Jones and Bartlett Publishers Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Jones and Bartlett Publishers

Publisher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Jones and Bartlett Publishers.

Very personal. Looking for people who are thoughtful about where educational publishing is headed via digital -- ideas about learning, not just solutions. They didn't ask an overwhelming number of questions. It was more of a discussion. They really energized me.

Interview Questions
    • Why come to a small company? Can you handle lots of change and uncertainty?   Answer Question
    Super supportive.

Rights & Photo Research Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Jones and Bartlett Publishers in April 2014.

On a telephone interview

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how I would handle "impossible" deadlines.   View Answer

Editorial Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Jones and Bartlett Publishers.

I received a phone call a few weeks after applying to schedule a phone interview with a recruiter. It was very brief, only about 5 minutes long. She basically just described the position and asked why I thought I would be a good match. Then I had a phone interview with the hiring manager, which lasted longer. It was about 30-40 minutes, and it was a much more detailed description of the job and gave me a chance to talk about my experience. Finally, the in person interview was held at the Burlington office and lasted about three hours. I sat in a conference room the whole time as seven different people came in and out and asking me about my resume and telling me about their position. In retrospect, there was no need to have half of those people on the interview, since I have not worked with any of them directly nor are they in my department.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers' first question was "can you explain to me this gap in your employment history?" and it was during the years I was a student in college. It seems as though they weren't taking a very deep look at my resume.   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Jones and Bartlett Publishers.

I was working
    as a temp and asked if I would be interested in interviewing for a position that had just opened. I interviewed with two peers, a production manager, and my soon-to-be boss. The peer interview was particularly awkward because I was already working with them. The production editor explained how the production cycle worked and showed me examples of the books I would work on. The interview with the Acquisitions Editor mainly explained responsibilities.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a list of the company values and asked to give an example of how I showed or fit those values.   Answer Question
    I was already working there, so there wasn't really a negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sudbury, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sudbury, MA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Jones and Bartlett Publishers in June 2011.

A professor from an old internship had recommended me for a different position in the company and sent them my resume. When they called, however, I said I'd be more interested in the Editorial Assistant position, so they forwarded my resume to the department. I was contacted by HR for an interview a week or two later.

The entire interview process lasted about an hour and a half. First, I talked to the Senior Editor for the division where I'd be working, then the other Editorial Assistant who would be my coworker, then someone from Production, then the big boss of the entire division, then an HR person who didn't ask any questions but just told me about the benefits. They asked mostly standard questions for the position--why publishing, why this company, my organizational strategy, supervision I work best under, how I cooperate as part of a team, etc. They were all quite nice and it went fairly well. They don't throw any curveballs; I was just somewhat unprepared since this was my first real job interview since graduating college.

Interview Questions
    • What is your organizational strategy?   Answer Question
    • What are your future goals at Jones & Bartlett, if you have any?   View Answer

Permissions Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jones and Bartlett Publishers in May 2012.

So where to begin... Was there a position? Was it a position in a position? Did I imagine the whole thing?

I interviewed for this position twice.

The first time the woman wanted to know if I was weird and was more interested in my personality. That was fine. She described the department like it was made of interesting personalities. I thought I did well. But it didn't matter. She got fired. No one contacted me about this. I found out from someone who worked there that she was fired.

So I see they posted about the position again. I call and say I want to reapply. HR says sure but they want to hire a manager first. Okay... I apply and a week later I get a call for an interview. It gets scheduled the same week. I was pleased with that.

I go in and the HR woman meets me. She is quite nice. Questions are easy. No issue. Then the next person comes in. Apparently they did not hire a replacement because it is someone higher up. I thought she was nice as well. She gave me a lot of information. She asked the standard questions about my background. My only criticism is that her jewelry was very distracting. I am quite pleased with the interview so far.

Then comes the first round of people from the department. They are the level you would be at. They didn't know what they were doing. I got the weird question again. I was prepared. But to be honest I didn't see the personalities described in the first interview. It felt more like I was interviewing to be their friend. When I handed them copies of my resume and letters of recommendation, they looked confused. I happen to think this is an awful way to interview someone. I found it uncomfortable to be judged on friendship at the same time by people who have worked there a year or less. I get they want the opinion of others in the department but I don't see how one can be judged within a half hour how they mesh with their personalities.

The second round of people are from the department but higher positions. They were nice. Two made eye contact. The third did not and it felt a little cold. Questions were repeated from the previous group interview. But they seemed a bit more together than the others. They were also interested in my past experience. But none of them have been there longer than about a year

All in all I would not say it was a bad interview. But it felt a little disorganized. And it was a waste of time, stress, and printer ink. I didn't like being judged on personality and being rushed at the same time. However, nothing they asked put me off. I spoke honestly and everyone seemed very nice. It had a nice atmosphere. But what happened!

Well I get an email a week later that they decided to change things around in the department and there is no position. So I went through all that for no position. It is obvious that it is a company that does not have its act together. I don't know why they would not do this before interviewing people. But it does make me question the longevity of employment if they are constantly changing the department around and no one has been there that long. They also do not have a manager. So I didn't get the job because there was no job to have... So I feel one should take that into consideration when applying that this may be a boondoggle position with the company.

I have decided not to apply to Jones and Bartlett in the future. It is too bad for them. I would have been a great asset to their company.

Editorial Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jones and Bartlett Publishers in July 2011.

Initial Phone Interview followed by several on-site interviews. The appointments were back-to-back and the process was grueling. Also, I left with a negative impression of HR's abilities to coordinate effectively.