Kabam Interview Questions

Updated Aug 6, 2015

Customer Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Kabam (Austin, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview was held more like a meet and greet session. It was actually called an Information Session and I was not aware it was an interview, and thus, didn't feel like I prepared adequately. I came in and sat down and had a few casual conversations with current employees and supervisors in the office and then there was a presentation that went over the job and what to expect being employed by Kabam, salary, perks, etc. After the presentation there was a break and then breaking off into smaller discussion groups. I left during the break because the salary was not what I was looking for. They were very respectful of this which I really appreciated since I am not somewhere in my career to take a salary cut.

Interview Questions

• I left before the real questions and discussions took place. However, I feel that it would have been important to brush up on my "gaming" knowledge since I am not really a gamer as I felt a little out of the loop during the casual conversation beginning of the session.   Answer Question

Player Experience Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Kabam (Austin, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

Kabam held a information sessions for a large group of applicants. During this session, we learned details of employment, culture, pay, and benefits. We go a chance to meet current leads and managers. Afterwards, we broke up into smaller groups to discuss ourselves and attitudes towards work related issues. Then from there, I was asked to write an essay about customer service. Then finally I had a formal, but quick interview with the site manager and a lead.

Interview Questions

• During the interview process, they asked a lot of questions that would have helped them gauge your personality. So it helped to be outgoing.   1 Answer

Director of Technical Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kabam (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Early exploratory interviews with groups of people led onto a number of 1on1 interviews that all happened during a visit to the office. The interview process was smooth and efficient. Everyone was friendly and professional. I felt valued throughout the process and the talent team were only to happy to answer any questions I had.

Interview Questions

• Please detail any experiences that you have had managing someone out of an organization.   Answer Question

Social Media Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kabam (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Kabam was first rate. I let my contact know I was interested in the position and the very next day I got a call from someone in recruiting who scheduled me to fly up from LA to SF within a matter of 30 minutes and even reimbursed for transit to and from the airport. It was a five hour interview process meeting with six different members of the team. I was very impressed with the office, benefits, and perks like catered daily lunches and fully paid benefits.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kabam (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

2 onsite interviews were held. Each consisted of one hr each. Asked to solve one white board programming question per interview. 1. Given two strings, check if they’re anagrams or not. 2. First explain what a tree, then binary tree, then a binary search tree is. Now implement a function that verifies whether a binary tree is a valid binary search tree

Interview Questions

• 1. Given two strings, check if they’re anagrams or not. 2. First explain what a tree, then binary tree, then a binary search tree is. Now implement a function that verifies whether a binary tree is a valid binary search tree   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Kabam.

Interview

The recruiters that I talked to were extremely friendly and helpful. They guide you through the process and are quick to respond to any questions. They also do a great job keeping you in the loop as far as the time table and job expectations.

Unity3D Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Kabam.

Interview

I found the Unity3D Developer Kabam through their jobs site, and applied directly to them. I received an email back within two days to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview began on-time, and the person interviewing me was the hiring manager. He asked a range of high-level C# programming questions (what is a virtual function, what happens under the hood when a virtual function is called, when would you use an interface instead of an abstract class, checking knowledge of design patterns, etc.). We seemed to connect on a human level, as well as a profession level. A few days later, I received an email asking for me to complete a programming assignment. I was asked to create a specialized chess game with some specific game-logic and initialization constraints. It wasn't overly challenging, and fun to do. A few days after I turned it in, I was asked to fly to SF for an on-site interview. It was grueling, but everyone was super-positive, and accommodated the fact that I was jet-lagged. The types of questions they asked were clearly targeted towards the job I'd be doing (developing Unity3D games), and there were no "how would you move a mountain 2 feet to the left" kinds of questions. My favorite part of the interview was with the first guys I met. They had me design an isometric tower defense game for a mobile device, and walk them through how I would do it. They called me on a couple of choices I made that were clearly weak, and they gave me a chance to adjust, and I did. At the end of it, I had 2 whiteboads filled with drawings, pseudo-code, and a game object hierarchy. That was a lot of fun. Overall, this is one of the best interview processes I've been through. I was disappointed that I didn't get the job, but I had a great experience with these guys. I hope to cross paths with them again in the future.

Interview Questions

• If a sword were lying flat on the ground in any orientation relative to the play, how would get the player-character to pick up the sword by its hilt?   Answer Question

Vice President Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Kabam (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Brought in by a recruiter under the guise of another role (unknown to me). Met with COO at the time, head of marketing and others. Had to prepare a case presentation. Smart team, open work space, but unsure how to use my skills and experience in MMO space. Was re-contacted 18 months later for another VP role which I declined.

Customer Support Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Kabam (San Francisco, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Sadly I have to rate the interview process as poor: it was both adversarial and a sloppy. Kabam is a young company and it shows in their hiring processes. I originally submitted via my professional network, but failed to speak live with my contact (friend of a friend) after multiple attempts (he was willing, but too busy). After a month I heard back from HR and had a phone screen (which was fine). I then quickly spoke with the hiring manager, who was great on the phone and a real draw. It then took almost a full month to get interviews set up. This amounted to a series of 1:1 meetings, and then a presentation based on case study. (note that the case study was a week-long effort, not trivial.) The 1:1's went fine, but during the presentation the hiring manager's manager took over most of the interaction, and seemed to want to keep me on my heels. I expect probing questions, and am actually disappointed if I don't get at least a zinger or two; in this case the aggressive, unpleasant approach made me repeatedly think "why would I want to work in this person's organization?" The final step was a Skype interview with one more individual who was not able to make the in person session. She was a no-show on the first scheduled slot. Two days later we spoke. Overall, if I had received an offer I would not have accepted based on the combative tone set by the group head.

Interview Questions

• Create an implementation plan for an internal tool roll-out.   Answer Question

N/A Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Kabam.

Interview

Interview was unorganized and timely. Process began with a phone screen, two in person interviews where they were scrambling to find the appropriate personnel only to wait a couple more weeks in order to hear back. I had to touch base twice to get an update after a week the recruiter promised for a decision.