KCI

Getting the Interview

22 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Payer Relations Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at KCI.

Interview Details – One phone interview; two office interviews - one with the director and one with a supervisor. Not very intensive and did not prove to fully describe the depth of the job.

Interview Question – None were difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation allowed.

Portfolio Manager Interview

San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at KCI in March 2014.

Interview Details – The group operating the project management office is new and does not seem to have a well defined interview process. The first interview was with the senior director. He was forthcoming on the needs of the company and was mostly concerned about whether I could fit the position.

The second interview was with separate multiple team members. Each was clear on the mission. However, the description from each was inconsistent, especially about the culture of the organization.

This organization is clearly in transition. However, there does not seem to be a clear vision.

Interview Question – How would you handle obtaining an estimate from a business stakeholder when you have a deadline approaching?   View Answer

Help Desk Analyst Interview

San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at KCI.

Interview Details – the Interview Process is very detailed as to the type of work you have previously done.
for me it was no problem as I had worked as a Temp for them the previous year (2001) so they new my ability to learn new software on the fly.

Interview Question – None that I can think of   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Difficult Interview

Territory Manager Interview

Territory Manager
Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at KCI in December 2013.

Interview Details – I am very disappointed with their interview process. The negative reviews on Glassdoor are spot on. The person conducting the interview (outsource to DDI) was extremely impersonal, rude, & condescending. Really, 45 minutes of situational questions (after a screen interview) for a seasoned med device/equipment rep w/ mgmt experience?!?! Don't you usually do that for entry-level candidates? What's with the block of time I need to set aside (interview was at 2:00, but said to be available from 1:30-2:30)? Is this comcast? Just about every review I read said it was a long drawn out process that takes weeks/months (sometimes close to a year). Then after all that, they're going to fly you out for a final interview (we'll even pay for it!)? I thought KCI was all about reducing their carbon footprint? Ever heard of Skype or having the hiring mgr set foot in the territory (should be a good indicator of the support you'll get)? Why not take a little bit of time to learn about prospective candidate’s skills, background, & experience to see what they bring to the table & if it is a potential fit? Interviews should be give & take & anyone can answer a question using the STAR technique! I personally cut the interview short after she confirmed the entire 45 mins was going to be situational questions (no answer was good enough, she'd just rephrase her underlying objections again and again). I have no interest in working for an organization like this! Honest to God, one of the questions was, "tell me about the most logical, constructive conversation you ever had to persuade a potential customer". Like anyone remembers something like that or thinks in those terms. Anyone with half a brain tries to make every conversation with a prospect be logical, constructive, & persuasive! Keep pushing people's buttons/making them jump through hoops-it's clearly working for your company (let's rapidly expand our sales force after massive layoffs)-WAFJ! Solid itinerary too, they don't even tell you who you're going to be interviewing with or provide a job description (you'll have to dig that up yourself).

Interview Question – 45 mins of situational questions in which no answer was good enough. She would just rephrase with objection after objection. Honest to God, one of the questions was, "tell me about the most logical, constructive conversation you ever had to persuade a potential customer".   View Answer

Territory Sales Representative Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at KCI.

Interview Details – Application process was very slow as was the hiring process. I waited 6 months after submitting application before they interviewed for the position. Then it took about 6 weeks before all of the background checks and drug tests were cleared to hire.

Interview Question – The personality test was the most difficult in the process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate the wage somewhat. It was really nice because the benefits began day one so you don't have to wait the usual 30-90 days before you are insured.

Very Difficult Interview

Territory Representative/Central IL, Eastern IA Interview

Davenport, IA

I applied online and the process took 10 months - interviewed at KCI in September 2013.

Interview Details – This particular District Manager and I had prior email & phone communication for some 10 months prior to finally being invited to interview. I drove 190 miles roundtrip to meet her in good faith. From virtually the moment I sat down to the moment a departed-- a mere 44 minutes later--I encountered the following:

1. She was not at all prepared for the interview, nor did she take the time to adequately review my credentials.

2. I was extremely prepared, had throroughly researched the company and the position and submitted a 90-day plan which she didn't even review while I was there.

