KIPP Foundation Interview Questions

Updated Jul 10, 2015

3.5

Lead Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

After filling out a lengthy online application that included multiple essay questions, I was emailed to do a video interview. You have to download an app on your phone to do the interview. You can also do it on a computer, but my laptop is very old, and I was afraid it wouldn't work well. It was difficult to set up the phone in a good position, and it films you trying to advance the program after each question, which looked awkward. The app lets you do a practice question and see your filmed response, but you aren't able to watch your actual interview responses before submission. Being filmed made me really nervous, so it was difficult for me. They recommend you maintain eye-contact with the camera, and when I watched my practice answer, I could see there were moments where I wasn't looking at the camera. While trying to answer the questions, I was worrying about looking at the camera, trying not to use filler words, and trying to smile in addition to thinking of good answers and worrying whether or not I was saying enough in response to each question. I normally feel confident in my interpersonal skills, but after watching my practice recorded response, I was a bit discouraged by how I appeared on camera. I found the video interview to be more stressful than an in-person interview, although it was nice to be able to interview from my home.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my strengths as a teacher, where I see myself in 5 years, my experiences working with students in underserved communities and why I want to work at KIPP. They also gave me an opportunity to mention anything else I may want to add.   Answer Question

Lead Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation (Atlanta, GA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process required a telephone screening with a talent recruiter, completion of written responses and a video interview submitted. After being reviewed by the school leaders an invitation sent for a teaching demonstration and panel interview scheduled (May 21, 2015)

Interview Questions

• Why did I want to work for KIPP?   1 Answer

Accounting Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation.

Interview

I applied online and got the call from the Accounting Manager in about 2 weeks for an interview. The interview was basically resume- related, he looked at my resume and asked questions about my previous internship experience. The difficulty is average.

Interview Questions

• What previous internship experience do you like the best?   Answer Question

Data Quality and Collection Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

About 2 weeks after submitting my application, I got an email from a company called HireVue requesting an online interview at my convenience within three business days. The interview itself consisted of four questions. For each question, there was a prompt, 30 seconds to formulate an answer, and two minutes to record an answer. I didn't mind the format so much, but it was kind of hard having no idea how I did because there's no interviewer to read. About three weeks later I got an email saying they weren't moving me forward in the process.

Interview Questions

• All questions were pretty generic, nothing technical: Why do you want to work at KIPP? Tell us about a time when you had to make decisions based on data, etc.   Answer Question

Training Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation in September 2014.

Interview

KIPP takes their time during the interview process. It took about a month to hear from them after I submitted my resume. Although I was excited to get the interview, I was extremely disappointed to learn it would be a digital interview without an actual person on the other end. The interview took place through a company called HireVue. I did my due diligence to prepare for the interview - read up on all the tips and tricks of doing a digital interview and also did a good amount of research on KIPP and the role itself. Although the HireVue company promoted the ease of use and convenience of participating in a digital interview, the experience was the opposite. In addition for prepping for the digital experience itself, a significant amount of time needs to be spent in preparing the actual space for the video taped interview (background, mic, lighting, etc.). Aside from this, digital interviews are just unnerving to do. The interviewee is not able to get any sense of whether their answers are being well received, they are not able to ask any clarifying questions to ensure they are providing the information that is most desirable and most importantly they are not able to ask any questions about the organization, the goals for the position or other important questions that help to establish an interviewee's strength and frame of reference. As a nonprofit that focuses on character building, I was pretty surprised that KIPP would decide to utilize such a non-human method for interviewing candidates. I sincerely hope that KIPP discontinues this process for future interviews and instead focuses on getting to know the personality and background of their candidates.

Interview Questions

• The HireVue process allows the candidate a maximum of 3 minutes to answer a question. The questions KIPP entered into the system were often multi-part questions that were difficult to answer in such a short amount of time. I'd recommend rehearsing mini soundbytes about your experiences prior to the interview (if they continue with this digital interview method).   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation in August 2014.

