Kaplan

Getting the Interview

48 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Instructor Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Kaplan.

Interview Details – You will be doing a 10 min teach back which can be on absolutely anything . Do not include personal info into your teach back . This will be in front of 6-7 head honchos you must be able pull into by interest in your topic. You should Bring props and make a PowerPoint if you can . Have ques ready for them as an instructor would . Good luck!!

Interview Question – How would you engage one student who was not interacting with the rest of class. Without being personal with them how would you help them help themsrlves   View Answer

Negotiation Details – If my background check and listed employers came back pos salary would be based on experience

ACT Instructor Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Kaplan in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online in July and was contacted within a week regarding my availability and salary expectations. 2 weeks later, I was emailed for an audition. Prior to the audition, I was emailed a test question to prepare and scheduled my audition for a week out to give myself adequate time to prepare.

The audition was done at home, then recorded and sent to Kaplan. A two minute presentation had to be prepared. I received an email inviting me to interview within 5 days, pending receipt of my ACT scores.

The interview was done in Google Hangouts. I think that this was primarily to gauge personality, enthusiasm, and communication skills. We talked a lot about favorite books and hobbies. My current position and experience was hardly mentioned.

About 10 days later, I was contacted for my final evaluation. This was the most difficult part of the hiring process. This interview was also held in a virtual space. Though four questions were emailed in advance, the interviewer asked that I present others, in addition to two of the questions from the aforementioned email. I was told that someone would be in touch within 10 business days, but I received an offer 12 hours later.

Interview Question – Your student is unable to prove that 28 is a perfect number. What is he likely to be doing wrong?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Educational Sales Interview

Interviewed at Kaplan

Interview Details – Application, phone screening from HR, in person interview with hiring manager. Several more interviews with additional influencers. Fly to corporate to meet with VPs and other area managers. Entire process can take six to eight weeks to complete. Background check, drug test, and final offer made once results have been submitted.

Interview Question – Typical interview questions. Why you? What do you bring to the table?   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Alpharetta, GA

I applied online - interviewed at Kaplan in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online for the staff accountant position, and about a week later I got an email requesting a phone interview. I responded the same day and set the interview up for the next day. The interview went well. He asked me questions based off of my resume. Questions like what were your duties at this position? Why do you want to work for Kaplan?

Interview Question – There wasn't any really difficult questions.   Answer Question

Accommodation Coordinator Interview

Burien, WA

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Kaplan in August 2013.

Interview Details – After applying on line I heard back from them asking for an interview within five days. I went in for the interview, and both the "School Director" (site director) and the incumbent in the position I was applying for interviewed me. It was a cordial interview and I thought it went well. They asked the normal sorts of questions. It pays about $20-22 and hour and is only 25 hours per week.

Interview Question – This position is working with students who are coming to the US to learn English and helping them plan where they'll stay and other logistics. They did ask how I would communicate with people if neither of us spoke any of the other's language. I had some strategies that they seemed satisfied with (but since I wasn't sure of their policies, that was a bit difficult. Interestingly they don't require that you speak specific languages for the job. They said that about 30% of their participants are Japanese.   View Answer

GMAT Instructor Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Kaplan.

Interview Details – They asked me to audition less than 24 hours after I applied. They asked me to interview less than 24 hours after I sent in my audition. Then they didn't get back to me about the interview for over 2 weeks. After I finally had the first interview they asked me to do the second interview and they would send me the details. They never did and I contacted my only contact there several times but never heard back again. Oh well.

Interview Question – How do you deal with challenges?   Answer Question

Kaplan PT Instrctuor Interview

Kaplan PT Instrctuor

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Kaplan in April 2013.

