Kaiser Permanente

419 candidate interviews

Senior Market Planner Interview

Senior Market Planner
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in March 2011.

Interview Details – The best part of the process was the Portland HR office contacted me very quickly due to my resume after applying for the position. The one-on-one phone interview with one of the hiring managers went OK, but he seemed somewhat arrogant and quickly judgmental.

Unfortunately the Director of Marketing at Kaiser's Portland office is extremely picky about the candidates she hires. The panel interview consisted of 4 people: the Director of Marketing, a professional interviewer with psychology credentials, an existing Senior Market Planner, and someone from Sales. They seemed easy going at first, but it's clear they're ruthless and extremely arrogant in looking for a candidate. They like people who act and think like the traditional MBA candidate; they're definitely not innovative thinkers. Their ethical values are probably murky - the Direct of Marketing used to work at Arthur Anderson in Texas. The level of arrogance on the panel was incredibly high. They also administered 2 tests: one aimed at competitive intelligence and one aimed at market planning with unrealistic 10 minute time limits for both.

Interview Questions

• Providence is gaining a competitive advantage in our market. How would you design a competitive intelligence program to monitor and analyze this threat?   Answer Question
  • Outline a plan to increase marketshare for Kaiser in a specific market from 15% to 18%.   Answer Question

Registered Nurse Interview

Registered Nurse
Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente.

Interview Details – Website for job application is a nightmare. that is the only way to get a foot in the door. Networking does not seem to help. HR generally is slow to respond.

Interview Question – Tell me what you would do if you heard a rumor about someone and then you had to work with them. Would you assume it to be true or get to know the person first.   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – used a headhunter and there was not much negotiation.

Registered Nurse Interview

Registered Nurse

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in April 2010.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with a representative of Kaiser, for a travel RN position in PACU. It was very intense and a lot more difficult than I had anticipated. She asked tons of clinical questions and the interview lasted an hour. I have never been so nervous and intimidated during an interview. If you want to work for Kaiser, you'd better know your stuff!

Interview Question – The interviewer asked me a question about a specific anesthesia drug with which I was not familiar. I just didn't have enough years in PACU to know enough for their requirements, so I didn't get the job.   Answer Question

Technologist Interview

Technologist

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente.

Interview Details – Multiple review process via phone and in-person. Detailed engineering group level review (s) and hiring manager one-on-one. Followed by HR consultant followup

Interview Question – A number of very detailed technical level questions were asked (subject matter specific)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer of pay/benifits was fixed, Negotiated work location and hours.

Cashier/Receptionist Interview

Cashier/Receptionist
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente.

Interview Details – The only way to apply is online now. Look for a job and remember the reference number. If you are selected, they will call you in to test for the job of this specific reference number. Typically, for a cashier/receptionist position, you will take Basic Computer Competency courses, tested on you WPM, and medical terminology. If you pass these test, then you go into the next phase and get an interview. The interview typically has 3 people evaluating and asking questions. This is a conservative company. Refrain from showing tattoos, piercing, and unnatural colored hair. Be friendly and professional. Make sure you know a little bit about the company and the department you applied for. It will help knowing what kind of procedures the department does so you can explain the process to patients. Knowing a little bit of medical background definitely helps, even if this is a desk job.

Interview Question – The hardest questions to answers has to do with customer service. From previous customer service jobs, you learn that "the customer is always right". But that is not the case a hospital because of HIPPA. Learn what HIPPA is and scenarios that directly involve HIPPA. Kaiser Permanente is very strict about following the law. These are not customers but patients who have rights you must protect.   Answer Question

Administrative Specialist III Interview

Administrative Specialist III
Pasadena, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente.

Interview Details – Applied, was called in for testing, then group interview then finally 1 to 1 interview with the legal department. I made it to the final round however the job ended up being canceled. It was extremely disappointing considering all the steps that needed to be taken. I took a lot of time off to go in for everything only for the position to be canceled a few weeks later. It was very disheartening.

Interview Question – While doing monotonous or repetitive work, how do you stay focused and alert?   View Answer

Environmental Services Technician (Housekeeping) Interview

Environmental Services Technician (Housekeeping)

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Kaiser Permanente.

