KLA-Tencor Interview Questions

Updated Apr 19, 2015

3.1

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at KLA-Tencor (Milpitas, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Interviews are held throughout the day.
    I had 9 interviewers over the course of the day.
    Its all resume based. All technical, no HR person in the line up no HR questions. All was based on the work i did and then some questions were extrapolated from it.

Interview Questions

• design an algorithm or come up with a logic if you have 512x512 scan and you need to find a defect in it. You can compare it with another reference, if you want   Answer Question

Negotiation

KLA always underpays when they offer you. Most they will go up is ~5K.

Field Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at KLA-Tencor (Rochester, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

1. Core strength and weakness
    2. Provide an example of technical challenge
    3. How do you know the company
    4. many things to do or single thing to do at the same time
    5. what is you favorite carrer/job without morning alarm
    6. what the company doing
    7. How to deal with a tough customer

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at KLA-Tencor.

Interview

On campus interview (almost entirely behavioral questions). Second round was a phone interview with two controllers (also behavioral)

Negotiation

The housing allowance is nice, but it can be a little tight considering the housing market in Silicon Valley.. Remember that whatever the housing allowance is that they offer you it is before tax (and will be taxed at their corporate tax rate before you get any of it).

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at KLA-Tencor.

Interview

Initial phone screen

Interview Questions

• Required an engineering degree even though it was not specified in the job description   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malta, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at KLA-Tencor (Malta, NY) in June 2013.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via linkedin who directed me to apply online for a relevant position. Within a week I was invited for an onsite interview at Malta, NY. There was no reimbursement as I was just two hours away. The interview questions were not at all technical. The atmosphere amongst the team members looked quite good but the interview questions were totally HR related.

Interview Questions

• Fill the room with basketballs?   1 Answer
    • What do strategy and tactical mean to you?   Answer Question
    • How many states are in the US and if I tell you to get rid of one state, what will be your criteria?   1 Answer

Applications Engineer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at KLA-Tencor (Milpitas, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

Got a call. Received an interview. No response.

Interview Questions

• They have a sheet that goes over some imaging defects questions. It was relatively easy. The interview was from 8am-12pm. Talked to 3 people 1 to 1 after a short presentation about the company and what they do.   Answer Question

Product Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at KLA-Tencor (Milpitas, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

phone interview followed by onsite

Interview Questions

• how to troubleshooting, some optics concept   1 Answer

Negotiation

fair market price

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at KLA-Tencor (Austin, TX) in May 2013.

Interview

Interview:
    Recruiter setup the initial phone screening with the recruiting manager.
    The phone screening lasted for about 35 minutes. Started with my field of experience and depth into the design and architecture. After the phone screening, I have been asked to come for the personal interview. It lasted for 2 and half hours with the 3 different group of people. Because of one the team member was absent that day, I had to come again for 45 minutes.

People/Culture:
    The culture is unusual for me. They do follow AGILE process but it is not really AGILE, they pretty much end up following waterfall methodology because of the product development.
    The change management system is not great. They use lot of braching, developer has to merge the code. The timings are flexible if you are delivering your tasks in time.

Interview Questions

• One of them asked me about university. One of the panel member did not speak a word.
      They did not ask more technical questions to me, just overall experience.
      I ended up asking more about the company and the interviewer.

Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate. It depends on the individual and the demand.

Technical Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at KLA-Tencor (Milpitas, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

Met HR at Info Session in my university and submitted resume. A few days later, they contacted me to set up the phone interview. The phone interview was conducted by the subdivision manager, and it's mainly about review of resume, with focus on one or two specific projects.

A few weeks later, received invitation for on-site interview. The onsite one was conducted at their HQ in Milpitas, which consisted of 5-6 one-to-one interview and a one-hour presentation explaining one of my past projects. The questions are about signal processing knowledge (especially in image processing), and they are not very tricky if you are familiar with DSP. Some interviewers will also test your programming skills in MATLAB.

After the interview, received offer in about three days.

Interview Questions

• Not many unexpected questions. One was about edge detection using Moore neighborhood tracing. The MATLAB problem was about pattern matching using correlation and clustering.   Answer Question

Optical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at KLA-Tencor (Milpitas, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

Met the recruiter at the school. A phone interview with the hiring manager, went over some basic question. Then on site interview. Had a presentation for 30 mins. Meeting with 5 people. The process is very fast.