Kaiser Permanente Interview Questions in Oakland, CA

2.9

67 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Communications Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in June 2013.

Contacted by a Kaiser recruiter for a position within IT. Had two rounds of interviews. The teams didn't seem to know exactly what they needed, and had no clear communications strategy for their project. I had two interviews with two levels of recruiters then was brought in for two rounds of interviews. The first one was with team members. The second was with other team members and the leader of the group .

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a group that has low morale and has undergone a lot of change?   Answer Question

Presentation Designer (Specialist) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente.

For the most part, the interviewing process was good. Kaiser is a very large organization, and some of that bureaucracy shows up in the interviewing process. I imagine it would be great company to work for though. Phone interview was great. In person interview was fine for the most part. Follow up skills test was fine as well. However, the follow-up communications regarding next steps after that could have been better.

Interview Questions
    • To paraphrase: "Tell me about a time when things did not work with a job/project as you had planned."   Answer Question

Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in November 2010.

Very Long and drawn out process. Took a couple weeks to complete the screening process. Questionnaires also several interviews on different dates. But it was all worth it in the end. After being hired there are several mandatory trainings that need to be completed before your first 30 days.

Interview Questions
    Received a phone call with a very generous offer.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente.

1-hour phone interview and then an invitation to an all-day interview in-person. 1) I met with the Director, 2) had several individual interviews with research scientists, 3) was taken out to lunch; 4) gave a 1-hour research presentation; 5) followed by more individual interviews with research scientists.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was so long along that I can't recall the exact questions that were asked...only the context. I was asked technical questions about my research during my presentation. I was challenged on my methodology such as study design (recruitmemnt, data collection) and implications of findings. The grilling was similar to what you would expect from a journal reviewer.   Answer Question

Business Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in August 2011.

I was recruited internally after a layoff, by a recruiter who worked with me on hiring on the past. I had reached out to her when I was laid off. I had 2 interviews, was rehired and all my benefits and tenure was bridged.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked about my previous boss, who was difficult to work for and was laid off when I was, so best answer was to be neutral   View Answer
    No wiggle room but salary was fair for the position

Associate Provider Contract Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in May 2014.

Extensive interview process. Applied in March of 2014 and was offered the job in May - started in June. Simply filled out application online at kaiser career website. I attached a resume and cover letter that was specialized to the job posting. Received an email about a week later at about 6pm on a Sunday, and as I was reading it the HR lady called to let me know she had just emailed me (they wanted a response by the next day). She asked me to fill out a two page questionnaire. Pretty standard - lots of behavioral questions (i.e. Tell us about a time when you had to compromise or work with a difficult employee) and why do you want to work for Kaiser, as well as salary expectations and assurance that commuting would not be an issue. I sent it in that night, and on Tuesday a manager from Kaiser called to request a phone interview. A week later I did an hour long phone interview with the two managers. It was a great interview - they clearly had read my stuff and were contacting me because they thought my experience fit very well. The interview was a nice conversation.
    The next day, the manager called back and scheduled my on-site interview with the same two managers as well as the executive director. This took place about a week later. Fairly laid back; good conversation. Discussed what I was looking for in a job and how my experience fit the current job description. Was a nice conversation with occasional requests for examples of when I'd dealt with certain issues.
    The next day the manager emailed to schedule a meeting with just me and the vice president. He was on vacation so it was scheduled for nearly 3 weeks out. I went in and he was a lot more difficult - not as open or friendly. He seemed to be frustrated with work and employees, but had lots of work to do. He did most of the talking. I tried to chirp in to explain how I could rectify the issues he complained about, but it was difficult.
    I sent thank you cards to all involved in in-person interviews. A week later when I hadn't heard anything I emailed the manager to request a status, and she said that HR would be contacting me soon to inform me of their decision. This was on a Friday. The next Thursday HR called to offer the job. On the phone they told me pay and basic employment package to make sure I would accept, and they offered more than I requested so I accepted, and then they informed me of next steps. Their hiring process is pretty difficult. I had to do a drug test within 48 hours and then submit an application for a background check - which is thoroughly checked out. They called everyone - including the job I worked for for 3 weeks in college. Then they asked for 5 year old W9 tax forms. They are definitely not messing around with background check so make sure all of your stuff is in order and correct - Kaiser HR was quick to inform me that if anything could not be verified the job offer would be rescinded.
    Thankfully after a week the background check went through and I started getting my next steps packet for first day orientation and all that! As I said, extensive process but never terribly difficult - it all felt pretty natural and well set up. Lots of behavioral questions and seeing how your experience applies to specific job.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with difficult or stressful situations and/or coworkers?   View Answer
    HR called and told me the offer and asked if it was something I would accept. They offered more than I requested so I accepted without negotiating.

Business Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in July 2013.

Contacted on linked in, responded, was called within a few days. Phone interview with the recruiter and the hiring director. Panel interview with peer senior managers.

Interview Questions
    • None - it was all about my experience. Some questions on how to handle conflict between business needs and IT restrictions.   Answer Question
    I actually declined the offer and was called back and given a higher offer, which I accepted.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in January 2010.

Kaiser Permanente's interview process can be lengthy. For me, it began with a screening interview by an assigned HR recruiter. The questions asked in the screening interview are straightforward. It's easy to tell that these are the questions the hiring manager provided to the recruiter. Once past the screening interview, I met with the hiring manager. I was then invited back for a second round interview with members of the team and also internal business partners. There were about 4 in total. Start to finish, the interview process took several weeks. Once Kaiser gave me an offer, there was another two weeks during which they conducted a very thorough background check. I also had to submit to a drug test.

Interview Questions
    • Describe in detail a successful project you designed and managed. How did you measure success?   View Answer

Practice Leader Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in March 2012.

Internal Transfer. I knew them for years. Finally told them I was interested in joining. First lunch with the hiring director. Then a team interview in person (small team). Than a bizarre written exercise where I tried to respond to a large, unfamiliar problem. Then a follow-up team phone interview. Then HR had to do a screening process (after the interviews!). Then a long delay, a verbal salary offer that had to be corrected (downwards!), and then it all went through.

Interview Questions
    • Write an essay answer to how you would handle getting a large project going without executive sponsorship - regarding a business process I was unfamiliar with.   Answer Question
    They offered me a 10% raise over my current position verbally. I was happy and accepted. After giving me the job, they backtracked and said senior management would approve no raise (this was an internal transfer). The hiring director got high level approval for a 5% raise. I was disappointed, but promised that raises would be higher in the next few years. That has not come true. My advice: get it in writing. This is your base salary we are talking about.

Applications Development Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in March 2010.

Found initial gig on Craigslist. Came in as a contract-to-hire. 2 interviews. It would have been nice if it had gone quicker.

Interview Questions

Worked for Kaiser Permanente? Contribute to the Community!