some senior level scientists questions. The last part was a set of three tests, numerical, verbal and abstract reasoning and then finally a phychometric test.
The third stage are personal interviews which do include technical questions, mainly how you would proceed in a given situation and how you have proceeded in real life situations.
The people at JM were friendly so the process was not too traumatic.

Interview Question – Technical question, how would you go about developing a JM product?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Johnson Matthey US? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Johnson Matthey US interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Johnson Matthey US employees and interview candidates.