KIPP Foundation

Updated Nov 29, 2014
Updated Nov 29, 2014

3.4

Accounting Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at KIPP Foundation.

I applied online and got the call from the Accounting Manager in about 2 weeks for an interview. The interview was basically resume- related, he looked at my resume and asked questions about my previous internship experience. The difficulty is average.

Interview Questions
    • What previous internship experience do you like the best?   Answer Question

Data Quality and Collection Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at KIPP Foundation in October 2014.

About 2 weeks after submitting my application, I got an email from a company called HireVue requesting an online interview at my convenience within three business days. The interview itself consisted of four questions. For each question, there was a prompt, 30 seconds to formulate an answer, and two minutes to record an answer. I didn't mind the format so much, but it was kind of hard having no idea how I did because there's no interviewer to read. About three weeks later I got an email saying they weren't moving me forward in the process.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were pretty generic, nothing technical: Why do you want to work at KIPP? Tell us about a time when you had to make decisions based on data, etc.   Answer Question

Training Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at KIPP Foundation in September 2014.

KIPP takes their time during the interview process. It took about a month to hear from them after I submitted my resume. Although I was excited to get the interview, I was extremely disappointed to learn it would be a digital interview without an actual person on the other end.

The interview took place through a company called HireVue. I did my due diligence to prepare for the interview - read up on all the tips and tricks of doing a digital interview and also did a good amount of research on KIPP and the role itself. Although the HireVue company promoted the ease of use and convenience of participating in a digital interview, the experience was the opposite. In addition for prepping for the digital experience itself, a significant amount of time needs to be spent in preparing the actual space for the video taped interview (background, mic, lighting, etc.).

Aside from this, digital interviews are just unnerving to do. The interviewee is not able to get any sense of whether their answers are being well received, they are not able to ask any clarifying questions to ensure they are providing the information that is most desirable and most importantly they are not able to ask any questions about the organization, the goals for the position or other important questions that help to establish an interviewee's strength and frame of reference.

As a nonprofit that focuses on character building, I was pretty surprised that KIPP would decide to utilize such a non-human method for interviewing candidates. I sincerely hope that KIPP discontinues this process for future interviews and instead focuses on getting to know the personality and background of their candidates.

Interview Questions
    • The HireVue process allows the candidate a maximum of 3 minutes to answer a question. The questions KIPP entered into the system were often multi-part questions that were difficult to answer in such a short amount of time. I'd recommend rehearsing mini soundbytes about your experiences prior to the interview (if they continue with this digital interview method).   Answer Question

Manager, Applications Development Team Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at KIPP Foundation in August 2014.

I was originally contacted by a recruiter who found my profile online and thought I would be a good fit for this role. I was invited for an in person interview with the Director of IT from Kipp onsite at the recruiting office. The interview was kept to 30 minutes only. I was asked questions pertaining to people management and my background and experience. Very standard.
    The following day (Thursday afternoon), the recruiter said that I advanced to the next round and that they wanted me to interview with the team and sent me "homework" exercises to do by Monday. It was time consuming and had to finish it by the weekend. I sent my answers Monday morning and was contacted Tuesday that they were not moving forward. I felt a bit jaded since I did not receive any feedback on the homework even though my answers were very detailed.
    For a non profit org, they seem very corporate and management heavy.

Interview Questions
    • Our Research and Evaluation team has requested that we develop a web-based system of your choosing that captures information about student performance on standardized tests. The system should be able to capture information about the test, subject, school, teacher, student and score, so that the following data can be viewed:
       A teacher can review data for their class:
      o Average test score by subject, by date, by grade
      o Comparison of average test scores for students between tests (e.g. how the class performed in Fall vs. Spring for a particular subject)
      o Comparison of an individual student scores between tests (e.g. how a specific student’s scores changes between Fall and Spring)
       A school can review data for their school:
      o A roll up of above metrics by date and subject at teacher, grade or enter school level
       KIPP Foundation staff can review data for the entire network of schools:
      o A roll up of above metrics by date and subject at school level

Part 1: Propose a design for this system. Please include the following:
       Database design: identify the tables and relationship for the relational database, describe the data to be stored in each table
       Application architecture: describe the layers and components of each layer (e.g. identify the most important classes), identify the technologies to be used

Part 2: Create a high level project plan identifying the major milestones, dependencies, and resources

Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at KIPP Foundation.

Applied online. A few weeks later, I get a phone call from the supervisor for the position asking if I had time to speak. I thought we were going to set up an interview for later on instead of actually having an interview that moment, which is what happened -- basically, a cold call interview. I thought this was very unprofessional. The questions were mostly about my experience and why I am interested in KIPP. A few days later, I get a voicemail saying they are not moving forward with my application

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty standard for the position -- when have you worked with student assessment data? What is your experience working with teachers/schools?   Answer Question

Operations & Data Analyst Interview

I applied online through their website and never got any sort of response.....until 4 months later, when I got several emails asking me to fill out their candidate experience survey. I did it so I could tell them how unprofessional their recruiting process was.