Interview Details – It was a weird process. I filled out an application where I submitted my resume. They liked my score enough to proceed with the audition where I had to film and upload a video of myself going over two questions for 2 minutes each. Once I passed the audition, they had me fill out another detailed application about my work experience with three references. I had a "virtual" interview where the hiring manager from NY arranged to talk to me on Google Hangout. She cancelled half an hour before the scheduled interview citing she was sick so we had to reschedule for next week. The interview was pretty bad. I could tell she wasn't really paying attention, and she didn't even have my video up on her screen (saw from the reflection of her glasses). It lasted 20 minutes, and apparently I needed to do another technical interview for my area if I passed this interview. Rejection was pretty swift so at least that's a positive.

Interview Question – How would you teach or encourage struggling students if they are not showing expected results? Apparently hard work isn't a good enough answer.   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Alpharetta, GA

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Kaplan in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter in early December 2012 for a phone interview and didn't hear back from them until mid-January for a personal interview with two Senior Accountants. The interview was quite casual, where the interviewers asked a series of behavioral questions and then questions based on what was on my resume. The interview lasted about an hour then I received a call from them on my way home to schedule an interview with the department's VP for the following week. The questions asked by the VP were mostly behavioral and also included questions regarding concerns I had about my ability to complete the tasks that will be required. I was told towards the end of the interview that they will make a decision the following week however I didn't hear back from them within the time frame mentioned and saw a few days later that the position was re-posted on the company's website. They called me with an offer about two weeks after my last interview.

Interview Question – Of the three candidates we are selecting from, why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The salary offered for the position was higher than expected however I received a higher offer from another company.

Very Easy Interview

UI Developer/Designer Interview

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Kaplan in December 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted via LinkedIn by the Kaplan recruiter, I replied and we had a phone interview first. Overall, very professional, straight to the point and questions were relevant to the position. We setup a second interview within the next 3 days to meet with 3 people, a director and two developers. As I arrived, I felt a bit uneasy because a couple of my answers on the phone interview were not at 100%, you know when you get the feeling, but nevertheless I decided to be positive and continue on the second phase. Now, before I get into details, let me just say that I read almost everyday articles related to the industry, keep up with trends, and know a thing or two about interviewing designers and developers, I have been doing so for almost 15 years now.

Here are the particulars, first of the room was very small with no visuals setup; secondly, one of the interviewers didn't show up; third, they came in opened-laptops-in-hand which tends to eliminate eye contact and actual human interaction; fourth, director left the room for another meeting 15 minutes after we started which leads me to believe they had already made up their minds about not hiring me; fifth, they lied to me.

I understand that we are in times were time is one of the most precious assets, to me is invaluable because I hold a full time job, I freelance and I am a father of multiples. I said they lied to me because they told me that the decision would be made in early January to give time for more interviews, after sending a thank you email to the recruiter the next day, he replied that they decided to go with another candidate. Well, I would understand that they interviewed they best candidate after me, but then I see that they have re-posted the job at multiple job sites which means they are still interviewing.

I have already spent enough time here telling you my story. I believe Kaplan is a great organization and they are doing top notch advances in the Education industry. The reason why this wen down this way, and I was not told right away or getting a courtesy email, would the recruiter had send me the dismissive reply regardless of my thank you message? It does not matter, what matters is that be Kaplan, Google, GM, ABC, Disney; job seekers should not get discouraged, do not fall of the workforce because they say no, if you fall ten times then ten times you get back up.

Interview Question – None really, if you know what you do. They were all standard questions for UI. I do recall them asking me about my biggest challenge in past work.   View Answer

MCAT Instructor Interview

Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Kaplan.

Interview Details – Hiring process consists of online audition where you "teach" a sample question, followed by a one on one interview. The interview is less than half an hour and consists of two parts, asking questions and explaining aspects of the job and training. Very friendly and engaging conversation. The interviewer had plenty of experience with Kaplan and it was easy to see his own passion for working with the company.

Interview Questions

• What did you think of your audition?   View Answer
  • What do you expect to get out of teaching and what do you foresee to be the biggest challenge of teaching?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Kaplan

Worked for Kaplan? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kaplan interview questions and advice. All 48 interview reviews posted anonymously by Kaplan employees and interview candidates.