KPMG US Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2015
1,539 Interview Reviews

2.8

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at KPMG US.

Interview

30 -min face to face interview with the Director of the Advisory Services. On Campus interview. A very informal setting, relaxed and comfortable. They just wanted to know more about me and why I chose to apply and how this position could help me to advance in my career. They told a lot about the position as well.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background and why I'm interested in this role   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (New York, NY).

Interview

The interviews were done on campus by the Peat Marwick Mitchell & Co. They had selected 17 people to interview that day at the recrurment office by then Senior Managers off the company.

Interview Questions

• If you could be any piece of furniture what would you be and why?   1 Answer

Summer Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting, interviewed with local recruiters and then with recruiters in the Atlanta office. All expenses paid. They were very welcoming and gave me their response very promptly.

Valuations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process started with a member of HR reaching out to me for a quick phone interview regarding my background. The process continued with a phone interview with one of the managers in the practice. Afterwards I received an invitation to meet senior members of the team for an in-person interviews. The day was full of interviews (about 7 interviews, 30 minutes each) with various ranked professionals. They were all very nice and treated me to lunch afterwards where I got to talk to analysts and senior analysts in a more relaxed setting. A few weeks later I heard back from HR regarding the group's decision on me.

Interview Questions

• How would you build or calculate a discount rate (WACC) for your model?   Answer Question
    • How would you go about valuing a company [in certain situations]?   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at KPMG US.

Interview

The process went very long (3+ months). The interviews (7 in all) were mostly behavioral and situation questions, with plenty of leeway to ask questions.

The interviewers were friendly and respectful and gave me a sense that working with them would be a good experience. The main criteria seemed to be fit and relevant/transferable work experience.

While the salary offered did not match my expectation, I accepted the position as I felt it would be a good experience and would positively impact my career in the long run.

Tax Technology Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at KPMG US in April 2015.

Interview

It was a 20 min phone interview. We discussed the projects I did and I was asked several questions regarding to how to code by given situation. I feel like they are looking for people who excel at coding instead of people who have both information system knowledge and tax knowledge. I was not asked about any questions regarding to tax.

Risk Consulting IT Attestation Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (New Brunswick, NJ).

Interview

We have a pre-interview perception and I met with the one who will be my interviewer, a department director. And next morning I have the interview. We mainly talked about the work and activity I have done and the skills I learnt. He didn't ask any hard question, even strength or weakness. So I think I told nothing outstanding to him, which should be the reason I failed.

Interview Questions

• Why do you choose this position?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US.

Interview

I was internally referred by a partner in another practice. My interview consisted of 1 screening interview, 1 phone interview with a director, and then 2 face-to-face interviews on the same day with a director and the practice partner. The screening interview is just the typical sanity check to make sure that you did go to college and graduated and that everything on your resume is true as written.

The phone interview had to be rescheduled twice because the director who was supposed to interview me (who is also the project director for the engagement I ended up being hired for) kept forgetting. Instead, I had a phone interview with the director over the practice to which I was hired. The interview started off talking about NFL football, then about college football, and then regarding the potential engagement to which I would be hired. There was absolutely no assessment of my skills, knowledge, or motivation.

The face-to-face interviews were with a director and a partner. The director interview consisted of him talking about football as well. However, the topic quickly changed to him assessing my knowledge of the industry, knowledge regarding federal regulations affecting the industry and how private firms should address the changes. The interview with the partner was not actually face-to-face. I called the partner from his KPMG office to his cell upon which he asked if I knew what the position entailed and how much I was expecting in salary.

I was offered the position the very next day. Needless to say, I over prepared for this interview.

Interview Questions

• What skills do you bring to the firm given your unique background?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was given an offer, I asked my recruiting contact if there was "anything left on the table" to voer my student loans and the relocation to another city. The offer came back $5k more.

Future Diversity Leaders Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at KPMG US.

Interview

The interview was held in the career services office at my university. Before the interview, I made small talk with the campus recruiter. Then, I had a 30 minute interview with the diversity recruiter. She was very friendly and easy to talk to, much like many people at KPMG. The interview was primarily behavioral and was more like a conversation.

Information Protection Associate Interview

Interview

Very casual interview. Behavioral questions and discussion about prior work experience. Interviewed with 3 people during 30 min 1 on 1 sessions. Very friendly and personable people. Overall great experience visiting the firm, interviewing and learning about the position/company.