Kaiser Permanente

390 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Coordinator Interview

Project Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente.

Interview Details – I submitted an application and did not get a response until almost 2.5months later. I had a phone interview shortly the first contact and an in person 2 weeks later. It was a great experience as the penal was basically talking about the position and what to expect than ask a lot of questions.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions. Pretty general.   Answer Question

Team Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in March 2012.

Interview Details – Kaiser has an extensive process which includes background checks, drug testing and personal interviews with many departments at various levels of the hierarchy. The pre-interview process took over 1 month and the interviews took place over two weeks. Final selection took an additional 1 month.

Candidates should be prepared to present in front of several panels of employees of various departments and answer their questions of the top of your head. Very little preparation can be done for this process since the questions are often not very well organized.

Interview Question – I was asked to answer questions about internal conflicts and politics in the organization and how I would navigate through these issues when executing my job responsibilities.   Answer Question

Director of Finance Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente.

Interview Details – Cumbersome. HR is slow to respond or completely non responsive. As a manager, the hiring tools and HR staff make it difficult for you to review resumes personally except those they pass on, many of which are not ones you would choose for the role and dont fit because humans dont review most of them and good people are screened out by computers,

Interview Question – How would you describe what I do? Not a trick question.   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in February 2011.

Interview Details – My knowledge, personality and hard set skills were thoroughly review both via phone and in person.
I found the people to be extremely bright and to the point.
It seemed they had cohesive teams which gelled very nicely. The words and body language in the room indicated a true team spirit of mutual agreements and shared success together.
The questions showed they authentically understood what they needed and weren't afraid to say 'I don't know' when necessary. Overall, although intimidating, it was great learning experience with incredible people.

Interview Question – I don't remember the exact question but something to the effect of, least favorite thing about last job/boss.   Answer Question

Flex SHIMA Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in February 2014.

Interview Details – After applying at Kaiser and not hearing a single response for nearly 7 years, I finally made it to the next step when I applied for a position in the Mid-Atlantic region. First I was required to take a Medical Terminology test. About two weeks later, I received an email from my potential supervisor for an interview. In all honesty, I felt I bombed the first few questions, but I made sure to speak about good management skills, patient privacy, and learning how to work as a team. I had a panel interview with three people, and in addition to my being nervous, the questions were somewhat difficult. Interview lasted about an hour. Once I returned home, I sent a follow-up letter to the three interviewers, thanking them for their time, and further expressing my interest in the position. About a week and a half later, I was offered the position! They did a background check and of course a drug screening. Once that was completed, the offer became final. Will start soon!

Interview Question – What do you know about Kaiser and our organization?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation necessary, salary was higher than expected.

Practice Leader Consultant Interview

Oakland, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in March 2012.

Interview Details – Internal Transfer. I knew them for years. Finally told them I was interested in joining. First lunch with the hiring director. Then a team interview in person (small team). Than a bizarre written exercise where I tried to respond to a large, unfamiliar problem. Then a follow-up team phone interview. Then HR had to do a screening process (after the interviews!). Then a long delay, a verbal salary offer that had to be corrected (downwards!), and then it all went through.

Interview Question – Write an essay answer to how you would handle getting a large project going without executive sponsorship - regarding a business process I was unfamiliar with.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered me a 10% raise over my current position verbally. I was happy and accepted. After giving me the job, they backtracked and said senior management would approve no raise (this was an internal transfer). The hiring director got high level approval for a 5% raise. I was disappointed, but promised that raises would be higher in the next few years. That has not come true. My advice: get it in writing. This is your base salary we are talking about.

Very Difficult Interview

Environmental Services Technician (Housekeeping) Interview

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Kaiser Permanente.

Interview Details – I applied for the position online in September and was called for an October Interview, it was with 3-4 of management team and a 3 part interview. In January after my many calls with a contingent job offer based on drug and background check has taken from Jan-March.

Interview Question – What does the word Team mean to YOU?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It's hard enough to get a job let alone at Kaiser. Get your foot in the door before you start bartering. I took what they offered immediately. it was fair. I will be well paid. was no need to negotiate.

Human Resources Analyst Interview

Alameda, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente.

Interview Details – Kaiser hires a lot of contractors who may or may not eventually become full time employees. So one important path into Kaiser is to find what staffing firms they are currently using and to get registered with that staffing firm. Also, Kaiser's hiring process is glacial in many cases. Your recruiter may alert you to an opportunity for which you will need to fill out forms and re-write your resume, but it could be MONTHS before you get a response (and they might even LOVE your resume, but just take the typical Kaiser epoch in order to make a decision).

Now, the interviews almost never start with a discussion of your resume and often never even reference you resume. The interviews are a conversation about general experiences. Be ready to tell them a story about a time you had to give someone disappointing news, a time you had to tell someone 'No,' a time in which you had a problem you simply couldn't solve on your own and how you dealt with that challenge.

Interview Question – Tell us how you dealt with negative feedback that you thought was inaccurate.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation as I was hired through a staffing firm who advised what my salary would be before scheduling me for the interview.

Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente.

Interview Details – I was recruited by a recruiter. A team of 5-6 managers interviewed me. They were very friendly and sincere and I could feel their sincere interest. I got the job after that 1 interview, but was told that it was really unusual.

Interview Question – Experience working in a union environment.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – the recruiter was the main contact. the salary was at a lower end, but it matched with my employment history. most people were helpful.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in January 2010.

Interview Details – Was refereed by a former colleague who worked there. He helped me tweak my resume to point out the need of this employer. I can 't emphasize how important it is to modify your resume each time to point out what it is that you can provide them based on their needs and not forward a boiler plate. .He forwarded the resume to his boss. I received a call for an interview. Once I interviewed them, I submit my resume on line officially to HR.. I forwarded a thank you email after the interview which the supervisor graciously responded and said they are still in the process of making a decision. A few weeks later I received a call from HR. The HR person was not very polite. She was so rude and pushy to the point that I considered declining the offer. But my colleague reminded me that I will never see or work with that person because she is in the headquarter. And that was true. 7 years later and I am still at thee company and have never seen that person.

Interview Question – Provide an example of a project or task where you saved money for the client. provide an example and what was your role in the decision.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered me a salary. I counter offered the salary plus asked a signing bonus. Both of which was accepted. However, my salary counter offer was really not that much. It was only 2-3K more per year.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Kaiser Permanente