KIPP Foundation

8 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Data Analyst Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at KIPP Foundation.

Interview Details – Applied online. A few weeks later, I get a phone call from the supervisor for the position asking if I had time to speak. I thought we were going to set up an interview for later on instead of actually having an interview that moment, which is what happened -- basically, a cold call interview. I thought this was very unprofessional. The questions were mostly about my experience and why I am interested in KIPP. A few days later, I get a voicemail saying they are not moving forward with my application

Interview Question – The questions were pretty standard for the position -- when have you worked with student assessment data? What is your experience working with teachers/schools?   Answer Question

Operations & Data Analyst Interview

Interviewed at KIPP Foundation

Interview Details – I applied online through their website and never got any sort of response.....until 4 months later, when I got several emails asking me to fill out their candidate experience survey. I did it so I could tell them how unprofessional their recruiting process was.

Oh, and it's been about half a year since I applied now, and they're still looking for someone to fill that position......

Interview Question – NA   Answer Question

Director of Literacy Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at KIPP Foundation in May 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted by phone by the hiring manager. The initial conversation which was billed as a chat about the position felt much more like an interview and like she was trying to get answers to solve their issues. I was then asked to submit an application. Weeks went by and then I had two additional phone interviews which were also weeks apart. Finally I was notified that I was considered a finalist (of five) and I was given an assignment to complete. The assignment was very comprehensive and took quite a bit of my time to complete. The final step was a round of interviews with five different people in NYC. One thing that struck me as unusual was that in sending the schedule for the day of the interview, they listed all of the candidates by our full names (tacky). That is how I discovered that two of the finalists were already KIPP employees. The interview questions were interesting and all of the interviewers seemed nice. One interviewer seemed exceptionally distracted throughout our conversation. It was a very long process (about two months). And in the end they gave the position to an internal candidate. It started to feel like a waste of time once I realized that they hadn't been able to narrow the field to two or three similarly qualified candidates instead of five. I also feel like my intellectual property (the very detailed project) is going to show up in their organization without recognition. The process was so long and arduous, I'm not sure I would ever go through that process again.

Interview Question – Analyzing assessment data on the fly and offering solutions.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Junior Graphic Designer Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at KIPP Foundation in February 2013.

Interview Details – I first applied to the position on Feb. 14 2013 and received an email from the Senior Creative Manager on Feb. 21 2013 asking if I could come in the following day. The interview went great we went into great detail about KIPP as an organization and brand positioning.

Interview Question – What aspect of the position do you feel would be the most difficult for you as a designer?   View Answer

Training Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at KIPP Foundation in November 2012.

Interview Details – First contacted by recruiter at On-ramps, an outside recruitment agency. Very professional and knowledgeable - she had worked with the team to write the job description, so was well-versed on the role. The best recruiter interview I've had so far. We talked for about an hour. At the end of the conversation, she scheduled a time for me to interview with the hiring manager (direct supervisor) the following week.

Again, about a one hour interview with the Director. Was sent a hiring exercise the following week and given 5 days to complete it. Then invited to an all-day, in-person interview (6 one-on-one interviews, 50 minutes each with a 10 minute break between and 20 minutes for lunch) in NYC which was re-designed due to Hurricane Sandy and turned into a round robin Skype event using the original schedule.

Director and Senior Director still wanted to meet the final two candidates in person, so was invited out again to give a 15 minute sample of my facilitation skills and answer some final questions. Unfortunately, this last interview was scheduled during a three-day training workshop I was running, but all were very understanding (though unable to reschedule) and offered me the opportunity to facilitate my example professional development session via WebEx. So very awkward to facilitate via cell phone and screen share, but I gave it my best and was not surprised when they went with the other candidate.

Process lasted about 7 or 8 weeks. I was told they were looking to move very quickly. On-ramps recruiting handled the whole process beautifully and deserves much of the credit for the positive experience I had in the hiring process.

Interview Question – Mostly behavioral questions from what I can remember.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at KIPP Foundation in October 2010.

Interview Details – 1st interview was over the phone and their HR person was pretty professional. Said next round, if pursued, would be with hiring manager and within a week, that was scheduled.

2nd interview with hiring manager was long, almost 2 hours, but pretty standard questions at the onset. At one point, seemed like there was almost a minimum time for such interviews that was being pursued as the questions seemed less relevant as the interview wore on. Less precise timeline for next steps at the end, but acceptable.

3rd interview was with in-person interviews with 4 people, 45 minutes each: 1st with hiring manager, 2nd with colleague, 3rd with high ranking user, 4th with colleague. Then would meet with HR person to close. Each 45 minute session was schedule back-to-back with no breaks, but the 1st meeting started very late. To not encroach upon subsequent interview sessions, the 1st one ended up being only about 10 minutes. 2nd interview featured lunch which was nice, but the interviewer seemed more interested in lunch and how to get certified (since I had that certification) than actually interviewing me. That was a red flag warning. 3rd interview started by asking me if I had any questions to start and I responded by asking what would you like to see changed at KIPP. The answer was to eliminate the dept to which I was applying. Big red flag. She went on and on about how badly they were run, executed or rather, failed to execute plans, etc. 4th and final interview was enlightening when the person started off by saying, "I hope you're not one of those people who expects people to work late." Except for the hiring manager and the HR person, everyone seemed pretty unhappy. Collective red flag.

Overall, people were relatively nice and for the most part, seemed to committed to working for a worthy cause; however, the number of red flags (including others not referenced above) was disconcerting.

Interview Question – What do you consider your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

IT Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at KIPP Foundation in July 2008.

Interview Details – Very long - kept having to come back for more interviews.

Interview Questions

Program Assistant Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at KIPP Foundation in October 2011.

Interview Details – It took about 3-4 weeks after sending in my cover letter and resume to be contacted for a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 20-30 minutes. Unfortunately the interviewer was very disengaged and the interview was awkward (more than most phone interviews). It was definitely not a good match and I did not get the position. FYI: A lot of KIPP people are also TFA alums. Read up on TFA.

Interview Question – For most of the positions on my resume he asked what my supervisor for that position would say was my biggest accomplishment/greatest strength and what I could have improved on the most.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for KIPP Foundation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at KIPP Foundation interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by KIPP Foundation employees and interview candidates.