KLA-Tencor

Getting the Interview

141 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at KLA-Tencor in November 2011.

Interview Details – I posted my resume on linkedin, and a recruiter contacted me through email to schedule a phone call interview. The interview was one week later after I was contacted by the recruiter and it was given by a technique manager of wafer inspection. He started with some general questions about my background (major, minor, classes, etc), then walked through in details about my resume. After that, he asked me some technical questions, and I was stuck on one of them. So basically, it did not go well

Interview Question – some high power LED, and detector related technical questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Milpitas, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at KLA-Tencor in April 2012.

Interview Details – Applied for the position via the University Career Fair. Received a call from the recruiter in a few weeks' time. A phone-in first round of interview was set up with the hiring manager.It was pretty easy and I was selected for the on-site interview at the Headquarters located in Milpitas, California. Had 5 rounds of technical interview with different managers. Was questioned on brain teasers,object oriented design, operating systems, design patterns, SDLC , Java, C#,, C++ etc. It was quite interesting.
The hiring manager got back to me with the offer in about 2 weeks' time. Accepted the offer and went ahead with the 2.5 months' internship. It was a great experience. Overall, a great company to work for, great team, excellent team dynamics and challenging projects.

Interview Question – Your product fails in the client site after deployment. Think of possible reasons (other than environment-related and other common problems)   Answer Question

Product Development Engineer Interview

Milpitas, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at KLA-Tencor in June 2011.

Interview Details – I got two phone interviews (1 week apart) before the on site one. On site interview start with a 1 hour presentation, during which they asked a lot of questions, although it's not directly related to their work. And then I got 1:1 interview with 6 or 7 people (sorry I forgot) including HR. Questions are still very smooth, all about details of my work before. No hard questions. Very little behavior question, only remembered one - your experience of troubleshooting.

Interview Question – give an example of troubleshooting experience   Answer Question

Associate Test Engineer Interview

Milpitas, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at KLA-Tencor in April 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online through KLA website after receiving information about the position from the Career fair. Received an initial email with questionnaire that had basic questions regarding clean room experience, personal background, and some questions pertaining to future prospects. After submitting questionnaire back to recruiter, was then contacted for a phone interview that consisted of where I would like to see myself in 5 years, my clean room experience, talked about my senior design project and then basic questions regarding the position. Was then asked to come in for 1:1 interview which consisted of the three leads from each shift. Each interview was the same genre of questions and troubleshooting. Each different interviewer had a problem to fix and it was my responsibility to find a way to fix that problem through troubleshooting. After interview was over, was then lead into the cleanroom tour.

Interview Questions

• First interviewer had a worksheet on circuit diagrams and asked me to decipher it. Worksheet consisted of Boolean tables, capacitors, inductors, and basic circuit questions   Answer Question
  • Second interviewer had a diagram of a common issue found in the lab. Issue consisted of laser being shot into 5 different mirrors and a tool that measures the laser's intensity. Problem was that one measurement was off but it did not affect the image at the end and I needed to find out the issue   View Answer
  • Last interviewer had an event in which he had three light switches that each controlled three different light bulbs and my job was to find which switch went to which light bulb. The environment was that I was in a room in which I could not see the light bulbs unless I left the room but if I left the room I could not go back into it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – As far as negotiation went, there was none. The benefits are great and the compensation is good.

Algorithm Engineer Interview

Algorithm Engineer
Milpitas, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at KLA-Tencor in March 2012.

Interview Details – I was very impressed with the hiring process. There were four phone interviews - each of the interviewers called on time, spent time discussing my research, and asked me a few domain specific questions. They were very clear on expectations and were forthright on the pros and cons.
I was flown out to their HQ and had seven one-one interviews. Each of the people I met had a good personality, and seemed to be easy to get along with. My hiring manager seemed to be exceptionally personable and encouraged me to voice any concerns I had. Overall it was a very rewarding interview process as it seemed to be two-sided. I hope things seem as rosy a year from now.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a program to calculate and store records for a paid parking lot   View Answer
  • The answer to this question had to do with correlation using Mutual Information   Answer Question

Milpitas, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at KLA-Tencor in February 2012.

Interview Details – The interviewer went through my resume. Ask questions about the research I am doing and all the instruments I am using. Very nice guy. Then he explained the working principle of their products and the duties of application engineering. After the interview, it was a long process of waiting. I haven't heard anything from them yet (1.5 month after the interview).

Interview Question – All questions are relative to the research I did.   Answer Question

Rochester, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at KLA-Tencor in February 2012.

Interview Details – I got this interview after attending a career fair at my University. I handed off my resume and received an email from University Relations the next day offering me a half hour interview slot.
The interview was a very warm one. My interviewer was very friendly and seemed to enjoy the fast-pace, competitive work environment associated with the semiconductor industry. He was very intelligent and articulated that the company expected large growth in the next five years. He said that he was interviewing over 35 people for two paid positions and one unpaid position. They expect a lot from each member of their team.

Applications Development Engineer Interview

Applications Development Engineer
Milpitas, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at KLA-Tencor in January 2012.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter after submitting my resume at a university job fair. A phone interview was set up with a senior member of the group. The interview consisted mainly on explaining why I wanted to work in industry and with KLA-Tencor, explaining my research, and some behavioral questions. The interviewer also described the position and what would be expected of me.

After a few days I was invited for an on-site interview. The interview ran half a day, 8-12. A short presentation of the company was given, and then we (there were about 8 of us) had 1-1 interviews with 8 people. Questions were once again mainly behavioral, with a couple of estimations and a skills test.

Interview Question – The usual behavioral questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate, as this was my first job and had heard that they are not very open to negotiation. The compensation was fair, so this was ok.

Application Engineer Interview

Application Engineer
Milpitas, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at KLA-Tencor in May 2010.

Interview Details – Dropped my resume in the University Career Fair. Several months later, the University Relation department contacted me asking about my interest with the Application Engineer Position. Asked me to respond the email with answers of some behavior questions. Such as why semiconductor area etc.
Then a phone interview is arranged with a senior engineer, went through my resume and then asked me a very easy brainteaser.
Then an onsite interview, the travel arrangement is very effective and convenient. The onsite interview consists of five 1:1 interview (we had 5 candidates too, so it was rotating room by room). Mostly behavior questions, questions about resume, some easy brainteaser. Since the position is about to help the clients with problems of KLA-tencor's machine, be prepared about questions about communication. One of the 1:1 interview is a skill test about image processing, it is not very difficult.

Product Engineer Interview

Product Engineer
Milpitas, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at KLA-Tencor in December 2011.

Interview Details – A phone interview and then they flew me in for a presentation and a series of eight 1-on-1. In this series of 1:1 lost of questions come over and over and make it boring. In addition every interviewer tends to ask questions about his own background and that may have nothing to do either with your background or with the job you are applying for. Since it is an interview you do your best the good thing is that these questions in general are not difficult. I thought I aced the interview they promised they will call the next week but never did. Two week after the usual thank you I sent a follow up but nobody replied (HR or hiring manager) and after more than two months they sent me a rejection notice when I had already forgotten about them.

Interviews for Top Jobs at KLA-Tencor