KPMG Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

2.9

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at KPMG.

Interview

I am an experienced professional and I was referred by a employee for the position. The process involved a phone screen, an interview with two senior group leaders, and an interview with the partner. I was really surprised and disappointed by how unprofessional some of the process was. During my partner interview I was directly asked if I was married and if I had children. It seemed highly irrelevant and inappropriate, especially when we had already addressed my ability to travel for work and the rest of the interview included very technical questions about industry specific rules and procedures. Despite diligent follow up, I was not given any information about whether or not I was still being considered until months after my interview when it was announced on LinkedIn that they hired someone else.

Interview Questions

• How many [project type listed on my resume] projects have you done?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for KPMG

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at KPMG.

Interview

30 -min face to face interview with the Director of the Advisory Services. On Campus interview. A very informal setting, relaxed and comfortable. They just wanted to know more about me and why I chose to apply and how this position could help me to advance in my career. They told a lot about the position as well.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background and why I'm interested in this role   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (New York, NY).

Interview

A recruiter reached out. We talked within the week and shortly after filling out KPMG's online app, I received an automated email about how they are no longer considering me as a candidate. I wish this was the end of my experience but weeks later, the recruiter reached out to schedule a phone interview with someone from the team. I was told to ignore the rejection email. After coordinating a date and time in the interviewer's mornings-only schedule, I was sent a confirmation email for the phone interview. Aside from never receiving a call from the interviewer on that date, there was neither a notification of a cancellation/rescheduling nor any acknowledgement as to what happened. Reassessing my career goals, I decided to discontinue the process. In retrospect, it's rather eye opening. Having completed at least 100 interviews, this was indubitably the most disorganized and disappointing recruitment process I have been through. Word of advice to HR: get a little more involved.

Interview Questions

• What's the best date and time for your schedule?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at KPMG (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

I got an email from the recruiter saying they wanted to set up a phone screening. I sent her some times and, without confirming, she called me at 8AM the next day. She asked me basic questions like what I was interested and what salary I was looking for. It moved pretty fast from there, I had a second phone interview and then at 4PM on Tuesday they asked if I could come in at 1PM on Wednesday. I had two "job fit" type interviews, just "tell me about your resume" "why KPMG" type stuff. The conversations were very casual and enjoyable. Although one Manager told me that "KPMG is a BFD to have on your resume, and once you get your foot in the door you don't have to do well after that." Take that as you will. From there I was asked to come in on Friday for an hour meeting with (who would be) my hiring manager. She showed up late and was super frazzled and appeared really stressed out. She let me know that the job would be tough but we had a great conversation and she asked me when I could start. From there I've heard nothing. No response from any of the managers I spoke to. Four weeks after my last interview I received an email from the recruiter saying that she would get me a final decision by the end of the week...that was three weeks ago. I did follow up several times. Pretty disorganized process.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in your next company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

One phone interview and one in-person interview where I met with 3 interviewers back-to-back. The entire process still managed to span three months, where I eventually learned that I was the top candidate but that they decided to hire from within. They said if there were two positions, I would have the other....to reach out to the recruiter should I find another position of interest.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions, can't recall specific.   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at KPMG in February 2015.

Interview

I got an on-campus interview, where you interview with a manager. The night before, you meet a member (possibly more for other teams) of someone you'd be working with. They give you an oversight on the job/company, but also test out your personality. Pretty relaxed, informal environment. Then you do an office visit, do some speed networking with younger associates. You interview with someone higher up on the team, and someone outside the team. Those interviews were also pretty relaxed, a couple formal questions (describe a time when you were in charge of ___ and had to ___). Mostly behavioral at least for advisory. No technical questions. Overall the interviews were easy, they more just got to know you and find out what kind of person you are, what it would be like to work with you, more than what you know. Finally, you get to have dinner with your team and get to know them on a more personal level. I personally loved the interview process. More companies should do this!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you were the leader of a project with a tight deadline. Explain what you did to meet that deadline and what the outcome was.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Interview

1. On campus info session. Connected with current employers. 2. Invited to interview social at a local bar. They say it's optional, but it's a must to be considered. 3. 1st round on campus interview. Went through resume and one case question. 4. 2nd round in office interview. Entirely behavioral interviews and a presentation. 5. Invited to interview social at local bar. Campus requiter was very friendly and responsive.

Interview Questions

• Apparently they weren't supposed to ask case questions, but one of them was "How would you go about doing a mass deployment of Office 365?"   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Interview

I got this interview from a career fair. A senior manager interviewed me. The process was enjoyable. She shared her experience with me first and asked me to tell her about myself. It is important to remember the resume well because my interviewer asked me some questions on it. Moreover, she asked me some questions about teamwork and leadership. All the questions were behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the most difficult thing you ever faced.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG.

Interview

I joined KPMG as an experienced professional. My interview process was unusual and didn't follow usual interview procedures. I showed interest in joining the Big 4 and KPMG showed interest back. I went to lunch (wearing jeans) on a Friday with a partner, director and a manager, then a few days later I was hired.

Interview Questions

• My interview was mostly conversation with a discussion of why I wanted to join KPMG - which was the standard name, prestige, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. I came in at a higher salary than other experienced associates. But this hurt me in the long run as I didn't get a raise for another year and a half.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at KPMG.

Interview

I was granted an interview through the campus career center. I have attended multiple campus events hosted by KPMG and find their people to be the most compelling reason to seek employment at the firm. Everyone is exceedingly nice, welcoming and sincere in their desire to see candidates excel. The day of the interview went very smoothly as I was greeted by a relatively new associate who explained the process and answered any questions. My interviewer was a Manager who was very nice and easy to talk with about my credentials. The thirty minutes allotted for the interview were gone before we knew it.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you received constructive criticism.   Answer Question