KLA-Tencor Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014

3.1

Product Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at KLA-Tencor in June 2011.

I got two phone interviews (1 week apart) before the on site one. On site interview start with a 1 hour presentation, during which they asked a lot of questions, although it's not directly related to their work. And then I got 1:1 interview with 6 or 7 people (sorry I forgot) including HR. Questions are still very smooth, all about details of my work before. No hard questions. Very little behavior question, only remembered one - your experience of troubleshooting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hopewell Junction, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopewell Junction, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at KLA-Tencor in May 2011.

I received a phone call to setup an appointment for a phone interview. Phone interview was quite normal. General behavioral questions. Then, a question to test if you can think quickly and clearly. The question was 'If you are asked to remove one state from the US, which one would you remove and why?'. I was selected for the on-site interview and was flown in a couple of weeks later. I had 5 1:1 interviews. There was one skills test. They'll teach you something about image processing and ask you questions based on that. Others were all just questions based on your resume.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to remove one state from the US, which one would it be and why?   View Answer

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at KLA-Tencor in December 2010.

They are fast! The entire week took 3 weeks. Week one, the recruiter saw my resume online and contact me, asked me whether I was interested in their position. I told him yes of course. Week two, one manager called me for a phone interview. He was a nice guy and the questions were relatively easy, I guess because I'm still in college, have no working experience. Week three, they brought me in for on-site interview. Met 4~5 guys there, one by one. The questions were focus on my background and some programming concepts. The only downside is they sent me rejection letter almost 2 months after that.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at KLA-Tencor in December 2010.

1 Telephonic interview if you clear this then onsite interview

7 interviews on the onsite interview day, Some Resume based, Some C++, Some Java.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at KLA-Tencor in December 2010.

my background was in EE. Interviewed for software engr. one of the interviewer said position for software engr and looked at my resume few times and left. supposed to meet with 6 people but had interview with only 4.

Software Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at KLA-Tencor in November 2010.

standard procedure: two over the phone, 1 day onsite interviews: with HR, future supervisor, and experts of the fields: C++ infra computing, high performance computing, algorithm computing, and finally with panel of supervisors and higher management people

Interview Questions
    • some personality questions. most of the questions are about the technology and your preparedness. Several questions about what you did, and present it on whiteboard in front of the panel. Don't remember all the details...   Answer Question
    Negotiation wasn't lengthy, over the phone. I was able to negotiate sign on bonus.
    Couldn't get the relocation bonus, since i'm local to the area.

Principal Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at KLA-Tencor in October 2010.

Gave a talk on my previous work. Had one-on-ones with the hiring managers and various stakeholders. This part was friendly and cordial. Then I was invited back for a second interview when the hiring manager asked me some very in-depth technical questions about my knowledge the relevant subject. It was like a grad school oral exam. However, I thought the questions were fair given the level of the position and the fact that the subject was not a big part of my previous work, and so it was not covered much in my talk. The whole process was rigorous but fair overall.

Interview Questions
    My friends in the company had told me that KLA-Tencor tend to make fair offers. I found mine to be the case, so I accepted it without and negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at KLA-Tencor in July 2010.

Onsite after one phone interview. There were five interviewers, 30 min with each one. And there is a skill test, which is an image processing problem. The interviews are mixed with IQ test and behavior questions, and they want learn about your personality and interpersonal skills since they are looking for applications engineer instead of researcher.

Interview Questions
    • What if you can not figure out the problem when you are sent to solve our customer's device?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hopewell Junction, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopewell Junction, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at KLA-Tencor in June 2010.

seven 1:1 talk to people who work there. They introduced their companies and their roles and let me ask them questions.

Application Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at KLA-Tencor in May 2010.

Dropped my resume in the University Career Fair. Several months later, the University Relation department contacted me asking about my interest with the Application Engineer Position. Asked me to respond the email with answers of some behavior questions. Such as why semiconductor area etc.
    Then a phone interview is arranged with a senior engineer, went through my resume and then asked me a very easy brainteaser.
    Then an onsite interview, the travel arrangement is very effective and convenient. The onsite interview consists of five 1:1 interview (we had 5 candidates too, so it was rotating room by room). Mostly behavior questions, questions about resume, some easy brainteaser. Since the position is about to help the clients with problems of KLA-tencor's machine, be prepared about questions about communication. One of the 1:1 interview is a skill test about image processing, it is not very difficult.