Interview

I was originally contacted by a recruiter who found my profile online and thought I would be a good fit for this role. I was invited for an in person interview with the Director of IT from Kipp onsite at the recruiting office. The interview was kept to 30 minutes only. I was asked questions pertaining to people management and my background and experience. Very standard. The following day (Thursday afternoon), the recruiter said that I advanced to the next round and that they wanted me to interview with the team and sent me "homework" exercises to do by Monday. It was time consuming and had to finish it by the weekend. I sent my answers Monday morning and was contacted Tuesday that they were not moving forward. I felt a bit jaded since I did not receive any feedback on the homework even though my answers were very detailed. For a non profit org, they seem very corporate and management heavy.

Interview Questions

• Our Research and Evaluation team has requested that we develop a web-based system of your choosing that captures information about student performance on standardized tests. The system should be able to capture information about the test, subject, school, teacher, student and score, so that the following data can be viewed:  A teacher can review data for their class: o Average test score by subject, by date, by grade o Comparison of average test scores for students between tests (e.g. how the class performed in Fall vs. Spring for a particular subject) o Comparison of an individual student scores between tests (e.g. how a specific student’s scores changes between Fall and Spring)  A school can review data for their school: o A roll up of above metrics by date and subject at teacher, grade or enter school level  KIPP Foundation staff can review data for the entire network of schools: o A roll up of above metrics by date and subject at school level Part 1: Propose a design for this system. Please include the following:  Database design: identify the tables and relationship for the relational database, describe the data to be stored in each table  Application architecture: describe the layers and components of each layer (e.g. identify the most important classes), identify the technologies to be used Part 2: Create a high level project plan identifying the major milestones, dependencies, and resources   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Applied online. A few weeks later, I get a phone call from the supervisor for the position asking if I had time to speak. I thought we were going to set up an interview for later on instead of actually having an interview that moment, which is what happened -- basically, a cold call interview. I thought this was very unprofessional. The questions were mostly about my experience and why I am interested in KIPP. A few days later, I get a voicemail saying they are not moving forward with my application

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty standard for the position -- when have you worked with student assessment data? What is your experience working with teachers/schools?   Answer Question

Operations & Data Analyst Interview

Interview

I applied online through their website and never got any sort of response.....until 4 months later, when I got several emails asking me to fill out their candidate experience survey. I did it so I could tell them how unprofessional their recruiting process was. Oh, and it's been about half a year since I applied now, and they're still looking for someone to fill that position......

Director of Literacy Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation in May 2013.

Interview

Contacted by phone by the hiring manager. The initial conversation which was billed as a chat about the position felt much more like an interview and like she was trying to get answers to solve their issues. I was then asked to submit an application. Weeks went by and then I had two additional phone interviews which were also weeks apart. Finally I was notified that I was considered a finalist (of five) and I was given an assignment to complete. The assignment was very comprehensive and took quite a bit of my time to complete. The final step was a round of interviews with five different people in NYC. One thing that struck me as unusual was that in sending the schedule for the day of the interview, they listed all of the candidates by our full names (tacky). That is how I discovered that two of the finalists were already KIPP employees. The interview questions were interesting and all of the interviewers seemed nice. One interviewer seemed exceptionally distracted throughout our conversation. It was a very long process (about two months). And in the end they gave the position to an internal candidate. It started to feel like a waste of time once I realized that they hadn't been able to narrow the field to two or three similarly qualified candidates instead of five. I also feel like my intellectual property (the very detailed project) is going to show up in their organization without recognition. The process was so long and arduous, I'm not sure I would ever go through that process again.

Interview Questions

• Analyzing assessment data on the fly and offering solutions.   Answer Question

Junior Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation (Washington, DC) in February 2013.

Interview

I first applied to the position on Feb. 14 2013 and received an email from the Senior Creative Manager on Feb. 21 2013 asking if I could come in the following day. The interview went great we went into great detail about KIPP as an organization and brand positioning.

Interview Questions

• What aspect of the position do you feel would be the most difficult for you as a designer?   1 Answer