Oh, and it's been about half a year since I applied now, and they're still looking for someone to fill that position......

Director of Literacy Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at KIPP Foundation in May 2013.

Contacted by phone by the hiring manager. The initial conversation which was billed as a chat about the position felt much more like an interview and like she was trying to get answers to solve their issues. I was then asked to submit an application. Weeks went by and then I had two additional phone interviews which were also weeks apart. Finally I was notified that I was considered a finalist (of five) and I was given an assignment to complete. The assignment was very comprehensive and took quite a bit of my time to complete. The final step was a round of interviews with five different people in NYC. One thing that struck me as unusual was that in sending the schedule for the day of the interview, they listed all of the candidates by our full names (tacky). That is how I discovered that two of the finalists were already KIPP employees. The interview questions were interesting and all of the interviewers seemed nice. One interviewer seemed exceptionally distracted throughout our conversation. It was a very long process (about two months). And in the end they gave the position to an internal candidate. It started to feel like a waste of time once I realized that they hadn't been able to narrow the field to two or three similarly qualified candidates instead of five. I also feel like my intellectual property (the very detailed project) is going to show up in their organization without recognition. The process was so long and arduous, I'm not sure I would ever go through that process again.

Interview Questions
    • Analyzing assessment data on the fly and offering solutions.   Answer Question

Junior Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at KIPP Foundation in February 2013.

I first applied to the position on Feb. 14 2013 and received an email from the Senior Creative Manager on Feb. 21 2013 asking if I could come in the following day. The interview went great we went into great detail about KIPP as an organization and brand positioning.

Interview Questions
    • What aspect of the position do you feel would be the most difficult for you as a designer?   View Answer

Training Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at KIPP Foundation in November 2012.

First contacted by recruiter at On-ramps, an outside recruitment agency. Very professional and knowledgeable - she had worked with the team to write the job description, so was well-versed on the role. The best recruiter interview I've had so far. We talked for about an hour. At the end of the conversation, she scheduled a time for me to interview with the hiring manager (direct supervisor) the following week.

Again, about a one hour interview with the Director. Was sent a hiring exercise the following week and given 5 days to complete it. Then invited to an all-day, in-person interview (6 one-on-one interviews, 50 minutes each with a 10 minute break between and 20 minutes for lunch) in NYC which was re-designed due to Hurricane Sandy and turned into a round robin Skype event using the original schedule.

Director and Senior Director still wanted to meet the final two candidates in person, so was invited out again to give a 15 minute sample of my facilitation skills and answer some final questions. Unfortunately, this last interview was scheduled during a three-day training workshop I was running, but all were very understanding (though unable to reschedule) and offered me the opportunity to facilitate my example professional development session via WebEx. So very awkward to facilitate via cell phone and screen share, but I gave it my best and was not surprised when they went with the other candidate.

Process lasted about 7 or 8 weeks. I was told they were looking to move very quickly. On-ramps recruiting handled the whole process beautifully and deserves much of the credit for the positive experience I had in the hiring process.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at KIPP Foundation in October 2010.

1st interview was over the phone and their HR person was pretty professional. Said next round, if pursued, would be with hiring manager and within a week, that was scheduled.

2nd interview with hiring manager was long, almost 2 hours, but pretty standard questions at the onset. At one point, seemed like there was almost a minimum time for such interviews that was being pursued as the questions seemed less relevant as the interview wore on. Less precise timeline for next steps at the end, but acceptable.

3rd interview was with in-person interviews with 4 people, 45 minutes each: 1st with hiring manager, 2nd with colleague, 3rd with high ranking user, 4th with colleague. Then would meet with HR person to close. Each 45 minute session was schedule back-to-back with no breaks, but the 1st meeting started very late. To not encroach upon subsequent interview sessions, the 1st one ended up being only about 10 minutes. 2nd interview featured lunch which was nice, but the interviewer seemed more interested in lunch and how to get certified (since I had that certification) than actually interviewing me. That was a red flag warning. 3rd interview started by asking me if I had any questions to start and I responded by asking what would you like to see changed at KIPP. The answer was to eliminate the dept to which I was applying. Big red flag. She went on and on about how badly they were run, executed or rather, failed to execute plans, etc. 4th and final interview was enlightening when the person started off by saying, "I hope you're not one of those people who expects people to work late." Except for the hiring manager and the HR person, everyone seemed pretty unhappy. Collective red flag.

Overall, people were relatively nice and for the most part, seemed to committed to working for a worthy cause; however, the number of red flags (including others not referenced above) was disconcerting.