3. This manager was distant, impersonal and not all that receptive to anything pertinent I had to say.

4. Upon detailing my experience with the nation's largest institutional pharmacy company to the LTC industry, the core market for V.A.C. sales, she claimed she had never heard of them. I found this nothing short of incredible.

5. While well-qualfied for the position, I found her personal treatment of me during the interview to be the aboslute worst I've ever experienced.

Within 24 hrs of interview, I emailed a thank you note, expessed my desire to move forward.

Upon 2 weeks after interview, I emailed her a follow-up, reaffirmed interest and asked where things presently stood. No reply.

Upon 4 weeks after interview, I emailed her a follow-up, reaffirmed interest and asked if I was still being seriously considered. No reply.

I will be directing further communication to both the President/CEO as well as the Senior VP of Human Resources of this organization.

Interview Question – She asked very few questions.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at KCI in April 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted via external recruiter. Had interview with hiring manager and then, the following week another 30 min interview with the manager of the hiring manager. Three weeks later, I was brought in for 7 interviews, each of about 45 min. Mostly talking about previous experience and how that experience would be relevant to what they were loking

Interview Question – Too many people to interview with   View Answer

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Senior Financial Analyst
San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at KCI in November 2012.

Interview Details – Initially contacted via social media by a recruiter asking if I was interested in interviewing with the company. Had phone conversation with HR representative regarding high level experience, background, and education. Follow-up phone call was with an analyst on the Finance Team who asked more specific questions regarding my experience and answered questions about the role. During the phone call was told that I would be sent an Excel exam that must be completed within one hour after the conclusion of the phone interview. Second phone interview was with VP of Finance who again asked questions regarding experience and specific questions on how I would approach various problems (essentially verbal case studies). Was called in for in person interviews about one week later. In person interviews were done over the course of 5 hours and involved five separate hour long interviews with various people on the finance team in both leadership and analyst roles. Most questions revolved around experience, education, career goals, how I would approach various aspects/issues involved in the job position, and overall personality fit. Was contacted one week later with offer.

Interview Question – Business case question where I was asked to be as specific as possible and describe how I would create and manage a financial model in Excel that would be used to track the growth and progress of a new product.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Contacted by HR representative with offer on the stipulation that I take a drug test within 48 hours and pass a background check. Because initial offer was in-line with expectations there was no negotiation.

Surgical Sales Manager Interview

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at KCI in June 2010.

Interview Details – phone, inperson with DM or RM and then RVP--must have previous sales exp. Be prepared for a long drawn out process. It takes them forever, especially since they have only a few HR people left to follow up on the hiring process. Many managers ill equipped to interview and will just use their own technique and questions. Company is under tremendous change since buy out in 2012. Massive layoffs has resulted in a pretty unknowledgeable group of reps unprepared for the job they are expected to perform.

Interview Question – many no brainers--most mngrs are unprepared and not trained to conduct a simple interview. You can get them distracted easily. Just be a "yes" person. Flirting with male managers seems to work too.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Solid base for each position...will not even consider another amount.

Senior Systems Analyst Interview

San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at KCI in July 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online looking through the portal . Had to really follow-up with HR twice to get a response back as I did not hear back for month or more. After two follow-ups the HR interview/call was set-up asking basic question on my current salary and expectation etc. Then there was technical call set-up. The interview was done by two and lasted for more than 45 minutes. It was a good experience as it was more to do with what the current work that I was doing and was relevant to the company. Received a call back within 2 weeks to receive an offer

Interview Question – There wasn't a difficult question in the interview other than asking me deeply into my current work   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for KCI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at KCI interview questions and advice. All 22 interview reviews posted anonymously by KCI employees and interview candidates.