KQED Interview Questions

Updated Aug 5, 2015

2.9

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at KQED (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Got a call for an initial phone interview and it went well. Was asked to come in for in-person interviews with several people. Met with several people and asked typical questions about concerns working for a non-profit. Interviews went well except one person who I was supposed to interview for was not there. It appeared they liked me because I was asked to come back in again when the person returned from being out of the office. Office was very quiet with no one talking to each other. Sort of a dark, solemn work environment. However, after the second in-person interview, I was left hanging. I was never called or emailed to give me any sort of update on my status. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for a non-profit? Why do you want to work for KQED   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at KQED.

Interview

In-person interview with the producers and then tour of the studio. They called me they day before to ask if I was in town. I got a response less than a month later through email that I had gotten the position!

Production Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at KQED (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Group of three people interviewed me - one of them was half asleep but it was friendly and straightforward. No trick questions, they wanted to see that I knew about the program I was applying to work for and asked me about program topics.

Interview Questions

• What changes would you make to the production process if you get the job?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at KQED in April 2015.

Interview

I am going to be honest and will attempt to be as subjective as possible in this review. Caveat - in my career, this may be the most exciting role I have ever applied for. My experience, skill set and personal interests aligned with the posting uniquely (ok, some bias there). My experience with KQED Recruiting was exceptionally disappointing. Obviously, I can't speculate on the internal workings of the organization - but the Recruiting team's lack of follow up and response was both unprofessional and disrespectful. I had an initial phone screen with a Recruiter that went, in my mind, quite well. It was conveyed at that time that the team was enthusiastic about my potential and I would be called for in-person interviews soon. When visiting the KQED headquarters in San Francisco, I met with the Director of the team and then with a group of employees with which the position had the most interaction. Both the one-on-one and the group meetings went quite well. There was open, in-depth conversations and upon leaving I felt confident in my chances. Unfortunately, that's where any pretense of professionalism ended. I was not contacted by either the Director or the Recruiter after my visit. I reached out two weeks later to inquire in to my status and reiterate my interest in the role. I was told that the team was impressed and excited about my candidacy, and that I would be contacted by a Recruiter within the week for a 2nd round of in-person interviews. Nope. I never heard from KQED again. Two weeks after that, I called both the Recruiter and Director and left voicemails asking for yet another status update. I worried that I was being a nagging interviewee, but it was important for me to know my status so I could plan for other opportunities accordingly. I had actually turned down another great offer just on the potential of getting this position! (KQED knew that, too). In my various emails, phone calls and in-person interactions with KQED - I talked to at least 3 different members of the Recruiting team...yet not one of them could devote 1 minute of their time to send an email informing of their passing on me for the position? In this day and age of "always-on" communication channels - that is simply unacceptable. Further, it is a profound display of disrespect at a fundamental human level. Is it not incumbent upon a Recruiting team to handle both the positive and negative in hiring??? Is this how you, as an applicant, would want to be treated? Do unto others, and all that... Yes, I took this as a personal slight. But, further than that and more importantly, I am writing this review so that KQED Recruiting may read this and take a hard look at self-improvement. My hope is that other candidates do not have to go through the same experience. As I said earlier, and to the KQED team, this opportunity was once-in-a-lifetime for me. I was heartbroken not that I didn't get the position, there may always be more suitable candidates...but that I didn't even get a simple "thanks, but no". KQED - please spare future candidates and take the time to perform all the duties that a Recruiting team is responsible for. Good luck to everyone who applies to a job at KQED - I hope your experience is more positive than mine.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with the KQED mobile app and how would you improve it if you were the Product Owner?   Answer Question

Development Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at KQED (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

I did a phone interview with the position's supervisor (around 30 minutes), and then was invited into the office for a panel interview (around 3 hours). After that, I had a second phone interview with another person from the department. Directly before this, KQED asked me for permission to perform a thorough background check. As they had mentioned they would only be doing background checks on the final candidates for the job, I knew I was being seriously considered. After all of this, I heard nothing back from them, despite emailing for an update and to ask if any other information was needed. Eventually, around 2 weeks after the last communication with them, I called HR to inquire on the status of the position. I was told they had hired someone else. I was very surprised not to have been informed at all, particularly since I had clearly been in the final few candidates. I was incredibly shocked that they were not going to let me know at all about their hiring decision, particularly given how extensive the entire process was.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too surprising - most questions were very straightforward and directly related to my resume.   Answer Question

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at KQED (San Francisco, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

After conversing for several months via email I was given a phone interview and then an in office interview. The interview was very laid back and comfortable. I was interviewed in he lobby and then I was given a tour of the office and introduced to multiple other employees. They were very friendly, informative and encouraging throughout the whole process. They also appeared to have a very positive company culture.

Interview Questions

• What is a weakness that you have turned into a strength?   Answer Question
    • How do you feel public broadcasting needs to differentiate itself from the studio system?   Answer Question

I really like KQED and suspect I would have learned a lot. However I was offered another position at a company I felt was more in line with my career interests.

Productions Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at KQED in June 2010.

Interview

Applied online through their website. It took a while for them to initiate contact and receive my resume but once they did, I exchanged a few emails with them and had a phone interview - discussed what I was interested in, previous experience, typical interview questions. The lady interviewing me was extremely friendly and nice.