K12

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Senior User Experience Designer
Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at K12 in January 2012.

Interview Details – After a phone screening, I was brought it for a 3 hour face-to-face interview. I interviewed with various individuals from various disciplines (e.g. UX, PM, BA, etc). I heard back from the recruiter a week or so later with an offer.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Herndon, VA

I applied online - interviewed at K12 in May 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was fairly simple. Had a HR phone interview and then a short 1:1 interview.

It took a long time for them to get back to me and to give my offer letter.

Interview Question – All questions were straight forward   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary was good and I did not negotiate

Finance Manager Interview

Interviewed at K12

Interview Details – Received a call from a recruiter to interview for a finance manager role. Met with the VP of finance. He said, if he liked me he would refer me down channel to the director. I commented that it normally works in the other direction. He said he is very particular.

Interview Question – Explain why you leave your jobs and the answer needs to be more in depth than "received better opportunity."   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – After receiving offer and discussing it over with the recruiter, I was informed this recruiter sent him 25 candidates who ranged from VP level to analyst. I was told the hiring manager didn't know what level he wanted the new hire to be at. I realized anybody at the VP level who has no clue what type of staff he wants should not be at an executive level. I would not enjoy working with a person who cannot make a decision.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enrollment Consultant Interview

Enrollment Consultant
Herndon, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at K12 in May 2012.

Interview Details – Interview consisted of a group panel presentation followed by all candidates being split up to interview with individual recruiters. Those who had references were picked first for interviews. I am fully beginning to realize the large role that office politics plays within this company. It seems that the vast majority of people working there were only hired because they were friends/family/buddies of currently staffed employees. This hiring practice although discriminatory in nature is not illegal but it certainly is bad business ethics and will eventually lead to a high turnover rate. I reviewed many employee profiles on LinkedIn who held the job title that I interviewed for and was consequently disqualified from and my qualifications exceeded over 70% of the applicants who secured the job in both 1) quality of education and 2) relevant work experience. Hiring close friends and family does not diversify the workplace and violates any claim of being an Equal Opportunity Employer. K12 really is managed by amateur, unprofessional employees and it seems more and more evident that employees are not satisfied with how the company is managed. I believe that Corporate should terminate many of those currently staffed in management positions, especially those in the recruiting department.

Very Easy Interview

SQA Engineer, Lead Interview

Herndon, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at K12 in April 2012.

Interview Details – The HR Representative contacted me via email and set up an interview time with three individuals: A peer (SQA Engineer), a Director, and a Vice President. I was escorted to a conference room and waited a little over 10 minutes for the first person to come in. The director arrived, identified herself as new to the company, described the basic job responsibilities and plan. About 20 minutes later, two Senior SQA analysts joined. I noted that the test case writing standards identified by the director differed from the test case format described by one of the SQA Engineers. The VP did not appear for the interview. The two SQA Engineers ended the interview fairly abruptly as one had a meeting to attend. The next day, I reached out to the HR Representative for feedback and was informed "I will pass along any feedback I receive and will follow up with the lead recruiter for this position". I never heard back from anyone at K12.
I get the distinct impression this was a perfunctory interview on K12's part. I am disappointed in the company for wasting my time.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions. The interview questions asked were to gauge my level of experience with writing test cases, following processes, writing and executing SQL statements, and leading a team.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Systems and Technology Interview

Herndon, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at K12 in August 2011.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume on Tuesday and got a call on wednesday asking if I could meet on Thursday. I thought that was fantastic. A recruiter did not contact me. The hiring manager did so. When I went, the receptionist was very nice and offered me a drink and a fob to the restroom just in case. The interview started on time. The interview was very friendly and I was given a lengthy description of the job, role, problems and challenges. The only tough question was: What are the typical challenges you see in this role.

I was offered the job there itself but salary negotiations did not start until the very next day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I have not yet started negotiating.

Analyst Interview

Herndon, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at K12 in May 2011.

Interview Details – The HR recruiter sent several e-mails to determine my skill level. When I was contacted for an interview, I could not be seen by the hiring manager for two weeks. Upon my arrival, the company seemed very disorganized and didn't even realize I was scheduled to come in, even though I had confirmed with the HR Dept. the previous day.

I spent two hours at the company undergoing detailed testing and two separate interviews. Three days later I was informed by the HR dept. that the "team had decided not to move forward." What??? Not move forward with what -- me, the position?? When I asked for an explanation, the HR guy replied that he did not recieve specific feedback and was not sure. Isn't that his job to be informed of the hiring process? What is the point of having an HR dept,?

I question whether there ever was an actual position or whether they were on a fishing expedition to see what desperate job seeker they could snag during the recession.

Interview Question – Tell us about your previous experience.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Herndon, VA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at K12 in July 2010.

Interview Details – 3 and a half hours of face to face interview with 12 people. 2 people in one group and this way I was asked to join 6 different teams. The boss was arrogant and behaved as if the job seakers in this economy are beggers. It has been over a month and still they did not even call to let me know the result of the interview. Very unprofessional attitude.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for K12? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at K12 interview questions and advice in Washington, DC . All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by K12 employees and interview candidates.