KPMG US Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Feb 22, 2015
Updated Feb 22, 2015

2.9

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (Chicago, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

6 interviews in total:

--- Remote Interviews (Conducted via Phone) ---

First interview was a phone screen conducted by one of their internal recruiters. Focus was on why I wanted to join KPMG and salary expectations

Two phone interviews followed; one behavioral and the other technical. Focus was on assessing fit with firm culture and technical acumen as related to the position being applied for.

--- In-Office Interviews ---

Was flown to Chicago where I met with four members of the team I was intending to join:

First interviewer was a Manager who wanted to know what questions I had about KPMG and asked a few questions about the types of engagements I had encountered in the past.

Next interview was with a Senior Associate who asked several pointed questions around the skillsets required to be successful in the role (e.g. tell me about how you approach an application rationalization)

Third interview was a case conducted by a Manager. Company X is looking to acquire Company Y. What are the most important things for them to consider when integrating their IT systems? How would you structure a team to help Company X achieve successful integration?

Last interview of the day was with a Managing Director and included another case around the integration of a specialty gas company into a company with a global network of commodity gas manufacturers operating as their own P&Ls. Questions were mostly around how the business should be structured (stay operating as distinct P&Ls or integrate) and their location strategy. Final question was about how to structure the IT organization to support the proposed structure.

After returning home, I was told I needed to meet with a Partner at my local office. That interview was scheduled approximately a week later and focused on what I could bring to the firm if hired. Questions included: What do you want to be famous for / why does your phone ring? What network of contacts could you bring that we could use to sell new work tomorrow?

Before leaving the interview, I was asked to take on a homework assignment. The assignment was to write a 2-4 page white paper on how IT could prove its value to the business. I was given until the end of the day to complete the assignment and send it back to the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to be famous for / why does your phone ring? What network of contacts could you bring that we could use to sell new work tomorrow?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at KPMG US (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied through campus job board and their webpage. I heard back from them about a week after I applied that I have a campus interview. But they only told the ones who got accepted the evening of the interview. I found out I didn't get into the second round from a friend who got in.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

there was a couple phone interviews and an in person interview. It lasted about 4 hours and included a 20 minute presentation and 3 45-minutes. There was a couple technical tests and a conceptual coding challenge

Interview Questions

• How do you manage your time if you are given 12 weeks to complete a project?   Answer Question

Transfer Pricing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (Chicago, IL) in September 2014.

Interview

Applied through campus site, got the first interview. Was strictly behavioral, really more like a conversation. In a week or so got a call from the interviewer asking me to go for a super day. It was great--a meal at Trump Tower, and awesome hotel accommodations. Got a tour of the place, got to network, etc. 2 Interviews the next day. Both also behavioral, they didn't expect much knowledge of TP. Ended up with me asking more questions than them. Got the internship offer 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Just straight up here is your offer. No negotiating

EVS Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I talked to a recruiter who came to my campus at the time to advertise an Accounting role. I was a Finance major, and I networked with the recruiter to see if Finance positions were available. Luckily, there was something for me. I interviewed with the recruiter, then 2 other people on separate days. Very conversational interviews. Nothing too technical. Mainly behavioral questions that were easy to discuss - just to get a feel of my personality.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I accepted what they gave.

EVS Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

Went to various events on campus until I formed a relationship with the recruiter. Recruiter thought I would be a good fit for the position. She gave me the phone number of one of the team members. I called and asked some questions about the job. I had one interview on campus and then went to the office for 3 more interviews.

Interview Questions

• Pretty straight forward walk me through your resume questions.   Answer Question

Procurement Advisory Analyst Interview

Interview

1. phone interview with local HR; 2. first round with a manager in the service line; 3. on-site interview

Tax Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (Chicago, IL) in June 2011.

Interview

2 weeks of emails, phone interview and panel interview

Tax Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at KPMG US (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Applied through university career website. Had a first round interview with a tax partner. He was really nice and laid-back. There was a pre-night reception before the actual interview at a local restaurant. The interview process was very relaxing. Now, I am doing my research for my second round interview. One advice is be confident, be yourself and know what you are talking about!

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you have to make an ethical decision.   Answer Question

Audit Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I was contacted for an on-campus interview. The interview took only 30 minutes. The senior manager I interviewed with was quite personable, and the recruiter from our school was and has been quite helpful throughout. I was declined for a second interview, heard in a week.

Interview Questions

• What have you heard about the other big 4?

I found this question strange. He did say that he only asked because he doesn't know anything about the others.

Answer Question