KPMG US

Updated Dec 14, 2014

2.8

46 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at KPMG US in September 2014.

Initial was a telephonic screening followed by face to face interaction with 2 of the HR people, discussion was very good and interactive. Then the senior manager took the second round. Team was very hospitile and friendly. The infrastructure was very good. I really liked the cabin for the interview as it was more of casual approach similar to a coffee nest with pleasant lighting rather than the retro glass door kind of cabin.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at KPMG US in September 2014.

The process consisted of two rounds - a Group Discussion followed by a combined Technical-HR Interview.

Group Discussion : The groups were of the sizes of 8 - 10 members. Topics were mostly opinion based. Time allotted was 10 minutes which included 1 min for drawing a conclusion if possible.

The candidates were judged mainly on three parameters - the ability to raise good points and highlight important aspects, leadership skills and willingness to take initiatives.

One or two candidates from every group were selected for the Personal Interview.

Personal Interview:
    The panel consisted of one HR and two technical members. Questions were mainly based on the candidates CV. The important parameters for selection in this stage were - analytical skills, communication, reasoning skills, willingness to learn, candidates personality and strong motivation to pursue a career in consulting sector.

The interview started with a few HR questions leading further to technical and analytical questions. A few puzzles were also asked. There were questions on current affairs too.

Knowledge of the consulting sector and the company was also tested. (in other words, ability to retain information from the pre-placement PPT)

Overall, the interview was a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Why not do an MBA right after graduation?   View Answer
    • How will you estimate the total number of guitars in a city?   View Answer

Consultant- Risk Advisory Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at KPMG US in September 2014.

One of the most unstructured and time insensitive interviews ever.

I hailed from another big four and thought the KPMG brand name is always attractive. So when the job consultant told me about kpmg global services (kgs, as they addressed it), I had different ideas. Here is what happened in the 2 months ( yes, their 3 rounds lasted 2 months!):
    month 1: HR round. The HR lady calls me and tells me about the role and told me this is for a senior position. Now I have 6+ years of experience entirely in 2 Big 4 firms, so I assumed they meant middle management or equivalent. It is not until I clarified in the end was I told they have an abrupt term called senior meaning senior consultant. The HR largely asked very basic questions about why I am leaving my current job etc. I was not even told about the career path or more about ...KGS.

Month 1 almost ends..I have an interview with a lead who doesn't care to greet me or exchange basic courtesies- straight away jumps to the boring way of starting an interview saying- walk me thru ur cv. Then the questions were so predictable or dumb, I wasn't sure if this guy was being sarcastic or genuinely didn't know the what needs to be tested. And the interview questions were far from what was mentioned in "expectations from the candidate" area in the JD.

Month 2 mid...a call is scheduled with some partner in the US. By this time, the slow and listless way of recruiting had already piqued me. I dialed in at 07:00 am since the partner was on the east coast somewhere. No one joined- I waited for a 20 minutes, then hung up up when no one joined. I called the HR whose phone was switched off. The HR gets back to me on the next day apologizing for this and set up another call for a Friday morning. This time the partner joined and asked me some questions relevant to my work ex in the current firm, but from him I realized that the view of the partner is different from that of the kgs lead person. So much for they saying one firm all the time.

Interview Questions
    • Can you walk me through your cv (yes, this was the question- no please, no use of "could you please etc.)   Answer Question
    • The business case sounded like that provided to a fresh graduate..may be even some +2 person. .the situation was not at all difficult- zero analytical skills.
      this is not just my perception- I discussed with some friends in office about this, and they thought I am joking about it.

Answer Question

When they finally made the offer, it was another 15 days! I had completed 2 rounds of interview and closed an offer with a investment bank in about this time. The money was similar, but I think looking back- I would have even reneged the offer because of this insensitivity and inefficiency with which kgs handled the interview process

Senior Consultant, Sustainability Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at KPMG US.

Job position was for Sustainability Services.
    KPMG called me up to ask about my interests and current job profile.
    There were about 5 phone calls in total throughout the interview process.
    Call-1: Some HR called who explained about the position and asked about the current profile. He asked for details related to current salary, position, expected salary etc.
    He also scheduled the telephonic interview.

Call-2: Associate Director from KPMG called up. He asked few questions about my profile and current projects that I was working on.
    He explained about hierarchy in KPMG and also asked about hierarchy in my current organization. He said that there is no position with title as "SENIOR CONSULTANT" in KPMG (Which was shocking, as you can see number of senior consultants from KPMG all over).
    Then he promised a position and salary hike as 25 to 30% of my current salary.

Call-3: Some HR guy called. He had no idea of what he was speaking. I sometimes wonder of how can firm like KPMG hire so "Dumb" HR folks. He explained that KPMG offers minimum of 20 % and maximum of 25 % hike over current salary package. When i asked him to calculate the amount it was barely 12% hike over the current package. He was puzzled and could not cover up his foolishness.

Call-4: I got call from HR again asking me how discussions went over last call. I explained him in detail that salary and position offered in the offer are not in sync with what was offered during interview process. He assured to get back with corrected figures.

Call-5: No change in offer. I declined "POLITELY".

Notes:
    I later got call from my friend who said that HR mis-communicated to the director about my salary expectations as Exorbitant (I do not understand how come 25% to 30% hike is exorbitant). And hence I declined the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Question from HR:

"Industry standard hike offered is 12% for 4 years of experience, how can you expect 25% at this level?"

(let me know if anyone understands this question and which consulting practice among Big 4 offers 12% hike at 4 years of experience. Else we can get that HR from KPMG on Comedy Nights with Kapil)

View Answer

Offer was not in sync with what was discussed during interview process.
    No transparency in recruitment process.
    Dumb HRs

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at KPMG US.

It was a one on one Interview, Very friendly interview. Was more like a conversation than an Interview. It lasted for about 20 ins and after 7 days I started working as an Intern in GO-To-Market approach. The work environment is very good. Very good place to start your career.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at KPMG US in June 2014.

worst interview ever which lasted couple of minutes,tell me abut urself and we will let u know.first they keep u waiting for 4 hrs for no damn reason after which interviewer doesnt look interested in you and wants to wrap as soon as possible.

Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US.

Just two rounds..one with the HR and other was technical

Interview Questions
    • It was on As 21 and 23...dont remember precisely...two years back   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate

Senior Internal Auditor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US.

I applied through professional connection, and received notification from the department secretary for interview. The first round was with the Associate Director in the office, second interview with Partner in charge over the phone. They are constantly looking for qualified candidates due to the lack of well trained risk based internal auditors in Taiwan. I received an offer in 2 weeks time.

Articled Trainee Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at KPMG US.

phone Interview

Interview Questions
    • if you're in your third year how would you pursue articleship?   View Answer

Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at KPMG US in February 2014.

there were 3 interviews- HR round then we had the techical round followed by the telephonice interview.