Jump Trading Interview Questions

Updated Mar 9, 2015
Updated Mar 9, 2015

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jump Trading (Champaign, IL).

Interview

The Interview process started with an online coding round. It followed with a telephonic round which was mostly a discussion about the questions in the coding round and how I solved them.

I was called for on-site interviews at the Champaign office. There were 3 interviews and 2 of my interviews started off and focussed entirely on their grid infrastructure team, improving backend systems runtime and improving the performance of the data analytics solution.

In both these interviews after 15-20 minutes, the interviewers discussed current problems that they were facing and I was proposing solutions to the problems. If not solutions, I mentioned the right areas to look for problems where certain optimizations could be done. The 3rd interview covered some C++ questions, unix-usage commands, fixing memory issues in C/C++ etc, my projects.

At the end of the 3 interviews, the recruiter said that the team was impressed by my skills and they were looking for people with those specific skill. The next day, I was called to meet in person for follow-up where I was told that I was not selected. That was outrageously bad. If I was not selected, why didn't they just send an email or a phone-call.

I liked the work that the interviewers talked about and would like to apply again. I felt bad that I was not selected, but the worst thing was I was called in-person to hear that I wasn't selected.

Interview Questions

• Some easy C++ questions are - diamond inheritance, virtual destructors etc.   2 Answers

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Jump Trading.

Interview

Ran into them at a career fair and answered a few quick coding questions (Write the function isPalindrome in any language, write a function to print numbers 1-100 in python). Within about a week, I was brought in for an on-campus interview. The interview was pretty standard; they asked me to talk a little about my resume then answer a white-board coding question. After about another week, I was flown out to their Chicago office for a full day of interviews. There were 5 interviews total: four technical, one behavioral.

Interview Questions

• Q: Given an array of chars, implement the function malloc from C. Make sure to write malloc in a way that you will be able to implement the function "free" later (The second part of the question is to write free).   2 Answers

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jump Trading (Champaign, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone interview, followed by code challenge, and then onsite three rounds.

This company is horrible for technical roles. For a summer intern first they took so many interviews but anyway this is upto company. Despite interviewing all rounds they said that results will be announced the very next day. My interviews went excellent and I could see interviewer write 5/5 or 4/5 for all questions I answered. The next I got a call saying that they want to discuss about the position. It was -17 deg c in Champaign and they invited to Starbucks and told me that I did exceptionally well but can not offer position because project requirement does not match. I was like seriously? You couldn't figure that out from the CV! and what is this way of inviting people in freezing cold and telling that they can't offer position. Also, they said they invited because they want feedback on the interview process.

I felt insulted and this is just horrible. Do no waste your time by interviewing with this company, specially you are from reputed school like mine.

Interview Questions

• All questions were easy. I was definitely more knowledgable than recruiter.   Answer Question

Interview

I applied through campus, first have a 45 mins oncampus interview. After passed through it, I was invited to Chicago for an onsite interview. All the technical questions were not difficult. I think all are at undergraduate level. I solved all the technical questions. They also asked some behavior questions.

Quant Support Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jump Trading (Chicago, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

One phone interview and one on-site interview. It's a pretty small team, five people. I talked to four of them (one was away for the holidays). The there was a good mix of getting-to-know-you questions and technical questions, none of which were too difficult. Really really nice office.

Interview Questions

• A design challenge, basic Python and bash scripting, knowing how certain data structures work (array lists/vectors and linked lists)   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jump Trading.

Interview

Got a call setting up a phone screen with a more senior trader. Asked me about what courses I have taken in college, why I liked them etc. There were no brain teasers as he said that it was not a very good indicator of what makes a good trader. Got notified a little bit later that I had received a final round interview

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Jump Trading (Madison, WI) in September 2014.

Interview

I just talked to one of their job recruiters at a on campus career fair. I gave him my resume, and he asked me to write a very easy function. He said my function can be optimized and told me to wait for the email, but he never contacts me again.

Interview Questions

• It was an on campus career fair. One of the recruiters asked me to write a function that prints out fizz when the parameter is divisible by 3 and prints out buzz when it is divisible by 5. And it can be in any programming language   1 Answer

Interview

Was referred by a recruiter. Jump liked my CV (I've extensive experience in the field). But they wanted me to take a C++ programming test --- even before an introductory conversation with them. Perhaps I'm being a prima donna, but I like a little chit-chat before being asked for a date.

Interview Questions

• "Will you invest an hour of your time taking a test for a job in which you haven't yet established you might be interested?   1 Answer

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jump Trading (Chicago, IL) in July 2014.

Interview

It was a pleasant experience. Every person I met seemed very friendly. The questions were not to difficult but they were not too specific. I expected more questions about benefits since this role was a benefits position but I only got very few questions concerning benefits.

Interview Questions

• If we spoke to your friends, what would be one lie they would tell us about you?   Answer Question

Trader Support Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Jump Trading in June 2014.

Interview

Applied on website and got email two days after. Head of HR and a 10 years experience interview me. The interview was going over the resume and see whether I have interest in debugging and also nigh shift work.