Kaplan Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2015

2.8

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

Associate Director emailed me to select a slot on their google calendar for an interview. Connected with the AD on Skype. The interview was virtual and lasted an hour. Have been told it is a four step process. I've only completed the first step (interview #1), so far. Interviewer was friendly and explained processes well.

ACT Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (Denver, CO) in July 2015.

Interview

Interview process was in 3 stages as described in other reviews. I passed the audition stage even though I ran out of the time for the second question. Very difficult to teach the prompt in 2 minutes. 2nd stage technical interview felt very strange to me, and the interviewer probably picked up on that. It's difficult to teach to someone over webcam. I had to teach 3 questions, incorporating feedback, in an interactive way and answer other questions like the one below. Most had to do with teaching but not all of them. When teaching the prompts I could tell the interviewer wanted me to be just like him but it was difficult to match his energy level and overall "goofyness." If I had to do it again, I would try to be as cheesy and goofy as possibly, throwing in bad jokes left and right, acting overly enthusiastic when the "student" gives the right answer. For the audition and technical interview, think of it as acting and not teaching and you'll get the job. Not my style, so I didn't get to the 3rd stage.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you arrived to teach class and the building was locked?   Answer Question

Kaplan Student Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY).

Interview

They hire from within first. They are big on referrals from employees. Interview style Casual / Basic. Group interview style. Each person asked a question. They you had to do a demonstration (teach something, convince them on something,etc. ) - you choose the topic.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Non negotiable. It started at that rate and no wiggle room really.

SAT Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (Boston, MA).

Interview

I've never experienced a more convoluted and time consuming interview process -- an "audition," followed by a "technical interview," followed by a standard interview. All steps are conducted electronically and by different offices which are seemingly unconnected. Too many people are involved for the process to be cohesive. After all of this, I was finally offered a position, but every class they offered for me to teach was 50 miles or more from the location where I applied, Long story short, apply to the Princeton Review.

GSS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Kaplan (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

They put up posters seeking for individuals interested in taking the GSS/SGS sessions, I sent in my resume and cover letter. I was called for a second interview which I am yet to attend.

PC Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan in March 2015.

Interview

3 step process. 1. Send in an "audition" explaining a simplistic SAT/ACT question. This is sent in along with a resumé and references 2. 1st interview: A more in depth version of the audition. You are asked to explain several test questions and lead the interviewer (acting as a student) through the process. Mostly an evaluation of your teaching ability 3. 2nd Interview: A more technical/formal interview. More personal interview questions ("Why do you want to work for Kaplan? Where do you see yourself in 6 months? etc.). All interviews and Auditions are online through Skype or Google.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a parent believes that a class is failing their son or daughter who is not seeing score improvements.   Answer Question

Admissions Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kaplan (Bakersfield, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

One interview over the phone and one in person interview. Very basic and simple. These folks are looking for someone who will make a lot of calls easy and is a sales person. Think sales interview.

Kaplan PT Instrctuor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Kaplan (Berkeley, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

The interview first entailed a 15-minute phone interview. After that, the recruiter requested a 15-minute demo in a live class. I was given a rough idea of what to expect, which was to arrive early enough to receive materials and content from the teacher whose class in which you are performing the demo. The demo was observed by the class teacher and the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• What makes you feel that you might be a good fit with Kaplan?   Answer Question

Standardized Patient Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

You are interviewed and you also audition to see if you are able to take a note that the director gives you in order to play the case more effectively.

Teacher/Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

There are three separate "interviews." The first is a video audition (~2 min). The second is an interview with a current tutor; you have to teach him or her a few problems and answer some questions. The third interview is with a hiring manager, and that covers more of your educational and previous work experience.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if someone you were tutoring had someone else sit in on your tutoring session?   Answer Question