Jumpstart

Updated Oct 27, 2014
Updated Oct 27, 2014

2.7

Coordinator Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Jumpstart.

Applications process was to send in a résumé along with a cover letter. I then received an email asking for a brief phone interview. The ladies that spoke to me were very professional and kind. The phone interview lasted for 30 minutes. A couple hours later they emailed me for an in-person interview.

Interview Questions
    They were opened and let me know there is room for growth

Corps Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Jumpstart.

The online application is lengthy and requires a lot of detail. Best to have past experience working with children either by some kind of volunteer work or community service. The application is pretty simple and straightforward, just answer honestly and make sure you sound ardent about what you do.

Interview Questions
    • Straight forward questions about working with children and in a group with other member and what would you do in certain situation. Pretty much questions similar to what was asked in the online application.   View Answer
    Just figuring out which days you'll work depending on your schedule.

Jumpstart Corps Member Interview

personal, don't feel scared or timid. talk about real life scenarios. would ask what would you do if this happened. got you thinking about future and current goals and how this could help you. more then just a job.

Jumpstart Corps Member Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Jumpstart.

First, I submitted a very detailed application and corresponding 'essay' type questions, which took a few hours to be able to really sit down and properly work through. The interview was one-on-one and very straightforward. The questions were aimed at gleaning information about your skills and strengths. This position is for college students who may not have much professional experience, but who likely might have had a chance to lead a group or volunteer.

Interview Questions
    • No tough questions - just know your skill set and past experiences well so that you can explain how you would apply what you know to the position. Also, do some research into the position and perhaps the national discourse on education, reform, etc.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Jumpstart.

Basic Questions

Jumpstart Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jumpstart in August 2013.

I received an email from a Jumpstart site manager from my university inviting me to apply to become a corps member. I promptly completed the questionnaire. Few days later, they asked when I could come in for an interview. In the interview there were three other applicants. We were all asked the same questions. Site manager alternated the order in which she asked the questions. We were asked to implement a section of a sample lesson plan as a team. We also read from one of the books used during the year. Be enthusiastic and demonstrate you care!

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with difficult children?   View Answer
    Financial aid office determines how much you make based on other financial aid given. Site manager did get them to increase the final work study award a bit.

Jumpstart Corps Member Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Jumpstart.

The interview went well because my interviewer was very nice and professional. I was asked a number of questions off of a sheet. There were a lot of questions where I was given a scenario and asked what I would do in that situation to achieve a certain goal. The questions seem like more of a preparation for you to understand what you need to do on the job and also to help them learn about you to match you to a child. Basically, it seems like everyone that applies gets hired. I think I was offered a job right at the end of the interview (can't quite remember).

Interview Questions
    • How would you bring literacy to the block area?

Your team members are off task and distracted. How would you get their attention and get them back on task?

Answer Question
    no negotiation. you get paid a set workstudy amount or stipend. If you want the americorps education award, you must commit to a certain number of hours.

Jumpstart Corps Member Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Jumpstart.

It's an one on one interview and they ask basic questions about your past experiences and your experiences with teaching children.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if your group members did not follow directions?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jumpstart in October 2010.

I emailed the representative for the university, she contacted me back and told me to complete the online application in which I did. A few days later I was called in for an in person interview. She was very nice and calming. The interview room was in the individual prep room with had tons of arts and crafts so It lightened the situation a bit. The site managers were fairly young and light hearted.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a disruptive or problem child.   View Answer
    • How would you resolve a dispute between corps members?   View Answer
    They offered me a position on the spot. You do however have time to think about it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Jumpstart in September 2010.

It was one of the most unique interviews I'd ever been in. They don't interrogate you across the room like most interviewers. They have crayons and markers and posterboards and pipe cleaners laid out all across the table. They ask you to draw pictures and think of scenarios and design activities.

Interview Questions
    • Don't remember. The best thing to do is focus everything back to the benefit of the child or children. It was all basic interview questions, just catered toward playing with and being around children.   View Answer
    No negotiation. They basically pay you minimum wage and they let you know how many hours you must work. You don't find out where or what preschool you will work at until they are done with hiring and they place everyone according to where they live.