Kaplan Interview Questions

Updated Jul 25, 2014
Updated Jul 25, 2014

2.7

Kaplan PT Instrctuor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan in April 2013.

It was a weird process. I filled out an application where I submitted my resume. They liked my score enough to proceed with the audition where I had to film and upload a video of myself going over two questions for 2 minutes each. Once I passed the audition, they had me fill out another detailed application about my work experience with three references. I had a "virtual" interview where the hiring manager from NY arranged to talk to me on Google Hangout. She cancelled half an hour before the scheduled interview citing she was sick so we had to reschedule for next week. The interview was pretty bad. I could tell she wasn't really paying attention, and she didn't even have my video up on her screen (saw from the reflection of her glasses). It lasted 20 minutes, and apparently I needed to do another technical interview for my area if I passed this interview. Rejection was pretty swift so at least that's a positive.

Interview Questions
    • How would you teach or encourage struggling students if they are not showing expected results? Apparently hard work isn't a good enough answer.   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Kaplan in January 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter in early December 2012 for a phone interview and didn't hear back from them until mid-January for a personal interview with two Senior Accountants. The interview was quite casual, where the interviewers asked a series of behavioral questions and then questions based on what was on my resume. The interview lasted about an hour then I received a call from them on my way home to schedule an interview with the department's VP for the following week. The questions asked by the VP were mostly behavioral and also included questions regarding concerns I had about my ability to complete the tasks that will be required. I was told towards the end of the interview that they will make a decision the following week however I didn't hear back from them within the time frame mentioned and saw a few days later that the position was re-posted on the company's website. They called me with an offer about two weeks after my last interview.

Interview Questions
    • Of the three candidates we are selecting from, why should we hire you?   Answer Question

The salary offered for the position was higher than expected however I received a higher offer from another company.

UI Developer/Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Kaplan in December 2012.

I was contacted via LinkedIn by the Kaplan recruiter, I replied and we had a phone interview first. Overall, very professional, straight to the point and questions were relevant to the position. We setup a second interview within the next 3 days to meet with 3 people, a director and two developers. As I arrived, I felt a bit uneasy because a couple of my answers on the phone interview were not at 100%, you know when you get the feeling, but nevertheless I decided to be positive and continue on the second phase. Now, before I get into details, let me just say that I read almost everyday articles related to the industry, keep up with trends, and know a thing or two about interviewing designers and developers, I have been doing so for almost 15 years now.

Here are the particulars, first of the room was very small with no visuals setup; secondly, one of the interviewers didn't show up; third, they came in opened-laptops-in-hand which tends to eliminate eye contact and actual human interaction; fourth, director left the room for another meeting 15 minutes after we started which leads me to believe they had already made up their minds about not hiring me; fifth, they lied to me.

I understand that we are in times were time is one of the most precious assets, to me is invaluable because I hold a full time job, I freelance and I am a father of multiples. I said they lied to me because they told me that the decision would be made in early January to give time for more interviews, after sending a thank you email to the recruiter the next day, he replied that they decided to go with another candidate. Well, I would understand that they interviewed they best candidate after me, but then I see that they have re-posted the job at multiple job sites which means they are still interviewing.

I have already spent enough time here telling you my story. I believe Kaplan is a great organization and they are doing top notch advances in the Education industry. The reason why this wen down this way, and I was not told right away or getting a courtesy email, would the recruiter had send me the dismissive reply regardless of my thank you message? It does not matter, what matters is that be Kaplan, Google, GM, ABC, Disney; job seekers should not get discouraged, do not fall of the workforce because they say no, if you fall ten times then ten times you get back up.

Interview Questions
    • None really, if you know what you do. They were all standard questions for UI. I do recall them asking me about my biggest challenge in past work.   View Answer

MCAT Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan.

Hiring process consists of online audition where you "teach" a sample question, followed by a one on one interview. The interview is less than half an hour and consists of two parts, asking questions and explaining aspects of the job and training. Very friendly and engaging conversation. The interviewer had plenty of experience with Kaplan and it was easy to see his own passion for working with the company.

Interview Questions
    • What did you think of your audition?   View Answer
    • What do you expect to get out of teaching and what do you foresee to be the biggest challenge of teaching?   View Answer

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vista, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vista, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan.

had three interviews the last interview is with the president of the school and they ask you things about how you handled work related problems with co workers simple questions about why you want to work there and if you know how the college runs.

Interview Questions
    • how did you handle complaints in your previous work place?   Answer Question
    they give you a piece of paper and tell you this is going to be your salary not much to negotiate

Admissions Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan in January 2012.

First there was a a phone interview with a recruiter. I then was emailed a link to take a series of tests mostly concerning spelling, nouns, adverbs....this took about an hour to complete. The recruiter called me and said I did very well and invited me in for a 1 on 1. I felt this interview went well and was invited for a second with the Director and Supervisor (2 on 1).
    They alternated with questions that were read directly from a sheet of paper. Most questions were geared towards how I handled situations with previous clients.

Interview Questions
    • When you disagreed with your manager in the past how did you deal with it?   View Answer
    • How would you deal with a customer that was upset with you.   View Answer

Oracle Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Kaplan in July 2011.

Applied online, got a call from HR within a couple of days, generic questions such why do you want to make a move, what makes you a good employee etc, then setup a call with IT Manager. 2 rounds of technical interview with the same person. First was a telephonic interview, questions to understand how good the candidate is with Oracle ERP, second was a webconference kind of interview in which interviewer asked me to navigate Oracle screens and similar stuff. Than they spoke to the references i provided, setup a call with Director, very generic questions, it was more of a discussion. Sent offer letter within 2 days.

Not much, very minimal hike from the original offer.

Part Time GMAT Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan in April 2011.

The hiring process has four stages. First you submit an application with your resume online. If the HR find your background is a good fit for the position, they invite you to audition. The audition is online based and you are required to choose one topic according to what kind of instructor you are applying for. They will give three topics for you to choose one. All topics are questions you may meet in GMAT/GRE. The audition is a group activity and lasts about 1.5 hours, but your audition is limited to 7 minutes. You will listen to other's audition and interact to they questions. The audition is the most important part. If you pass the audition, a faculty manager will interview you one-to-one. The interview lasts about half an hour and it is not difficult. The interviewer want to know about your teaching background and how you think you can teach in kaplan. After you pass the interview, the last step is training. Actually, in the training, you are paid minimum rate. The training lasts 5 weeks and after you pass the training, you will be assigned classes!

Interview Questions
    • What is your teaching experience   Answer Question
    • What challenges you think you may have in classroom?   Answer Question
    • What do you think is the difference between teaching big students and little kids?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Technical Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kaplan in January 2011.

The interview was fairly easy. They called me first and took a brief interview over the phone. I was called for an in person interview. Two people from the level 2 support (I believe) took the interview. It went fairly well and they said they'd get back to me very soon. I heard back from them after two weeks saying that the role had not materialized yet.

SAT Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Kaplan in July 2010.

very simple 5 minute presentation