KLA-Tencor

Getting the Interview

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Milpitas, CA

I applied online - interviewed at KLA-Tencor in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through LinkedIn. Thirty minutes phone conversation with the hiring manager within two weeks. Invited on-site. Four interviewers -- two principal scientists, the manager (also principal scientist himself) and the director.

Interview problem are mainly the technical questions on my previous research and development projects. Clearly, all interviewers are very intelligent and sharp, almost made me feel that they were involved in these researches and projects. One interviewer showed me a problem in his work, and his solution to the problem. I am impressed.

Employment package is then offered within couple of days. The salary is below other offers I collected. But I decided to go with this team mainly because the work and the people.

Interview Question – How much of this is your work?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at KLA-Tencor in August 2013.

Interview Details – phone screen 30 min, and then on site interview with 10 people,
2nd round on-site interview with one extremely bad guy I have ever seen
in my career (TONG HUANG).
They do not have very fair judgement. They only discuss your capability based on their understanding. I doubt the future of this company.

Interview Question – (1) Tong Huang asked one radicular question, for 1-class data, how to do feature selection using labeled data. One simple way is to use lasso to enforce the sparsity, which minimizes the error function (e.g., least square error). Loss function can minimize the error. I explained time and again, but he did not follow.
(2) many brain-teasers questions. e.g., in a clock, whey you can see only one point?
(3) C/C++ basic questions: inheritance, polymorphism;
(4) behavior question: what is the challenge in your project?
  View Answer

Research Scientist

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at KLA-Tencor.

Interview Details – Phone interview: Went over my CV, gave me information on the group, company. Questions were related to position description.

Interview Question – Questions were all basic questions   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interviewed at KLA-Tencor

Interview Details – Contacted by HR, an unexpected position to me.
Got phone call from the manager. It lasted for half an hour, all general questions.
Unfortunately, my background does not fit this position.

Interview Question – No special question.   Answer Question

Research Scientist

The process took 2 months - interviewed at KLA-Tencor in February 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview from hiring manager, then onsite 5 1:1 interview. Finally 2 phone interviews.

Interview Question – What's the biggest challenge in your previous work?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at KLA-Tencor

Worked for KLA-Tencor? Contribute to the Community!

KLA-Tencor Videos

KLA-Tencor – Why Work for Us?

KLA-Tencor Corporation is the world's leading supplier of process control and yield management solutions for the semiconductor and related microelectronics industries. We have been in business for over 30 years and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at KLA-Tencor Research Scientist interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by KLA-Tencor employees and interview candidates.