Kaiser Aluminum Interview Questions

Updated Apr 3, 2015

3.2

Metallurgical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Kaiser Aluminum in March 2015.

Interview

Met with 2 conference rooms of 4-5 people who mostly asked me about my methods of solving problems. Was ask about what I enjoy and don't enjoy of my current position. Met briefly with the plant manager and had a plant tour.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you made a poor decision and how you reacted to it.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Kaiser Aluminum.

Interview

Phone screening first to get a feel of who you are and why Kaiser, etc.
    Then second or necessary phone interview on technical knowledge and background.
    Successful candidate invited to a plant interview (Kaiser corporate office is small, most face to face interviews are at the plants).
    Interview structure is in the form of STAR(Situation, Task, Action, Result).

Interview Questions

• You are struggling on this case, you have a problem or disaggrement then what would you do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not on salary, but easily approachable and flexible on everything else to negotiate.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Kaiser Aluminum in November 2011.

Interview

Initial interview by phone and then week or so later, interview scheduled at facility. The interview at the facility was an all-day, behavior-based style interview with several different people mostly 1-on-1. There were two subsequent phone interviews after the facility interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you made a recommendation and it ended up not resulting in a positive outcome. What would you do differently next time.   Answer Question

My personal relocation risk intolerance prevented me from taking a job that only offered a marginal salary improvement over current.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Kaiser Aluminum (Spokane, WA) in February 2010.

Interview

Interview on the phone was mostly technical; pretty detailed but also kind of a Shotgun approach....ie it cover every area you could possibly be exposed to; so no one knows everything.
    The in person interview is the S.T.A.R. approach: Situation/Task, Action and Results; so they give you situations and or ask you for examples of situations from your background...and you respond with how you would / did handle the situation.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult technical problem, and how you solved the problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much negotation on salary....but it is pretty easy to negotiate every thing else.

Maintenance Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Kaiser Aluminum (Spokane, WA) in June 2007.

Interview

HR handled scheduling the flight, hotel, and rental car for me. Flew in on a Thursday, interviewed Friday, flew back Saturday. Met with HR in the morning and filled out applications. Followed that with a short tour of the mill and then settled in to a room inside the bowels for the interviews. Interviewed with 5-6 managers, most of whom ended up not being in my chain of command.