K12 Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

2.5

Online Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at K12.

Interview

Phone interview with two administrators. There was a set of pre-made interview questions. THe questions were very straight forward. Why do you want to be an online teacher? Are you comfortable with technology?

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable with technology?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They would not negotiate with salary, or even respond to my request. My salary was 15k below a brick and mortar school salary.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at K12.

Interview

First I had to answer four extensive questions in a written format to pre-screen for an interview. Next, during a screening interview, I met with four individuals by phone during a tag-team session. During the final interview round I met with two individuals in person at the site where I applied. The questions from both interviews were identical. At the end of the process, despite the hours I spent speaking with staff, writing responses, and preparing to meet, the only courtesy the company afforded me was an automated email that stated, "We regret to inform you the position has been filled." It did NOT state any appreciation for my time or effort, any reference to keeping my resume on file for future openings despite being a final round candidate, or any kind of personalized message indicating that they had met and spoke with me personally -- it was robotic. I was also never contacted by any sort of human resources individual or recruiter from the company, so I had no one to speak to update me on progress or answer questions. It was a very cold and impersonal process; I found the person-to-person contact to be canned and the final contact to be unprofessional. Furthermore, there was a discrepancy in position revealed during the process where high-level management defined the position in a completely different way than mid-level management. Frankly put, the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing. I would not choose to apply to this organization again.

Virtual Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at K12 in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online. A week or so later I had an initial interview- much like brick and mortar interviews.. Two days later I received an email from HR requesting a 20-30 min lesson on blackboard. Frustrating because you can't pause it or review it prior to sending, but could be a good thing so you don't over analyze your performance. It's been a few days now, and hoping to get a call/email update soon! I wish there was a way to check your status, and at this moment I feel like a number in the system.

Interview Questions

• Top 3 strengths, your greatest accomplishment, technology comfort, prior blackboard experience, why virtual teaching   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at K12 (Houston, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

Very nice. Short and to the point typical questions. The interviewer was a recruiter so he couldn't give me much information on the next step in the process. Overall it went well.

Online Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at K12 in June 2015.

Interview

Recruiter called and asked basic questions about teaching.The interview went fine but then they have you do a mock lesson that's at least 20-30 minutes in length that can't even be viewed after it's completed. Did I mention they only give you two days to get this done? I thought it was a tough and unfair assessment of one's teaching worth. No way to stop and start it, if you mess up you have to start over. Before I even got the recruiter to call, I had to complete a skill, IQ, and personality test that took about an hour. It was definitely more difficult than applying at a traditional school.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever used Blackboard before? List your 3 greatest strengths. Why would you be a good fit for the online teaching position?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at K12 (Herndon, VA).

Interview

I saw an opening so talked to some friends there. Based on their feedback and the company's reputation, I was not overly excited. One phone interview was followed by an on site interview with three product people. The interviews went well but then I never heard from them again. Classy!

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected - why do you want to work here? What products have you worked on? etc.   Answer Question

High School Inter Program (HIP) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at K12 (Herndon, VA).

Interview

First interview was a Skype interview with two people from human resources. The next interview took place in person with a panel of about four of the heads of various departments in the company. The interviewers were friendly and the environment was not too stressful. Overall, it was not a bad experience.

Interview Questions

• Interview was a while ago, don't remember specifics. I do remember though that the interviewers referenced specific things i had said in my application essays.   Answer Question

Online Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at K12.

Interview

Applied and about 2 weeks later contacted by email for an initial phone interview. Initial phone interview was 30 minutes. They will contact me with a second interview next week

Interview Questions

• Asked a lot of great questions. Experience, technology comfort level, past challenges etc   Answer Question

Interview

Met with 3 project managers. Basic questions about how to manage scope, schedule, resources. Some follow up along the lines of "what would I do if" and which project management levers to pull in order to bring the project back in line. Then some questions that relate to stakeholder interaction and how best to get the business need represented in some reasonable sense of scope and timeline.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle decision making when senior management is inattentive?   Answer Question

Education Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at K12.

Interview

Initial communication from recruiter was very positive. Follow on interviews with Senior leaders was very positive - very transparent, professional, and warm. I know the company has been through recent turbulence, but I strongly believe they will overcome their challenges and continue to do great things for virtual education across the US and beyond.

Interview Questions

• There really weren't any unexpected or difficult questions.   Answer Question