KPMG US

3.2

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montvale, NJ

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US in May 2014.

Initial communication was from an HR related person, i assume, who never really indicated who he was. He asked me directly what my current salary was which I did not expect, that was our first interaction.
    The interview was fun and informative; we did a working session with the team. I attribute the pleasantry of this interview to the nature of the people in their design team. They had me sketch up an idea for a promotion for a charity run/walk. As a UX designer, i was confused as to why they were interested in the final look rather than the discovery and analysis of it.

The HR guy then asked me to complete another exercise which he sent through email. I was given essentially two days time to develop an entire web experience in both photoshop and html/css. Again as a UX designer I was curious why they were more concerned about the final product instead of practices to clarify the situation. I also currently have a full time job and it was hard to complete this exercise in the allotted time.
    When i tried contacting them for clarifications on the directions, which only requested a .PSD file, i was not given any clarification on the exercise and told to also submit the html and css files along.

In the end I handed in a completed PSD 2 page mock and a full html and half the css, I could not afford to spend more than 16 hours on a project I was not going to get reimbursed for. When I asked for more info on the job, they just said " did you finish yet."

Overall this was a very disappointing interview, and I have been through many great interviews while still not landing the jobs.

Senior Associate - Corporate Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montvale, NJ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at KPMG US in March 2014.

I send in my application and after about a month I was contacted for an intial phone interview with HR, followed by another phone interview with the Hiring Manager. I was called in for an interview with top members of the management team in the following week and two weeks later I got the results. The process was very efficient. I am not sure if they really wanted to hire. Managers made comments such as, "We want to see what is out there in the market".

Interview Questions
    • Did you rely on PR for stories as a journalist?   View Answer

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montvale, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at KPMG US in December 2013.

Received a call from recruiter and then from the manager. This was my first interview They were both very polite. The manager asked questions regarding my work experience. These questions were from the most frequent 21 questions asked at a big 4 interview. You can google to find these questions.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montvale, NJ

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US in October 2013.

The initial contact was through a hiring agency. KPMG was looking for a Senior PM with in-depth knowledge of data warehouses, both from a business and a technical perspective, for a program proposed by the firm's CIO.

I interviewed with three people at their office in Montvale, NJ, each of whom would have been a peer in the organization. Each person was quite frank about the fact that the effort was in its embryonic stages and would need someone who could not only manage projects, but also run discovery sessions and do presentations to gather requirements for one or more pilot efforts.

Their feedback to the program manager must have been positive, as I was called back in to meet with him a few days later. The gist of that conversation was that he was more interested in what kind of project governance he could expect from me rather than how I could help generate interest among the partners for the endeavor.

After waiting almost two weeks, I was informed by the hiring agency that the PgM had hired someone else through a different agency.

Interview Questions
    • There were really no difficult or unexpected questions. What WAS unexpected was the disconnect between the PgM and his reports over the requirements for the position.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montvale, NJ

I applied through other source – interviewed at KPMG US in June 2013.

I was an internal hire

Useless. They added repsonsibility but declined my request for increased compensation

Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montvale, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at KPMG US in April 2013.

1 phone, 4 in person, final with Executive Director. They were rather transparent of the changes in IT, with attrition, layoffs, etc. New management at the firm were trying to address issues in moral, etc. Take away was this is a large organization undergoing change but with any org this size, change will not come easy.

Offered by other firms.

Associate Learning Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montvale, NJ

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at KPMG US in January 2013.

I was bought back from an earlier interview to meet with this new department. It wasnt the most challenging interview. I thought the questions were expected and that the Director and Managers were very friendly. Initial phone interview, in person interview. The most frustrating things about interviewing at KPMG is lack of HR follow up, and when you enter the building theres no front desk assistant you stand there confused until one of the friendly employees explain to you that you need to pick up a phone and call your contact. Ridiculous.

Interview Questions
    • How would you manager an important client without direction?   View Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montvale, NJ

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US in January 2012.

Was contacted by the recruiter and asked to set up an initial phone screen. The phone screen consisted on some basic OOPs and SQL concepts. The recruiter set up a technical 1:1 phone interview. Was contacted a week later saying that they wanted me to come by their Montvale, NJ office for two 1:3 panel interviews. The first interview was okay with some basic and some advanced ASP.NET and SQL Server and general Computer Science questions. The second interview was much more technically challenging. The questions ranged from general Computer Science concepts to very specific ASP.NET architecture.

I knew from the second interview that I had slim chances of getting through. Was told a couple of weeks later by the recruiter (by phone) that they're going with some other candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the architecture of your ASP.NET application? Why is a DAL required?   Answer Question
    • What is the difference between stack and heap? What if I initialize an object within the scope of a function?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montvale, NJ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at KPMG US in September 2010.

After having applied online, the first round consisted of a recruiter contacting me and running through the standard gambit of questions relating to my experience, educational qualifications and why was I applying for the position. The next set of questions was a basic technical screening on the technologies used (Object Oriented Principles, .Net Basics).

After clearing that, I had a more detailed screening on the phone. This was with a Development Manager and was for a little over an hour. The questioning was on everything I said was my strengths, in terms of technologies. Lots of detailed questions on SQL, Advanced C#, Databases, Designing and .Net technologies. Definitely an intense round as the questions were not the canned types but more the thought-invoking ones with 'why would you do this, what technological aspect of blah blah would you use in this scenario', etc. Be prepared to justify your answers in detail, and not just spitting out what you learned online.

Third round was on site with a whole group of Architecture, Development and Product Managers. This was for about 4 hours. I was asked everything about everything I have probably ever done in 5 years of my work experience and why and how I could have, would have done it differently and why! Technical questions, design questions, implementing technical solutions to problems on a white board, analysis of code, nuts and bolts about .Net framework, internals, memory utilization, threading, C#, database designing, etc. PHEW! Don't expect a red carpet with coffee and cake. It's all business!

Interview Questions
    • Please describe why you designed your solution the way you implemented it?   Answer Question
    • What do think is wrong about the design you just described and why? How would make it better?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montvale, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at KPMG US in July 2010.

I first had a phone interview with an internal recruiter, my skill set applied however once we got to salary, it was far below what i was looking for. 2 days later I recieved an email from the recruiter asking me to reconsider and have an open mind, so I did. I interviewed with my direct report and then the next day the director of the department. They were both very nice, very interested in if I was going to "fit" in the department, they said its like a little family. The buildings are large but not so full of life at all, maybe alot of people on vacation or simply utilizing the flex/work from home time they allow. There were places to sit outside and they have bbq's on Thursday's during the summer. Overall experience was a positive one, I am getting an offer however have not seen it yet. Got an offer from another company (much smaller) so I have weigh the benefits (apparently they are very good) and very curious what the compensation offer will be.

Interview Questions
    • What did you do at your old company, what happened (why did you lose your job)   Answer Question