Johnson Matthey US Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.4

Process Control Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Johnson Matthey US (Smithfield, PA) in June 2014.

Interview

Applied online and received a call to schedule an interview a few days later. Panel interview seemed to go okay but was a bit stand-offish. Then took a computer test with basic math and reading skills. Took around 2 hours or so for everything. It took them several weeks to inform me I was not selected. I was then instructed that I could apply to lesser non-engineering position within the company, which I did not pursue.

Interview Questions

• Basic behavioral questions in a panel, then a plant tour where more questions were asked and finally a computer aptitude test.   Answer Question

Process Control Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Johnson Matthey US (Wayne, PA) in April 2014.

Interview

Met at my university's career fair, where they took my resume. Called then emailed me about setting up an interview. Had a full day onsite interview a few weeks later. Two other people interviewing that day as well. Did introductions, tour and lunch with them. Interviewed 1 on 1 with two people. Got call for job offer about three days later.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions? They were good at providing information all day and asked this so many times it was hard to continuously come up with questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to push back my start date.

Washcoat Engineer Interview

Interview

From what I have heard the hiring process is much different now. When I interviewed 7 years ago it was a 5 minute ordeal since back then your reputation pretty much guaranteed you the position. In fact I was asked 1 question: "Why do you want this job?" At which I simply stated "I want to be responsible for millions of dollars worth of PGM inventory and not afraid to make a tough call". End result.....HIRED!

Negotiation

There is no negotiation phase at JM. It is what it is.

Chemist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Johnson Matthey US (Pasadena, TX).

Interview

Applied online. Emailed questions to answer. Called for phone interview. Interviewed in person. Ask about work history then toured the building. Called back to interview on another time with HR. Asked behavior type questions. HR recorded my response. Call again to verify references and references were emailed a question sheet. Reference need to be past manager. Took over 2 weeks for response from background check and drug test and was told they could not offer salary/position until everything cleared. HR clearly didn't know what they were doing. Hiring process took over a month after offer. I was offered 3 other jobs by the time they could make an offer.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to deal with a difficult employee and how you handle the situation.   Answer Question

Salary was so low I could not believe it. They were not willing to negotiate. All the overtime in the world wouldn't help me with that kind of money. Could work down the street and make $8-10 more an hour.

Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Johnson Matthey US.

Interview

There was a telephonic interview followed by an onsite interview. The questions were mostly related to my research work.

Management Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Johnson Matthey US (Boston, MA) in December 2012.

Interview

Interview, what interview. I was contacted and a phone interview was set up. Performed all my preparations; research, questions, reviewed my work history to align with the position, but when the time came for the interview, no call came, nothing. No notice of cancelation was given and after waiting 30 minutes I messaged in that I was not contacted & did not receive a notice of cancelation or a rescheduled time. I waited a week for a response before calling in again. When I did I got conflicting reasons for the “no call, no notice” and was told I would be contacted again. Later I was contacted by email and got additional conflicting messages along with the news of my cancelation and was informed that the position will not be filled. If this is how they treat job seekers during “the great recession” I can only imagine how they treat their employees once they are on-board.

Temporary Lab Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Johnson Matthey US (Devens, MA) in June 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by a hiring agency that had an opportunity for a 6 month position as a lab assistant. I interviewed with three people at the same time. Everyone was very nice and i felt comfortable as if it were a normal conversation and not as if I were being interrogated. They tested my knowledge of a few basic chemistry lab techniques. Overall it was a good experience.

Interview Questions

• questioned on the structure of a simple compound and the setup of a distillation process.   Answer Question

I received a second offer that was closer to where i lived that i accepted.

Summer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Johnson Matthey US (Downingtown, PA) in April 2010.

Interview

Contacted via email. Interview onsite with two managers at downingtown, PA facility. No difficult questions asked. They wanted a brief "explain yourself" monologue, explanation of the job tasks, and a tour of the facilities.

the managers were dishonest and tried to make it an unpaid internship eventhough it was advertised as paid. Had to negotiate with them.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was over salary. Told them they advertised pay, they said they will have to see. got an email response later for salary.

Interview

Phone interview, on site super-day interview, with a dinner reception the night before

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Johnson Matthey US.

Interview

The company came to recruit interns from our campus' through the placement cell. It opened only for chemistry and chemical engineering students. Out of the 20 students shortlisted, 2 were finally selected, both from the Chemical Engineering department. There was resume shortlisting, followed by a technical interview. The interview had questions pertaining to chemical processes like catalysis and inorganic analysis.