KPMG US

2.7

38 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US.

I was asked to interview and accepted a phone screen. There were 3 phone screens, but each one was for a completely different position. They gave widely different and inconsistent descriptions of the company, but they were offering a full-time position with benefits and that was the main attraction.

The on-site interview was very disorganized. I sat in the interview room for a long time while the receptionist scurried around trying to find people to interview me. The interviewers were all very nice but I could tell they were unprepared. One of them was reading my resume during the interview and asking questions as he read without even looking up very often.

One interviewer described his own project in great detail and said they wanted someone who could be effective right away in that application area. Another said they were looking for a generalist to learn and take on whatever skill was needed at any particular time.

One bad sign was that they do not reimburse interview travel expense. This makes it look like they don't want to invest into the candidate but just interview whoever came along without any clear goal or purpose.

Interview Questions
  • One interviewer made an obvious error in his question as if he didn't understand the meaning of a particular technical term. I was not sure if he did that to test me or if he just didn't know the application area.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for KPMG US

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US.

Applied on campus

Interview Questions
    • Nothing special, no behavioral questions. I walked through resume and answered followed up questions: how i did it, what was the difficulty, what was the result..   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at KPMG US in February 2014.

Went to the interview. Pretty standard super day. Met with MDs, VPs, Associates. Was asked several financial questions: Walk me through, DCF, LBO, Accretion dilution model. How do you calculate EV, Equity value. What are the common components of Comparable comps

I had several offers so I was able to negotiate my salary.

Senior Associate Interview

interviewed at KPMG US in January 2014.

If you get a call or email from someone in KPMG's South Africa office or the "Recruitment Research" or "EHR Research" group in the U.S., do not waste your time and call them back. In the few times that they've contacted me from this group, the HR person is clueless about the positions they are supposedly recruiting you for. They make it sound like they are taking notes or assisting the official recruiting department. They have no idea what projects they are recruiting for but of course will ask you to provide your salary requirements, etc. It sounds more like they're collecting information for their year end performance assessments (i.e where they're paying their current employees and what the market is currently demanding), KPIs, or whatever HR initiatives under their belt. In my most recent phone call, the recruiter was so unprepared with my own basic questions about the group, role, and what was going on with the company that I felt that I was the one being the interviewer and he was nothing more than a deer in headlights. Useless interviews and wasting candidate's time for their own personal "research" agenda.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at KPMG US.

Behavioral questions for the most part. People interviewing you want to make sure you are detail oriented, a hard worker and will be a great person to work with. Given than projects can last for many months and you will be working with the same team for long hours, people want to know you can be a team player and get along well with others.

Interview Questions
    • No technical questions for this level position. Be ready to have good examples of interesting projects you worked in the past and examples of when you showed initiative and leadership.   Answer Question
    Asked for a sign in bonus, received a reasonable amount.

Senior Associate Interview

The hiring process was straight forward. There were 3 interviews with senior management. The interview was at a very high level. There is a lot to take in for a firm that has so many employees.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Short Hills, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Short Hills, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at KPMG US in February 2013.

Applied through a referral and got a call from an internal recruiter a month later for a phone interview that lasted 15 minutes. After that initial contact got an Interview date with a partner and a manager. Three months later got a second interview with a Senior Manager and a Director. During all this time never got contacted by a HR Recruiter. Even with Follow Ups and Thank you Emails, the recruiter that works for this office never replied to the emails.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US in February 2013.

The overall hiring process was very quick and straight forward. (Unlike several other firms who made me jump through hoops - hours of personality testing, which makes me think culture fit is all they seem to care about...how is that good for the client? ) At KPMG's management consulting business,I had one interview with HR recruiter, one interview with a Director over the phone and two in-person interviews. Each interview lasted only 30 minutes. Overall it was a positive experience. The people seem to know what they are doing and what/who they are looking for.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing very difficult other than being tested on how sharp I was and if I had the specialized knowledge I claimed on my resume.   View Answer
    Was required to put in my last salary in the formal application, which made me uncomfortable because I did not want to minimize my starting salary. They came in with a few thousand more than my previous base and I negotiated and was given more. I had 3 more interviews lined up with other potential employers so I felt I was in a comfortable place to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at KPMG US in July 2012.

