Kaiser Permanente

Relevance Date Difficulty

IRB Coordinator Interview

IRB Coordinator
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in August 2009.

Interview Details – Communication was great from the beginning. I was able to contact the hiring manager immediately and so was able to present my information effectively in addition to navigating the HR job portal. There was an initial phone interview and I was flown in from out of state for the interview.

Interview Question – The posting was somewhat broad: However, they were looking for someone with the ability to manage workflows, smart forms, and other specifications for an electronic system which was under development. The project manager was very pointed in her questions about whether I would be able to undertake the duties.   View Answer

Administrative Intern Interview

Administrative Intern
Portland, OR

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente.

Interview Details – Involved a distance phone call. The process was minimal and yet rigorous. Required thinking on feet during case study.

Interview Question – There were not any questions that were particularly difficult. There was a case study but it should not be difficult if you have MHA training.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had another opportunity available closer to family.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente.

Interview Details – I was interviewed for one position with the supervisor and director. I then was called back in for another position with the supervisor, director, and 2 co-workers. They all had questions for me, related to the current position and my past positions. Very friendly and informed.

Interview Question – Please discuss any negative experience with a past co-worker and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was able to negotiate an additional $3000.

Senior IT Project Manager Interview

Senior IT Project Manager
Portland, OR

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in January 2013.

Interview Details – From time of application to interview it was a month and a couple of weeks. Interviewers asked basic behavioral questions. Job description was not conducive to the work they expected the PM to perform. They wanted a business analyst, not a Sr. PM responsible for ICD-10 end to end testing. From the time of application to 1st day of work it was almost 2 months as they have a minimum of 3 weeks for on-boarding new folks.

Interview Question – Standard behavioral type questions. "Tell me about a time you were unsuccessful and what you did to rectify the situation."   Answer Question

Medical Transcription and Laboratory Technician III Interview

Medical Transcription and Laboratory Technician III
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in November 2010.

Interview Details – Three separate interviews. One with supervisor alone, one with supervisor and one lead worker from your possible work team and another one with full staff of your possible work team.

Interview Questions

• Give me one example from your past employment history where unusual events created interpersonal conflict and/or impaired customer service (i.e. patient and/or physician), including how you solved these multiple problems, and what was the final outcome.   View Answers (3)
  • When you receive a valve of blood in the laboratory, what is the first thing you think of?   View Answer
  • Who is your customer in this particular position, provided you are accepted for the job?   View Answer
  • You arrive to work at the start of your shift and notice work area has bodily fluids and small amounts of blood splatter; what do you do first?   View Answer
  • Patient bodily fluid/blood specimen is received without legible identification; what do you do next?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Presented my past experience as evidence for higher pay on their fixed scale. Brought my academic records to interview and presented to hiring manager as evidence for even higher compensation. This was a successful strategy for me with this particular healthcare company.

Programmer Analyst Interview

Programmer Analyst
Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in May 2012.

Interview Details – A phone interview, drug test and background review

Interview Question – What is syntax for case in pl/sql   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – Good

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Market Planner Interview

Senior Market Planner
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in March 2011.

Interview Details – The best part of the process was the Portland HR office contacted me very quickly due to my resume after applying for the position. The one-on-one phone interview with one of the hiring managers went OK, but he seemed somewhat arrogant and quickly judgmental.

Unfortunately the Director of Marketing at Kaiser's Portland office is extremely picky about the candidates she hires. The panel interview consisted of 4 people: the Director of Marketing, a professional interviewer with psychology credentials, an existing Senior Market Planner, and someone from Sales. They seemed easy going at first, but it's clear they're ruthless and extremely arrogant in looking for a candidate. They like people who act and think like the traditional MBA candidate; they're definitely not innovative thinkers. Their ethical values are probably murky - the Direct of Marketing used to work at Arthur Anderson in Texas. The level of arrogance on the panel was incredibly high. They also administered 2 tests: one aimed at competitive intelligence and one aimed at market planning with unrealistic 10 minute time limits for both.

Interview Questions

• Providence is gaining a competitive advantage in our market. How would you design a competitive intelligence program to monitor and analyze this threat?   Answer Question
  • Outline a plan to increase marketshare for Kaiser in a specific market from 15% to 18%.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in February 2010.

Interview Details – You don't hear form weeks after you apply. Phone interviews can be with HR or hiring manager.
Be prepared for the slow culture, the pecking order, and everything is done by committee and not getting anything done.

Interview Question – What does the department do and how would you contribute to it.   View Answer

Registered Outpatient Nurse Interview

Registered Outpatient Nurse
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Kaiser Permanente in April 2009.

Interview Details – The initial interview phase included a patient care manager and two registered team leader nurses who had almost 40 years combined experience. The atmosphere was very professional, but not intimidating. I was really happy to see how they valued their nursing staff's opinions and included them int he interview process. The questions were inclusive of the standard questions ie: Why did you leave your last position? What are your strengths? Weaknesses? What did you dislike or like most of the last job you had? Tell us a positive and a negative experience related to________ (in my case it was an experience where you needed to advocate for the patient) and what was the outcome of both cases? Tell us a verbal history of the jobs you had in the past. The one question that caught me off guard a little was : We can see you have a very long list of skill sets, tell us what TALENTS you have. Some basic personality questions and scenarios.
Overall, very professional, though relaxed and smoothly managed. I enjoyed that interview which is rare !!

Negotiation Details – completed second interview but negotiation was not included at that point.

Worked for Kaiser Permanente? Contribute to the Community!