KPMG US Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jun 21, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Contacted by campus recruiter after submitting a resume. I was offered an interview on campus, and after making it past the first round I was invited to fly out to tour the office and I was interviewed by two of the managing partners there. The firm was very professional, and the interview process was organized in such a way that I knew what was going on. I have also interviewed with other accounting firms with similar results.

Advisory Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at KPMG US (San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Applied through my Universities career website. Did an on campus first round interview, all behavioral no case. Got invited to an office visit which included team building, two interviews, lunch, Q&A, and dinner. Overall everyone I interacted with was extremely friendly and helpful. From the first time I talked with KPMG at my college career fair until the day I got my offer I was treated with respect and any questions I had were answered thoroughly.

Interview Questions

• No real difficult questions, maybe what specific industry you want to work in.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negation, firm and very fair offer.

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Within an hour of the standard phone screening by a recruiter and I was requested to hold a phone interview the next day with the director of the unit I was interviewing for. This interview went into more detail regarding skills and experience including some technical questions. I was then contacted by the same recruiter within an hour to schedule an in-house interview with the director and two senior managers. Being that I am employed, I e-mailed the recruiter various available dates for the next two weeks. The next day, I received an e-mail from a different recruiter informing me that an interview was scheduled for a day I had previously informed them I was not available. I decided to be accommodating and re-arranged my work schedule.

The day of the interview things were a little odd but I kept an open mind. The receptionist was occupied reading sports news on her computer that she did not hear my "excuse me's". Once she did, her comment and tone implied that it was my fault that she did not hear me and I was asked to wait. My interviewer promptly arrived and escorted me to the next level up the stairs where we found a weeping woman who was ignored. I had interviews with the two managers and was told that the director could not make her interview due to an emergency. Despite some of these unusual events, the senior managers were very bright individuals.

The second recruiter contacted me to schedule a second in-house interview with the director and two other managers. I provided my availability for the next two weeks and was again faced with the same situation: I was contacted by a third recruiter to inform me of the interview scheduled on a day I was not available and I accommodated their request. The two managers were very approachable but the director could not attend for what I believed were medical reasons.

I was very interested in the position and was also very impressed with the director and all the managers I spoke with. Perhaps the frustration of having to re-arrange my work schedule and the perceived disrespect was apparent during the interviews. My disappointment in the recruiters' actions did discourage me from following up with the process.

Interview Questions

• Why KPMG?   Answer Question
    • How would you approach a situation where a business is not willing to provide records for examination?   Answer Question

Advisory Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at KPMG US (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The hiring/ interview process was pretty typical of a Big 4/ consulting environment; initial phone screening by a recruiter, phone call interviews (mostly behavioral and fit based) with Sr. Manager/ Director. Followed by in-person interview at local KPMG office with Director/ Partner.

The one thing I will say about the process is that the scheduling was VERY unorganized and the phone calls somewhat disinterested. Prior to scheduling an interview the recruiter/ or assistant would reach out and ask for availability for the following week, after providing it, I got no response. After the week was up I issued a follow up email and was again asked to provide availability for the NEXT week, no apology or justification for delay in response. I would be contacted 24-48 hours prior to the scheduled interview via email confirmation, no phone call/ or email to confirm my availability.

Finally, after going through this disorganized practice and poor applicant experience (5 weeks in), I simply informed them I had accepted another offer and declined the final interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at KPMG US (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Phone interview with the Campus Recruiter and then 3 in person interviews of 30 min each with different managers and partners in the office. All behavioral questions and conversations about my background and "why accounting / KPMG". Most of my interviews were just like normal conversations and only one resorted to a pre determined list of questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a recent ethical dilemma and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Evs Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at KPMG US (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

asked about financial statements, how would depreciation flow over the 3 statements, DCF, WACC ext

Information Protection Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at KPMG US (San Francisco, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Initial campus meeting where we went over the basics (Why KPMG?, why Information Protection, What makes you different from other applicants, etc). Then, I was asked to come to the office and I was flown out to interview with 2 partners and 1 senior manager, all of which had different technical questions and different areas specified. After the three interviews, I was taken out to lunch with 2 associates and I had a chance to ask them any questions about the internship experience or full time questions. After lunch I met with the recruiter and was told I had an offer.

Interview Questions

• Knowing that you will have to travel and have a highly stressful career, why do you want to go into consulting?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable

Associate, Advisory Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at KPMG US (San Francisco, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Positives: KPMG has an array of extremely professional, personable and level-headed people. On top of this, I respect the work of the advisory group I was interviewing with. This was all very refreshing and exciting to be around during the interview process itself. The questions I was asked were all experience-related and personality-based. Overall, I enjoyed the people I met and the experience very much.

Negatives: The one thing I thought was awful was the on-boarding and follow-up process of the interview. After two phone interviews that went well, I had to reach out to the "experienced-hire" recruiter myself to check and see when I would receive flight information and booking details for the in-person interviews. There was so much of a delay that I had to book a flight last-minute on a connecting flight that got in to the city I was interviewing in at such a terrible hour. After the interview, I again had to reach myself to see whether I got the job or not. It turns out, I did which was exciting! However, the unprofessional manner of the on-boarding and follow-up seriously slashed the legitimacy of the company for me. I think this something that is definitely fixable and I hope to see changed if I ever interview with the company again.

Overall, not a bad experience at all. The company is great. I got the offer and I turned it down because I would like to have more experience in my current industry before pursuing an advisory-type role.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I was hired full-time through first going through the KPMG internship program as a junior in college. I went through college recruiting where I had a first round interview with a KPMG recruiter at my campus career center. Then I was invited in for the second and final round of interviews, which was a full day over-night interview process, which included dinner with professionals, paid hotel room for the night in the city, and 2 interviews the next morning with a manager and a partner. All questions were behavioral and the partner interview was particularly informal - at this point, they want to just get to know you and whether they'd be interested in having you on one of their audit teams.

Interview Questions

• Please give a situation in which you were in an ethically compromising situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No salary negotiation as salaries are the same across the board for all interns and new-hires. However there is a higher salary for new hires who can demonstrate that they've completed 150 units towards their CPA. Also bonuses for passing all 4 CPA exams within the first two years of hire.

Implementation Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (San Francisco, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

First round interviews on Campus included a social the night before to see how we acted in social situations. Then interview the next day with partner who flew up to interview. Interview was 45 minutes and was pretty laid back.

Second round interview was at KPMG office in San Fransisco. They flew me in, put me up in a nice hotel, hand a very nice dinner with 3 staff the night before (in a large banquet room wth many other student applicants. Interview the next day included presentation from a few partners about what they do, splitting the group of applicants in half and doing interviews with half and team building with the other half. I was selected for team building first (which is really so they can see how you interact in pressure / team building environments). Then we switch and the other group does team building and I was taken to interview. Two different interviews with senior managers. Pretty casual conversation with the first interviewer, and the second one had many technical questions.

Interview Questions

• "I do not what the pat answer where you take a negative and flip it around to make it a positive. Tell me a weakness that you have."   1 Answer