Interview Details – I applied for the position online in September and was called for an October Interview, it was with 3-4 of management team and a 3 part interview. In January after my many calls with a contingent job offer based on drug and background check has taken from Jan-March.

Interview Question – What does the word Team mean to YOU?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It's hard enough to get a job let alone at Kaiser. Get your foot in the door before you start bartering. I took what they offered immediately. it was fair. I will be well paid. was no need to negotiate.

Administrative Specialist II Interview

Administrative Specialist II
Bakersfield, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in August 2010.

Interview Details – Interview took place with a panel of two other candidates and three total interviewers. Awkward and stressful interview that led to one of the other candidates, who worked within the organization, to despise me upon getting the job over him.

Interview Question – How would you handle the schedule when an employee calls out and another employee wants to go home sick?   Answer Question

LVN Interview

LVN
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied over a year ago and got a random call I was told to take an assessment test in which I did exceptionally well. Then I was scheduled for 2 interviews did really good on both got a call with an offer and now im just waiting on grtting drug tested and background.

Interview Question – What makes you the right person for this position. What makes you better than anyone else.   Answer Question

Associate Provider Contract Manager Interview

Associate Provider Contract Manager
Oakland, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in May 2014.

Interview Details – Extensive interview process. Applied in March of 2014 and was offered the job in May - started in June. Simply filled out application online at kaiser career website. I attached a resume and cover letter that was specialized to the job posting. Received an email about a week later at about 6pm on a Sunday, and as I was reading it the HR lady called to let me know she had just emailed me (they wanted a response by the next day). She asked me to fill out a two page questionnaire. Pretty standard - lots of behavioral questions (i.e. Tell us about a time when you had to compromise or work with a difficult employee) and why do you want to work for Kaiser, as well as salary expectations and assurance that commuting would not be an issue. I sent it in that night, and on Tuesday a manager from Kaiser called to request a phone interview. A week later I did an hour long phone interview with the two managers. It was a great interview - they clearly had read my stuff and were contacting me because they thought my experience fit very well. The interview was a nice conversation.
The next day, the manager called back and scheduled my on-site interview with the same two managers as well as the executive director. This took place about a week later. Fairly laid back; good conversation. Discussed what I was looking for in a job and how my experience fit the current job description. Was a nice conversation with occasional requests for examples of when I'd dealt with certain issues.
The next day the manager emailed to schedule a meeting with just me and the vice president. He was on vacation so it was scheduled for nearly 3 weeks out. I went in and he was a lot more difficult - not as open or friendly. He seemed to be frustrated with work and employees, but had lots of work to do. He did most of the talking. I tried to chirp in to explain how I could rectify the issues he complained about, but it was difficult.
I sent thank you cards to all involved in in-person interviews. A week later when I hadn't heard anything I emailed the manager to request a status, and she said that HR would be contacting me soon to inform me of their decision. This was on a Friday. The next Thursday HR called to offer the job. On the phone they told me pay and basic employment package to make sure I would accept, and they offered more than I requested so I accepted, and then they informed me of next steps. Their hiring process is pretty difficult. I had to do a drug test within 48 hours and then submit an application for a background check - which is thoroughly checked out. They called everyone - including the job I worked for for 3 weeks in college. Then they asked for 5 year old W9 tax forms. They are definitely not messing around with background check so make sure all of your stuff is in order and correct - Kaiser HR was quick to inform me that if anything could not be verified the job offer would be rescinded.
Thankfully after a week the background check went through and I started getting my next steps packet for first day orientation and all that! As I said, extensive process but never terribly difficult - it all felt pretty natural and well set up. Lots of behavioral questions and seeing how your experience applies to specific job.

Interview Question – How do you deal with difficult or stressful situations and/or coworkers?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – HR called and told me the offer and asked if it was something I would accept. They offered more than I requested so I accepted without negotiating.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Kaiser Permanente

Worked for Kaiser Permanente? Contribute to the Community!

Kaiser Permanente Videos

Kaiser Permanente – Why Work for Us?

At Kaiser Permanente, we stand for health. Yours. Ours. Everyone’s. That means we advocate the well-being of people and their parts—like hips and hearts, for instance. And to better serve those parts, we study them. In… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kaiser Permanente interview questions and advice. All 419 interview reviews posted anonymously by Kaiser Permanente employees and interview candidates.