KPMG US Senior Associate Interview Questions

Updated Mar 8, 2015

2.8

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at KPMG US.

Interview

The process went very long (3+ months). The interviews (7 in all) were mostly behavioral and situation questions, with plenty of leeway to ask questions.

The interviewers were friendly and respectful and gave me a sense that working with them would be a good experience. The main criteria seemed to be fit and relevant/transferable work experience.

While the salary offered did not match my expectation, I accepted the position as I felt it would be a good experience and would positively impact my career in the long run.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for KPMG US

Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (Reston, VA) in January 2015.

Interview

I was referred to a KPMG recruiter by an employee who I formerly worked with. A few days later I was emailed and set up a phone screen time. I was called at this time and the recruiter was pleasant and asked what would my ideal work environment and position be. I was told I would be called in the next week to see if there was a match for my specific skill set and desires. I was called and told there was a possible opportunity and scheduled an in person interview with the recruiter and the hiring manager which went well. Finally a panel interview with a senior manager, the HR manager and the project manager of the team I was to be working one was had one week after the first in person.

Interview Questions

• I was asked the regular questions about my history and background. Personality questions dominated the interview such as how would I react to over zealous clients and managing working with groups of technical employees as well as members of different departments.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (Sacramento, CA).

Interview

I was asked to interview and accepted a phone screen. There were 3 phone screens, but each one was for a completely different position. They gave widely different and inconsistent descriptions of the company, but they were offering a full-time position with benefits and that was the main attraction.

The on-site interview was very disorganized. I sat in the interview room for a long time while the receptionist scurried around trying to find people to interview me. The interviewers were all very nice but I could tell they were unprepared. One of them was reading my resume during the interview and asking questions as he read without even looking up very often.

One interviewer described his own project in great detail and said they wanted someone who could be effective right away in that application area. Another said they were looking for a generalist to learn and take on whatever skill was needed at any particular time.

One bad sign was that they do not reimburse interview travel expense. This makes it look like they don't want to invest into the candidate but just interview whoever came along without any clear goal or purpose.

Interview Questions

• One interviewer made an obvious error in his question as if he didn't understand the meaning of a particular technical term. I was not sure if he did that to test me or if he just didn't know the application area.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Applied on campus

Interview Questions

• Nothing special, no behavioral questions. I walked through resume and answered followed up questions: how i did it, what was the difficulty, what was the result..   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at KPMG US (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Went to the interview. Pretty standard super day. Met with MDs, VPs, Associates. Was asked several financial questions: Walk me through, DCF, LBO, Accretion dilution model. How do you calculate EV, Equity value. What are the common components of Comparable comps

Negotiation

I had several offers so I was able to negotiate my salary.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (Chicago, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

6 interviews in total:

--- Remote Interviews (Conducted via Phone) ---

First interview was a phone screen conducted by one of their internal recruiters. Focus was on why I wanted to join KPMG and salary expectations

Two phone interviews followed; one behavioral and the other technical. Focus was on assessing fit with firm culture and technical acumen as related to the position being applied for.

--- In-Office Interviews ---

Was flown to Chicago where I met with four members of the team I was intending to join:

First interviewer was a Manager who wanted to know what questions I had about KPMG and asked a few questions about the types of engagements I had encountered in the past.

Next interview was with a Senior Associate who asked several pointed questions around the skillsets required to be successful in the role (e.g. tell me about how you approach an application rationalization)

Third interview was a case conducted by a Manager. Company X is looking to acquire Company Y. What are the most important things for them to consider when integrating their IT systems? How would you structure a team to help Company X achieve successful integration?

Last interview of the day was with a Managing Director and included another case around the integration of a specialty gas company into a company with a global network of commodity gas manufacturers operating as their own P&Ls. Questions were mostly around how the business should be structured (stay operating as distinct P&Ls or integrate) and their location strategy. Final question was about how to structure the IT organization to support the proposed structure.

After returning home, I was told I needed to meet with a Partner at my local office. That interview was scheduled approximately a week later and focused on what I could bring to the firm if hired. Questions included: What do you want to be famous for / why does your phone ring? What network of contacts could you bring that we could use to sell new work tomorrow?

Before leaving the interview, I was asked to take on a homework assignment. The assignment was to write a 2-4 page white paper on how IT could prove its value to the business. I was given until the end of the day to complete the assignment and send it back to the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to be famous for / why does your phone ring? What network of contacts could you bring that we could use to sell new work tomorrow?   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Application

interviewed at KPMG US in January 2014.

Interview

If you get a call or email from someone in KPMG's South Africa office or the "Recruitment Research" or "EHR Research" group in the U.S., do not waste your time and call them back. In the few times that they've contacted me from this group, the HR person is clueless about the positions they are supposedly recruiting you for. They make it sound like they are taking notes or assisting the official recruiting department. They have no idea what projects they are recruiting for but of course will ask you to provide your salary requirements, etc. It sounds more like they're collecting information for their year end performance assessments (i.e where they're paying their current employees and what the market is currently demanding), KPIs, or whatever HR initiatives under their belt. In my most recent phone call, the recruiter was so unprepared with my own basic questions about the group, role, and what was going on with the company that I felt that I was the one being the interviewer and he was nothing more than a deer in headlights. Useless interviews and wasting candidate's time for their own personal "research" agenda.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at KPMG US (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Behavioral questions for the most part. People interviewing you want to make sure you are detail oriented, a hard worker and will be a great person to work with. Given than projects can last for many months and you will be working with the same team for long hours, people want to know you can be a team player and get along well with others.

Interview Questions

• No technical questions for this level position. Be ready to have good examples of interesting projects you worked in the past and examples of when you showed initiative and leadership.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Asked for a sign in bonus, received a reasonable amount.

Senior Associate Interview

Interview

The hiring process was straight forward. There were 3 interviews with senior management. The interview was at a very high level. There is a lot to take in for a firm that has so many employees.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

The overall hiring process was very quick and straight forward. (Unlike several other firms who made me jump through hoops - hours of personality testing, which makes me think culture fit is all they seem to care about...how is that good for the client? ) At KPMG's management consulting business,I had one interview with HR recruiter, one interview with a Director over the phone and two in-person interviews. Each interview lasted only 30 minutes. Overall it was a positive experience. The people seem to know what they are doing and what/who they are looking for.

Interview Questions

• Nothing very difficult other than being tested on how sharp I was and if I had the specialized knowledge I claimed on my resume.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Was required to put in my last salary in the formal application, which made me uncomfortable because I did not want to minimize my starting salary. They came in with a few thousand more than my previous base and I negotiated and was given more. I had 3 more interviews lined up with other potential employers so I felt I was in a comfortable place to negotiate.