Kaiser Permanente Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

111 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Union City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Union City, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kaiser Permanente.

Interviewed by a panel of physicians and managers. Questions on how I would deal with unruly patients, how I would handle some one who fell. Must apply online first . I was able yo transfer from another department which helped.

Interview Questions
    Salary based on experience.

Presentation Designer (Specialist) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Kaiser Permanente.

For the most part, the interviewing process was good. Kaiser is a very large organization, and some of that bureaucracy shows up in the interviewing process. I imagine it would be great company to work for though. Phone interview was great. In person interview was fine for the most part. Follow up skills test was fine as well. However, the follow-up communications regarding next steps after that could have been better.

Interview Questions
    • To paraphrase: "Tell me about a time when things did not work with a job/project as you had planned."   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Kaiser Permanente.

1-hour phone interview and then an invitation to an all-day interview in-person. 1) I met with the Director, 2) had several individual interviews with research scientists, 3) was taken out to lunch; 4) gave a 1-hour research presentation; 5) followed by more individual interviews with research scientists.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was so long along that I can't recall the exact questions that were asked...only the context. I was asked technical questions about my research during my presentation. I was challenged on my methodology such as study design (recruitmemnt, data collection) and implications of findings. The grilling was similar to what you would expect from a journal reviewer.   Answer Question

Associate Provider Contract Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Kaiser Permanente in May 2014.

Extensive interview process. Applied in March of 2014 and was offered the job in May - started in June. Simply filled out application online at kaiser career website. I attached a resume and cover letter that was specialized to the job posting. Received an email about a week later at about 6pm on a Sunday, and as I was reading it the HR lady called to let me know she had just emailed me (they wanted a response by the next day). She asked me to fill out a two page questionnaire. Pretty standard - lots of behavioral questions (i.e. Tell us about a time when you had to compromise or work with a difficult employee) and why do you want to work for Kaiser, as well as salary expectations and assurance that commuting would not be an issue. I sent it in that night, and on Tuesday a manager from Kaiser called to request a phone interview. A week later I did an hour long phone interview with the two managers. It was a great interview - they clearly had read my stuff and were contacting me because they thought my experience fit very well. The interview was a nice conversation.
    The next day, the manager called back and scheduled my on-site interview with the same two managers as well as the executive director. This took place about a week later. Fairly laid back; good conversation. Discussed what I was looking for in a job and how my experience fit the current job description. Was a nice conversation with occasional requests for examples of when I'd dealt with certain issues.
    The next day the manager emailed to schedule a meeting with just me and the vice president. He was on vacation so it was scheduled for nearly 3 weeks out. I went in and he was a lot more difficult - not as open or friendly. He seemed to be frustrated with work and employees, but had lots of work to do. He did most of the talking. I tried to chirp in to explain how I could rectify the issues he complained about, but it was difficult.
    I sent thank you cards to all involved in in-person interviews. A week later when I hadn't heard anything I emailed the manager to request a status, and she said that HR would be contacting me soon to inform me of their decision. This was on a Friday. The next Thursday HR called to offer the job. On the phone they told me pay and basic employment package to make sure I would accept, and they offered more than I requested so I accepted, and then they informed me of next steps. Their hiring process is pretty difficult. I had to do a drug test within 48 hours and then submit an application for a background check - which is thoroughly checked out. They called everyone - including the job I worked for for 3 weeks in college. Then they asked for 5 year old W9 tax forms. They are definitely not messing around with background check so make sure all of your stuff is in order and correct - Kaiser HR was quick to inform me that if anything could not be verified the job offer would be rescinded.
    Thankfully after a week the background check went through and I started getting my next steps packet for first day orientation and all that! As I said, extensive process but never terribly difficult - it all felt pretty natural and well set up. Lots of behavioral questions and seeing how your experience applies to specific job.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with difficult or stressful situations and/or coworkers?   View Answer
    HR called and told me the offer and asked if it was something I would accept. They offered more than I requested so I accepted without negotiating.

Human Resources Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alameda, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alameda, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Kaiser Permanente.

Kaiser hires a lot of contractors who may or may not eventually become full time employees. So one important path into Kaiser is to find what staffing firms they are currently using and to get registered with that staffing firm. Also, Kaiser's hiring process is glacial in many cases. Your recruiter may alert you to an opportunity for which you will need to fill out forms and re-write your resume, but it could be MONTHS before you get a response (and they might even LOVE your resume, but just take the typical Kaiser epoch in order to make a decision).

Now, the interviews almost never start with a discussion of your resume and often never even reference you resume. The interviews are a conversation about general experiences. Be ready to tell them a story about a time you had to give someone disappointing news, a time you had to tell someone 'No,' a time in which you had a problem you simply couldn't solve on your own and how you dealt with that challenge.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us how you dealt with negative feedback that you thought was inaccurate.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation as I was hired through a staffing firm who advised what my salary would be before scheduling me for the interview.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Kaiser Permanente in March 2014.

I recieved a call for a short phone interview. SHortly after I recieved a call for in person interview. I beleive It went good but I do believe I need to practice not being so nerves. They said they would call in 2 weeks after they interview a couple of more canidates.

Interview Questions
    • What software are you more familar with other than what you listed on your reseme   Answer Question

Nurse Practitioner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Varies with the hiring source. Probably the application process, review, initial selection, telephone interview, selected for face-face or panel interview, final selection, and hire.

Interview Questions
    Yes, and it was a win-win

Department Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Kaiser Permanente.

Panel interviews and two interviews if they are interested

Conciege Health Plan Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Kaiser Permanente.

Relatively long hiring process. Recruiter phone screening, online assessment test, in person group interview and one-on-one traditional behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about yourself" in only 2-3 minutes to include what you know about the role and Kaiser, your background and why you would be a good fit.   View Answer
    No negotiation process

Strategic Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Kaiser Permanente.

Good process and thoughtful thinking goes into each position

Interview Questions
    No negotiation... they met my expectations