KLA-Tencor Applications Development Engineer Interview Questions

3.2

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Applications Development Engineer Interview

email to me to see if we can have phone interview, then got a call from them. have little bit discussion

Other Interview Reviews for KLA-Tencor

Applications Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at KLA-Tencor.

Met the HR personnel in Information Session. The first email was about answering some questions. Got a phone interview about 2-3 weeks later. The interview was mostly about my resume and some regular questions, though having a hard time trying to understand the accent.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at KLA-Tencor in January 2012.

Was contacted by a recruiter after submitting my resume at a university job fair. A phone interview was set up with a senior member of the group. The interview consisted mainly on explaining why I wanted to work in industry and with KLA-Tencor, explaining my research, and some behavioral questions. The interviewer also described the position and what would be expected of me.

After a few days I was invited for an on-site interview. The interview ran half a day, 8-12. A short presentation of the company was given, and then we (there were about 8 of us) had 1-1 interviews with 8 people. Questions were once again mainly behavioral, with a couple of estimations and a skills test.

Interview Questions
    Didn't negotiate, as this was my first job and had heard that they are not very open to negotiation. The compensation was fair, so this was ok.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at KLA-Tencor in March 2010.

1st. was the phone interrview, basically a behaviorial interview all through the way. Make a genuine attempt to show genuiine interest and you will be fine. So how would yo deal with an irate customer, are you willing to move, describe a leadership experience, how do you feel about 3-6 mont h assinments abroad.. etc.

Next was the 1:1 there were 2 groups of 7 on the same day, 1st is tour general info abt the company.. etc. then a 30 min presentation abt a skills exam you are supposed to take (trying to identify defects in pictures as a way to simulate wafer detection..interesting)
    then 6 1:1 all different depending on mangaer, from very specific to Resume dependent i.e 3-6 months abroad? describe how you can estimate the number of hair specialists in the country? why kla, why not your engineering degree?
    comapny is very beautinful, job seems intuitive good place to start a career

Interview Questions
    • 3-6months abroad? hair numbers in the US? detecting defects in images? and wafers   View Answer
    • why kla, why not etc? describe your project in details-> 10 mins go.. use chalk board when needed.. all that stuff   View Answer

Applications Development Engineer Interview

Telephonic interview followed by two 1:1 interview!

Interview Questions
    • I have never had such a worst interview experience. For a technical person, which is actually more required for a job, what is it to do with three rounds of analytical and puzzle solving rounds? And the questions are related to horses, bulbs , collection at toll gates etc? Does answering these questions gonna make you strong in your work place?! Overall a complete time waste. The recruiter seems to have a poor knowledge in his own field. Very lethargic attitude. Best was to just walk off after three rounds!sigh!   Answer Question

Applications Development Engineer Interview

First round consisted of a written test that had general aptitude questions and a case study. second round was GD. People shortlisted in GD had to undergo few rounds of interview (both technical and HR). Finally, the candidates are asked to give a presentation (preferably UG or PG project) and explain about their role in it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at KLA-Tencor in October 2013.

Applied online, a phone interview with one of the team members was setup a couple weeks later. Went through my background and asked questions related to my master's thesis. Repeatedly asked whether or not I would be interested in settling in the US o India. No clue why they didn't pick me.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be interested in settling in US or India? x3   Answer Question

Applications Development Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at KLA-Tencor.

I had applied my CV in their Website and after 1 month I got a call from them. Then they fixed the 1st round interview date and time 2 days later. Then on the interview date they called me from CA, US and they interviewed me for 30 mins. After clearing 1st round then there will be 2nd round interview will be held.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me the most stressful situation on your previous work   Answer Question
    • You have got a paper tea cup. What are the different ways you can utilize it ?   Answer Question
    • You have to tell a lay man/child what is a computer is? How u will describe them the computer without using any technical word?   Answer Question
    • Tell me something about your work that u r doing in your MS?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at KLA-Tencor in August 2013.

Applied through job portals. Got a call from them after a week. Then a telephone interview was scheduled a couple of days later. I was informed the next day that I was selected for the next round which is on site. On site interview was scheduled ten days later. It was for a complete day.
    Usually they interview 6 to 7 members on that onsite interview. In onsite interview, first round is a written test which is on some image analyzing questions in which grey scale image is represented in form of histograms and then filter some defects based on the distribution. Second round is to defend the answers of first round in a 2:1 interview. The third round is a typical 1:1 HR round. Fourth round is on problem solving, in which I was asked puzzles and some mathematical questions based on numbers. The fifth round is a presentation round on the final year project typically for 15 min followed by 15 min questionnaire. Then I was informed that I was selected. The next day one final HR round which you will pass if you completed all the previous rounds

Interview Questions
    • For an electrical engineering back ground, telephonic questions are:
      1Q. Working principle of self excited DC machine.
      2Q. Difference between a BJT and a MOSFET and which is cheap to manufacture and why.
      3Q. (trivial) If a heavy mass and light mass are dropped from a same height, which reaches ground earlier?
      4Q. Why do you want to join the company?

Onsite Interview:
      First round: Image analyzing questions like which algorithm is better? (specific algorithms were given initially).
      Second round: Why do you think that is better? what are the advantages and disadvantages of them?
      Third round: How will you decide warranty cost of a product which is just now released. Also typical HR questions.
      Fourth round: (Search internet for detailed question)
      1Q. Four people want to cross bridge and take time 1, 2, 7, 10 min. Lantern is required and only two people can cross. What is the minimum time in which all 4 can cross?
      2Q. 100 toggable bulbs and 100 members. nth person toggles all bulbs which are multiples of n. Initially all are switched off and all 100 were given chance to toggle. Finally which bulbs remain on?
      3Q. 3 Baskets and you know that one with apple, other with orange and last one with both which are not labelled. You can pick one fruit, look at it and put it back. In how many trials you can label the baskets.
      Fifth Round: Given a presentation and had questions on that regarding team work and personal contributions, uniqueness and value of the project along with some technical questions.
      Next day:
      One round: Typical HR questions like what things you want to improve and what you lack?
      Why this company? How you worked in a team? Most stressful situation?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at KLA-Tencor in August 2013.

First applied through naukri site.
    Then got cal from HR, they scheduled my first telephonic interview...which lasted for 20 mins....I tried to be genuine but the senior person who interviewed expects only diplomatic answers...It is not applications engineer it sales engineer job.Try to impress these people by telling lot of lies which are not practical in life and dont mention your interest in patriotism of your motherland.

Interview Questions
    • Y u want to join my company?
      How u vl manage things while travelling?
        Answer Question