Kaplan Higher Education

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Instructor Interview

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Kaplan Higher Education in March 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process involved doing a "mock teach" where I was expected to teach on a subject of my choosing for 20 minutes. The "students" were other employees who were available to sit in on the process. They were courteous and attentive. Because of the amount of prior experience that I had, the interview process was not very extensive.

Interview Question – What would you do if a student asked you how to do something that was not ethical?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was asked what I expected for salary, and was told that there were specific pay rates depending on experience.

Instructional Designer Interview

Instructional Designer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Kaplan Higher Education in February 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process was quite lengthy, but they went through an organizational change which caused a delay. I had 4 separate interviews, the last of which was a group interview with approximately 12-15 people. I had to show work samples from various companies.

Interview Question – How long does it take to create an online course?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't really one. The number they offered was not negotiable. There was also no negotiation for time off/benefits.

Very Easy Interview

Security Manager Interview

Security Manager
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Kaplan Higher Education in October 2010.

Interview Details – The process was streamlined, it's more about who you know than what you put on paper.

Interview Question – Could you fire the man sitting next to you if you knew him all your life?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negation, just "When can you start"?

Instructor Interview

Instructor
Phila, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Kaplan Higher Education in April 2013.

Interview Details – This was ok due to the older administration, once it changed, the place became a dump!!

Interview Question – Why I am here?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – 123

Career Services Advisor Interview

Career Services Advisor
Cleveland, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kaplan Higher Education.

Interview Details – 1. Group Panel Interview
2. 2 on 1 interview
3. Final interview with directors

Interview Question – 1. How will you do things differently than the last person?   Answer Question

Career Services Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Kaplan Higher Education.

Interview Details – I've had 2 phone interviews from two different Kaplan recruiters for different positions within Career Services in the past 4 months. Phone interviewing is tough enough when you can't actually see (or read) the other person, but I get the feeling that being a Kaplan recruiter is pretty much a thankless, I-will-read-from-a-prepared-stock-script sort of job...because they're very robotic in their questioning. More specifically, and regrettably, they rarely seem to have the nuances of the positions they're actually interviewing people for. They'll often respond "Umm...that's a good question. You'll probably want to bring that up to campus staff if it gets that far." But, worst of all - and a professionally egregious offence - both recruiters told me that "you will hear back from ME within a week of this interview." Neither time did I hear back.

Psst...Kaplan...you might want to hire some new recruiters and re-tool your phone interviewing process. Better yet, save some money on "executive recruiters" and put the interviewing process into the hands at the folks at the campus level who will better know the types of candidates they're looking to hire.

Interview Question – What has been the biggest professional challenge in your career? (THAT is an extremely vague question...I thought it very odd for someone who has seen MANY "big professional challenges" over the course of my career)   Answer Question

Admissions Representative Interview

Admissions Representative
Harrisburg, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Kaplan Higher Education in May 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was very long. I met with the director of admissions three or four times. I also met with the campus direct and four other admissions reps. Meeting with the other reps was really helpful in terms of knowing if I would like the job.

Interview Question – I always think sales role playing questions are hard because theyre awkward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I got what I asked for which was on the higher end of what they were offering.

Criminal Justice Instructor Interview

Panorama City, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Kaplan Higher Education in August 2011.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by a panel to get a feel of my qualifications for the position and then I was asked to do a practice teaching session to show that I was able to teach. I thought the panel was professional and they were sincerely involved in the process and committed to the policies and procedures of the organization. Simply put they were dedicated educators.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Training Instructor Interview

Training Instructor
San Antonio, TX

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Kaplan Higher Education in July 2011.

Interview Details – Very organized, communication between departments was very evident, allowed for ease in processing paperwork, scheduling and followup visits. Friendly atmosphere, team building and proud of organization and its mission. Entire organization welcomes you as you come out for interview process, provide background, vision and commitment to the organization, and the customers it services.

Interview Questions

• How would you work to have a student return to campus after missing several days, how would you explain to them the importance of completing the program?   View Answer
  • What would you do if a student came to you in confidence to inform you they are the victim of spouse abuse?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No need to, salary offered was well in line with average for area. Appears they put emphasis on quality of candidates rather than lowest costs to organization.

Adjunct Instructor Interview

Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Kaplan Higher Education in August 2009.

Interview Details – There was One on One interviews with the Program Chair, Director of Education and Executive Director. After that there is a mock teach where given a subject you have to come up with a 5 minute presentation. In that time you will explain the subject to a room of staff as you would be a class of students. At that point they choose to hire but contingent upon passing an online instructor training that is provided.

You must complete 3 observations before you can teach but these observations can occur the same day by spending 1 hour each in three concurring classes.

Interview Questions

• What have you done in your career to make you a subject matter expert?   View Answer
  • What is you idea of profession conduct in the work place?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They barely let me know that Ii was hired and what the salary was. What you will need to considered is what you teach and when/how often the class occurs.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Kaplan Higher Education

Worked for Kaplan Higher Education? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kaplan Higher Education interview questions and advice. All 39 interview reviews posted anonymously by Kaplan Higher Education employees and interview candidates.