Kabam

Kabam Interview Questions

Updated Dec 8, 2014
Updated Dec 8, 2014

N/A Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Kabam.

Interview was unorganized and timely. Process began with a phone screen, two in person interviews where they were scrambling to find the appropriate personnel only to wait a couple more weeks in order to hear back. I had to touch base twice to get an update after a week the recruiter promised for a decision.

Senior Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Kabam in November 2014.

My interview process with Kabam had plain and simply nothing to do with anything else I've ever experienced interviewing in the games industry. The norm everywhere else seems to be to basically test applicant's patience by dragging the process over as long a period as possible, delay email response to the most basic questions for days or weeks and never, ever give feedback.

With Kabam, the whole process, from initial contact to actual offer, was through in barely over a week. I can't confirm that this is how things always go here, but that was my personal experience and it was GREAT! People I've met were very friendly, and while they asked insightful questions, they weren't standoffish or aggressive in any way. Overall, this was one of (if not the) smoothest interview process I've ever been through in my entire 15 years in the industry.

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall any particularly unexpected question. The talk was mainly focused on my past experiences and on what I was hoping to accomplish in the future.   View Answer
    I didn't feel the need to negotiate as the initial offer was very good in itself. Salary-wise it was definitely an upgrade from my previous job, and the generous benefits they offer only made it better.

Game Master Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Kabam in October 2014.

Process began with a simple phone screening, followed by an actual phone interview a few days later (I was not a local applicant and so the first actual interview was done over the phone). After the phone interview I was given a case study to work on which took about a week and a half to complete. I was then brought in to the SF office to present my case study and for a final round of interviews. Received an offer about a week after the final interviews.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions really caught me off guard, as they were very appropriate to the position. The most difficult aspect of the interview process was the case study (as would be expected), which took me the entire week and a half to complete.   Answer Question
    Original offer was very generous, though I always attempt to negotiate regardless. Unfortunately Kabam was unable to budge on their original offer.

However, because the offer was better than I had expected it to be, I happily accepted the offer regardless.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Kabam in September 2014.

I met the Platform team in a career fair in SF. The HR mailed me shortly after the career fair and wanted to setup a phone interview. I had one phone interview before I was invited for a onsite which was a 4 round 2 person interview. The questions were very interesting and fun.

Interview Questions
    • Open ended Scalable/Distributed systems questions were pretty challenging   View Answer
    Negotiation was not as good as i wanted to be. But I was already offered a good package and stock options and I took it.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Kabam in August 2014.

First of all, I enjoy interviewing.
    My contacts prior to the interview were quick and friendly, increasing my interest in this as a friendly place to be.
    The interviews were great: no one insulted my intelligence nor assume that I knew everything. The tech questions were good evaluation tools, getting successively more challenging. The people with whom I talked were uniformly open and straightforward, honestly responding to questions about what is the best and worst thing about working at Kabam.

Interview Questions
    • I apologize. I was doing a lot of interviewing at the same time, so some things get mushed together in my head. The most challenging was the Unity project to create MicroChess. It was also thoroughly enjoyable to me.   View Answer
    The negotiations were done through a recruiter, so I was isolated from them. However, they must have gone well because the offer came to me very quickly after interviewing.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kabam in August 2014.

Very efficient and professional from first contact through phone screen, onsite, offer and onboarding. The process was quite expedited as well, which made it even more impressive.

I had an offer from a competitor that they matched so was pretty simple

Senior Flash Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Kabam in August 2014.

I spoke with the Kabam recruiter who put me in touch with someone on the team who gave me a 20 minute phone screen. They followed up to schedule an interview. The on-site interview lasted a few hours. I spoke with 8 or 10 different folks, mostly engineers. There were lots of technical questions, writing code on the blackboard, etc. Everyone was friendly.

They made me an offer that was slightly better than the package I had at my last job. I took a few days to think about it and accepted the offer.

Director of Project Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Kabam in August 2014.

The interview process was really efficient. Phone interviews were short and to the point. On-site, I was able to meet all required people in one day, actually in one morning. It was also organized well and I felt really welcome during the on-site interview. When I signed in, the lady at the front desk knew who I was and why I was coming in. They had a file folder ready with a detailed interview schedule, Kabam notebook and pen. They looked prepared and that felt good. Email follow up after each round were also prompt and to the point.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Kabam in July 2014.

Applied for backend - php Telephone interview was okay, simple questions about PHP, regarding get/post, and database design. Gave some scenario on when to use 1ton and n to n relationship questions. Asked some questions on data structures - binary trees, bfs, dfs - basic questions, and usage, not coding, thread synchronization (basics).

Certification Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kabam in June 2014.

I was fortunute to get an email response short after (about a week) applying to the position. 1st step was a phone interview which was a lot of fun. The interviewer clearly explained the job responsibilities and asked brief questions about my past experiences. The next step was to complete a language test that involved working on an Excel document (exciting assignment where you will get to see some of the Kabam game content). I was invited for an on site interview couple days after the phone interview. The office felt like a tech startup with a modern twist (clean and organized work environment & friendly employees). The interviewers were funny and positive throughout the process. It felt more like a conversation than an interview and they made me feel welcome. The questions were general and they mostly tried to understand how my past experiences could relate to the position. The Director was also very friendly and she was down to earth. It was a pleasure meeting with everyone. Every interviewer had great things to say about each other which shows how respectful the work environment is. Overall it was one of the best interview experiences I had.