Kaplan Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.8

ACT Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan (Denver, CO) in July 2015.

Interview

Interview process was in 3 stages as described in other reviews. I passed the audition stage even though I ran out of the time for the second question. Very difficult to teach the prompt in 2 minutes. 2nd stage technical interview felt very strange to me, and the interviewer probably picked up on that. It's difficult to teach to someone over webcam. I had to teach 3 questions, incorporating feedback, in an interactive way and answer other questions like the one below. Most had to do with teaching but not all of them. When teaching the prompts I could tell the interviewer wanted me to be just like him but it was difficult to match his energy level and overall "goofyness." If I had to do it again, I would try to be as cheesy and goofy as possibly, throwing in bad jokes left and right, acting overly enthusiastic when the "student" gives the right answer. For the audition and technical interview, think of it as acting and not teaching and you'll get the job. Not my style, so I didn't get to the 3rd stage.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you arrived to teach class and the building was locked?   Answer Question

Kaplan Student Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY).

Interview

They hire from within first. They are big on referrals from employees. Interview style Casual / Basic. Group interview style. Each person asked a question. They you had to do a demonstration (teach something, convince them on something,etc. ) - you choose the topic.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Non negotiable. It started at that rate and no wiggle room really.

SAT Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan (Boston, MA).

Interview

I've never experienced a more convoluted and time consuming interview process -- an "audition," followed by a "technical interview," followed by a standard interview. All steps are conducted electronically and by different offices which are seemingly unconnected. Too many people are involved for the process to be cohesive. After all of this, I was finally offered a position, but every class they offered for me to teach was 50 miles or more from the location where I applied, Long story short, apply to the Princeton Review.

GSS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Kaplan (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

They put up posters seeking for individuals interested in taking the GSS/SGS sessions, I sent in my resume and cover letter. I was called for a second interview which I am yet to attend.

Admissions Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Kaplan (Bakersfield, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

One interview over the phone and one in person interview. Very basic and simple. These folks are looking for someone who will make a lot of calls easy and is a sales person. Think sales interview.

Kaplan PT Instrctuor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Kaplan (Berkeley, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

The interview first entailed a 15-minute phone interview. After that, the recruiter requested a 15-minute demo in a live class. I was given a rough idea of what to expect, which was to arrive early enough to receive materials and content from the teacher whose class in which you are performing the demo. The demo was observed by the class teacher and the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• What makes you feel that you might be a good fit with Kaplan?   Answer Question

Standardized Patient Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

You are interviewed and you also audition to see if you are able to take a note that the director gives you in order to play the case more effectively.

Teacher/Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

There are three separate "interviews." The first is a video audition (~2 min). The second is an interview with a current tutor; you have to teach him or her a few problems and answer some questions. The third interview is with a hiring manager, and that covers more of your educational and previous work experience.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if someone you were tutoring had someone else sit in on your tutoring session?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

Had a Human Resource phone screen that was very lengthy. After that, a face-to-face interview was scheduled. There was more than on person for the interview and walk through the campus.

ESL Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

They had me do a mock lesson as an interview. I thought it was pretty much a question of hiring me or not - I didn't realize that my hourly pay would also be set based on what they perceived my ability to be and never change after that. Anyway, if you apply here, bring all you have to impress them in the mock lesson: make it student-centered and communicative. And it is probably best to make it something for advanced students as Kaplan has a lot of more advanced students.

Negotiation

When I got the job offer I was surprised at the hourly rate they paid as it was significantly less than I would have expected. However I assumed that it would be the same for every new teacher. Later I realized that most of my coworkers make a couple bucks more than me per hour and getting any kind of raise is pretty much a joke. That is pretty frustrating. I wish I had thought of trying to negotiate at all.