KPMG US Senior Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at KPMG US (Seattle, WA).

Interview

There was nothing out of the ordinary with the interview process itself, I ultimately ended up interviewing with 3 different people prior to getting a job offer. The interview process ended up taking months, because a partner that I was supposed to interview with ended up being out of the country, then overbooked, then on-site with a client somewhere, then not available for other reasons...

Interview Questions

• They asked about my prior experience in various areas listed on my resume. Where I had worked and what work I had performed.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for KPMG US

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at KPMG US.

Interview

The process went very long (3+ months). The interviews (7 in all) were mostly behavioral and situation questions, with plenty of leeway to ask questions. The interviewers were friendly and respectful and gave me a sense that working with them would be a good experience. The main criteria seemed to be fit and relevant/transferable work experience. While the salary offered did not match my expectation, I accepted the position as I felt it would be a good experience and would positively impact my career in the long run.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at KPMG US (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

Long process, have not finished yet. They do not follow up, you need to write them and see what is happening. They hire people only if there are projects available.

Interview Questions

• 3 phone interviews: walk them through your resume. 2 behavioral interviews: Why KPMG?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (Reston, VA) in January 2015.

Interview

I was referred to a KPMG recruiter by an employee who I formerly worked with. A few days later I was emailed and set up a phone screen time. I was called at this time and the recruiter was pleasant and asked what would my ideal work environment and position be. I was told I would be called in the next week to see if there was a match for my specific skill set and desires. I was called and told there was a possible opportunity and scheduled an in person interview with the recruiter and the hiring manager which went well. Finally a panel interview with a senior manager, the HR manager and the project manager of the team I was to be working one was had one week after the first in person.

Interview Questions

• I was asked the regular questions about my history and background. Personality questions dominated the interview such as how would I react to over zealous clients and managing working with groups of technical employees as well as members of different departments.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (Sacramento, CA).

Interview

I was asked to interview and accepted a phone screen. There were 3 phone screens, but each one was for a completely different position. They gave widely different and inconsistent descriptions of the company, but they were offering a full-time position with benefits and that was the main attraction. The on-site interview was very disorganized. I sat in the interview room for a long time while the receptionist scurried around trying to find people to interview me. The interviewers were all very nice but I could tell they were unprepared. One of them was reading my resume during the interview and asking questions as he read without even looking up very often. One interviewer described his own project in great detail and said they wanted someone who could be effective right away in that application area. Another said they were looking for a generalist to learn and take on whatever skill was needed at any particular time. One bad sign was that they do not reimburse interview travel expense. This makes it look like they don't want to invest into the candidate but just interview whoever came along without any clear goal or purpose.

Interview Questions

• One interviewer made an obvious error in his question as if he didn't understand the meaning of a particular technical term. I was not sure if he did that to test me or if he just didn't know the application area.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Within an hour of the standard phone screening by a recruiter and I was requested to hold a phone interview the next day with the director of the unit I was interviewing for. This interview went into more detail regarding skills and experience including some technical questions. I was then contacted by the same recruiter within an hour to schedule an in-house interview with the director and two senior managers. Being that I am employed, I e-mailed the recruiter various available dates for the next two weeks. The next day, I received an e-mail from a different recruiter informing me that an interview was scheduled for a day I had previously informed them I was not available. I decided to be accommodating and re-arranged my work schedule. The day of the interview things were a little odd but I kept an open mind. The receptionist was occupied reading sports news on her computer that she did not hear my "excuse me's". Once she did, her comment and tone implied that it was my fault that she did not hear me and I was asked to wait. My interviewer promptly arrived and escorted me to the next level up the stairs where we found a weeping woman who was ignored. I had interviews with the two managers and was told that the director could not make her interview due to an emergency. Despite some of these unusual events, the senior managers were very bright individuals. The second recruiter contacted me to schedule a second in-house interview with the director and two other managers. I provided my availability for the next two weeks and was again faced with the same situation: I was contacted by a third recruiter to inform me of the interview scheduled on a day I was not available and I accommodated their request. The two managers were very approachable but the director could not attend for what I believed were medical reasons. I was very interested in the position and was also very impressed with the director and all the managers I spoke with. Perhaps the frustration of having to re-arrange my work schedule and the perceived disrespect was apparent during the interviews. My disappointment in the recruiters' actions did discourage me from following up with the process.

Interview Questions

• Why KPMG?   Answer Question
    • How would you approach a situation where a business is not willing to provide records for examination?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Applied on campus

Interview Questions

• Nothing special, no behavioral questions. I walked through resume and answered followed up questions: how i did it, what was the difficulty, what was the result..   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at KPMG US (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Went to the interview. Pretty standard super day. Met with MDs, VPs, Associates. Was asked several financial questions: Walk me through, DCF, LBO, Accretion dilution model. How do you calculate EV, Equity value. What are the common components of Comparable comps

Negotiation

I had several offers so I was able to negotiate my salary.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (Chicago, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

6 interviews in total: --- Remote Interviews (Conducted via Phone) --- First interview was a phone screen conducted by one of their internal recruiters. Focus was on why I wanted to join KPMG and salary expectations Two phone interviews followed; one behavioral and the other technical. Focus was on assessing fit with firm culture and technical acumen as related to the position being applied for. --- In-Office Interviews --- Was flown to Chicago where I met with four members of the team I was intending to join: First interviewer was a Manager who wanted to know what questions I had about KPMG and asked a few questions about the types of engagements I had encountered in the past. Next interview was with a Senior Associate who asked several pointed questions around the skillsets required to be successful in the role (e.g. tell me about how you approach an application rationalization) Third interview was a case conducted by a Manager. Company X is looking to acquire Company Y. What are the most important things for them to consider when integrating their IT systems? How would you structure a team to help Company X achieve successful integration? Last interview of the day was with a Managing Director and included another case around the integration of a specialty gas company into a company with a global network of commodity gas manufacturers operating as their own P&Ls. Questions were mostly around how the business should be structured (stay operating as distinct P&Ls or integrate) and their location strategy. Final question was about how to structure the IT organization to support the proposed structure. After returning home, I was told I needed to meet with a Partner at my local office. That interview was scheduled approximately a week later and focused on what I could bring to the firm if hired. Questions included: What do you want to be famous for / why does your phone ring? What network of contacts could you bring that we could use to sell new work tomorrow? Before leaving the interview, I was asked to take on a homework assignment. The assignment was to write a 2-4 page white paper on how IT could prove its value to the business. I was given until the end of the day to complete the assignment and send it back to the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to be famous for / why does your phone ring? What network of contacts could you bring that we could use to sell new work tomorrow?   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Application

interviewed at KPMG US in January 2014.

Interview

If you get a call or email from someone in KPMG's South Africa office or the "Recruitment Research" or "EHR Research" group in the U.S., do not waste your time and call them back. In the few times that they've contacted me from this group, the HR person is clueless about the positions they are supposedly recruiting you for. They make it sound like they are taking notes or assisting the official recruiting department. They have no idea what projects they are recruiting for but of course will ask you to provide your salary requirements, etc. It sounds more like they're collecting information for their year end performance assessments (i.e where they're paying their current employees and what the market is currently demanding), KPIs, or whatever HR initiatives under their belt. In my most recent phone call, the recruiter was so unprepared with my own basic questions about the group, role, and what was going on with the company that I felt that I was the one being the interviewer and he was nothing more than a deer in headlights. Useless interviews and wasting candidate's time for their own personal "research" agenda.