You should realize that the recruiting, assessment, and selection process is decentralized and stratified at the very least by campus and experienced hires per service area Audit, Tax, and Advisory and then again per Management, Risk, and Transactions and Restructuring, and then again per practice area. Each may have its own standard (or not) process. You should also not, there may or may not be a specific job opening, position or role and I had a very hard time clarifying that.

I can't remember but I think I applied to an online posting. I was contacted by a contract recruiter, who I didn't know at the time was sourcing other positions for herself which caused a huge break in continuity in my process. I believe she was trying to do the right thing but was bound by the constraints surrounding her in terms of position, level, salary and namely engagement project in need of staffing.

I had a recruiting interview where I was told they were indeed actively looking for candidates for positions to fill but also for a big picture fit (turns out no one downstream could actually speak to the specifics of what exactly that meant). There was never an actual job, level, project or hiring manager identified so it made the process very nebulous (which, if you are in that business, you know its completely ineffective).

I had two phone interviews from a manager and senior manager (who's title is now a Director). I was flown in for two onsites, with a friendly, pleasant managing director, and was scheduled to meet with the partner (the one in charge though unfortunately I did not find that out until way too late). He no showed and no called. Then AFTER an offer was actually presented, I was told I had another interview with an engagement employee who needed staff. When I asked if this person could maintain input power for the job or only the project resources, I was sideswiped and told to take the interview seriously???

All the interviews were unstructured and more conversational. Easy to control and navigate, especially having experience as a targeted behavioral interviewer, though the climate, culture and actual work was not represented accurately. The major problem was the timing. I had successfully completed the process and told an offer was in the making. This took over a month and in the meantime had foolishly turned down another offer for a similar job with a competing firm as I was told this was the most people focused firm of the big four (big lie). I was strung along, to keep warm and interested, and when push came to shove started looking for other jobs. When I was finally made an offer a month later, a completely unreasonable start date was posed (at the time I had filled out the application, the date I noted for availability was no longer valid) I was expected to relo (unpaid) 350 miles and start in 10 days.

I was met with irritable resistance and complexity when attempting to negotiate a more appropriate date given the circumstances. I stood my ground and when it was finally worked out, onboarded though scheduled for and attending orientation, was told I was expected to be on client site. I again stood my ground (if you don't get orientation opportunity, you better forget it will ever happen--there are a gazillion new employee requirements and tons of "training") and instead of the project waiting another day (orientation was 2, and I only found out on day 2 I was expected elsewhere but not told) they never-minded me. Super childish and unprofessional however, to my benefit because I explicitly stated that I knew of an engagement (this one) in NB, NJ that would NOT be a good match for me and if they were sourcing for that project, it would be more appropriate for me to self select out. I had to dodge that project 2 more times before I got assigned to it 9 months later. A huge thorn in my side and one I never got over given how dysfunctional I knew the project was.

At the end of the day, I was very sorry I took the job

Interview Questions
    • None--totally conversational. It was neither structured or behavioral. Interview feedback (back to the stakeholders, there's no hiring manager) was informal "sign off" from input from others with little or no stake The entire process needs strategy, organization, structure, standardization, integration and mapping. They go on gut feelings of partner ego which makes the match process grossly negligent and ineffective.   Answer Question
    Arduous. I had stated up front that I was looking for 6 figures and when asked what's the lowest in the 90s salary I would accept (???? who says this) said 99 (of course). Negotiating the start date was even more of a nightmare given they provided only 10 days from written offer for a no relo job 350 miles away, I stood my ground on ample notice since I was willing to withdraw my acceptance.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US in May 2012.

Initial screen by a recruiter who contacted me and set up meeting for the following week . Met with Senior Manager and Partner. Discussed the opportunities available to me and the potential clients I'll be working with. Very professional and personable on both interviewers, genuinely seemed interested in where I can fit in and what they can provide and help with in career progression. After interview told that I would hear back within a week. I was contacted 1 week later for additional information and waited another week until the hiring manager called and informed me that I got the position.

No room for negotiation.