KPMG US IT Advisory Associate Interview Questions

33 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate, IT Advisory Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Short Hills, NJ
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Short Hills, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US in January 2011.

I was contacted by recruiter for initial resume walk through and also to know about my willingness to travel, relocation, Visa status, H1B Sponsorship requirement and as well as minimum expected salary. Then there was a phone interview by the manager of the project team where I was supposed to be working. It was for 30min and asked me about resume and past experiences. I am a Masters student with 3 years of IT experience. The manager spoke about the project and the work culture at KPMG.

After phone interview there was a 1:1 interview with the same manager where I was asked about basic standard questions like "Tell me about yourself apart from what is present in the resume?". Later he gave a case study relating to SDLC.I think probably he was checking my confidence level to answer the question as well as how fast & correct I would be able to answer it. Did pretty well. He gave his business card. I sent him thank you mail. later was contacted by recruiter stating that I am through this round probably have to face 2 partner interviews.

After 15 days he again called back and said that there is no need of partner interviews and I have been selected and promised me to make an offer within a week. This was almost delayed by 3 weeks and finally got the offer letter. Accepted and sent back the next day. Recruiters are really friendly and follow up quickly for the questions asked. Don't hesitate to ask the format of Interview or any other questions with recruiter as they would be really helpful.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question
  • Given a scenario of adapting Agile methodology in a mobile company who have been following waterfall method from 20 years, how would you convince the client to follow Agile?   Answer Question
Negotiation was really difficult. But still would insist to do so. I could increase it by very small margin.

Other Interview Reviews for KPMG US

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at KPMG US in November 2010.

After the phone interview was called to NYC for 2 interview round. The process started from 9.30am to 9.30pm in the night. Two 1:1 interviews, presentations, asked to make a group presentation and finally something called speed recruiting based on speed dating concept. 5 interviews in 40 mins each for 8 mins. Questions were based on experience based and also what if types. A interviewer wanted to know answers to typical scenarios which required brainstorming of ideas.

Received an offer the next day. But it was way too low to be accepted. Its like 50% less than my other software position offer from another company. I wanted to take the job but I dont think I ll be able to even survive with the salary KPMG offers that too in NYC. If any KPMG recruiter reads this please do something to increase ur salary structure. Being a masters student with 2 yr experience I am being given same salary of that of an undergrad. Hmmfff....better I stick with my Software job than, paying from my parents pocket to live in NYC

Interview Questions
    • Ques were scenario based. If client is in some situation how u as a consultant would advise.   Answer Question

Offer too low

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at KPMG US in October 2010.

Very Laid back interview. Talked about my sister and football for the most of the time. Typical behavioral interview including resume walk-through and teamwork expirience and I got invited to a office visit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at KPMG US in October 2010.

Went for the on campus recruiting first round interview with KPMG for their IT Advisory practice. Was very informal and behavior based. Great experience and was sent email 3 days later saying I got the second round interview in New York.

Associate, IT Advisory Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at KPMG US in October 2010.

Only behavioral questions and the interviewer was nice to talk to.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult situation happened to you for the last one year and how did you solve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US in September 2010.

There was a pre-interview meet and greet with hors d'oeuvres that was really pleasant. It was nice to meet the person you'd be interviewing with in a more casual setting. My interview consisted of a conversation with someone who was enjoyable but knew little about the department I'd be working in and gave me little opportunity to showcase my true (and applicable) skills. I never received a reply from my thank-you and it took several weeks and an email in the middle of the night on a Saturday to inform me that I wasn't invited to further rounds. The process was certainly pleasant, but I don't feel I was given the adequate opportunity.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at KPMG US in April 2010.

I had an half hour interview with a senior consultant on campus. Then I was invited to an on site interview the same Friday. There were three interviews that day. Each around 30 to 40 minutes. Mainly behavioral questions, hardly technical questions. You have to know what you want from the company and why you want to be in the IT advisory. The office is in the center of downtown, very nice location. The people at the company are well dressed and mannered.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate my salary for couple thousands dollars. but overall I think KPMG needs to pay higher.

IT Advisory, Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at KPMG US in March 2010.

Since it was through my college, I got the invitation to interview for the first round on campus.

First Round:
    I met with a Sr. Associate before the interview with whom I had casual conversation about what I studied and all. Though it might not be termed as an interview, the person is evaluating your behavioral and communication skills. I was then escorted by him to the interview room where I met my interviewer who was a manager in the firm. It was the most unpleasant experience as it started with negative questions and comments, to which I was defending my position for the 1/2 hr. It might be one of the interview technique but never heard of it being practiced in Big 4. I learned from other interviewees that they had a similar experience. FYI: after I received the offer I made the HR aware of the experience and it was take very well and I hope they fixed the problem. After 2 weeks I heard back from HR that I was selected for the second round. Work of advice: Prepare well as you never know what might come your way. The interview was little technical and mainly behavioral.

Second Round:
    This constituted a day long process of presentation, group-activity, breakfast, lunch, and two personal interviews. There were close to 30-40 interviewees with me, which was quite intimidating. Keep your spirits high to sustain the pressure. First, a partner gave a presentation of the business and the positions available. This was followed by formation of small groups to which a person was assigned to explain one of the key benefit of working at KPMG for which we had to prepare a small skit. This can be challenging as its matter of 5-10mins that you are asked to collaborate with 5 other interviewees and come up with a skit. I decided to be engaged but could not take a lead. This was the eye-opener of the level of people you will be competing with. This was followed by lunch with staff level employees, so be prepared for some good questions to show them your interest and commitment towards the company. You might wonder if all this is required, but now I participate in campus recruitment and we do give feedback about the interviewees we talked to. So be prepared to present your A game. After this there were two rounds of interview with Manager/Sr. Manager/Partner level people. Again little technical and more behavioral. Resources that helped me was glassdoor questions, general behavioral questions list, thorough research about the position and the structure of the company...and last but not the least Youtube. Yes! I saw couple of interviews of C level KPMG executives talking about the practice, problems facing the industry and practice, and outlook of growth in the coming years. This gave me the tools to speak their language and be well read of their problems and opportunities. This was the biggest help and probably a game changer.

I received a call after approx 20 days informing about the offer which I happily accepted! Hope this helped.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself   View Answer
    • Tell me about a project (one listed in the resume) and the challenges you faced. How did you resolve this   View Answer
    I didnt negotiate as I thought I didnt have the leverage since this was my first one after school.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at KPMG US in March 2010.

My interview was basically basic behavioral: Tell me about your self, experiences with the companies I worked with. They were specifically interested in a few projects due to their requirement in that domain. Lasted about 50 minutes and was called for second round at two different locations.

I guess they were interviewing for some specific projects.

Interview Questions
    Well yet to interview in the second round

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at KPMG US in February 2010.

The hiring process was done very professionally. They were on top of everything and I was always kept in the loop. The hiring manager was always respectful and made things easier on me throughout the whole process. The interviewers were very positive and the questions were reasonable. They were behavioral questions that centered around team work, dealing with conflicts in teams, working with people, etc. There were also questions about what progress the interviewee is making toward their career goals right now.

Interview Questions
    • When you bring up past experiences in order to answer their behavioral questions, they will ask you more details about the situation and how you handled it and problems you may have encountered. They get a little specific so know how to highlight the key points and remember things you accomplished so you don't get trapped.   Answer Question
    I wasn't really given a chance to negotiate, but I was given the higher end on the salary scale (based on the salary band I have seen on this site)