Kaplan Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2015

2.8

Teacher/Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

There are three separate "interviews." The first is a video audition (~2 min). The second is an interview with a current tutor; you have to teach him or her a few problems and answer some questions. The third interview is with a hiring manager, and that covers more of your educational and previous work experience.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if someone you were tutoring had someone else sit in on your tutoring session?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

Had a Human Resource phone screen that was very lengthy. After that, a face-to-face interview was scheduled. There was more than on person for the interview and walk through the campus.

ESL Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

They had me do a mock lesson as an interview. I thought it was pretty much a question of hiring me or not - I didn't realize that my hourly pay would also be set based on what they perceived my ability to be and never change after that. Anyway, if you apply here, bring all you have to impress them in the mock lesson: make it student-centered and communicative. And it is probably best to make it something for advanced students as Kaplan has a lot of more advanced students.

Negotiation

When I got the job offer I was surprised at the hourly rate they paid as it was significantly less than I would have expected. However I assumed that it would be the same for every new teacher. Later I realized that most of my coworkers make a couple bucks more than me per hour and getting any kind of raise is pretty much a joke. That is pretty frustrating. I wish I had thought of trying to negotiate at all.

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kaplan (Alpharetta, GA) in January 2014.

Interview

Well the interview process was not very difficult. They emailed shortly after I applied to set up interview time. He called and asked some questions about my experience and goals. Also where do I see myself type question.

Interview Questions

• Where do I see myself in the next 5 years?   1 Answer

Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

You will be doing a 10 min teach back which can be on absolutely anything . Do not include personal info into your teach back . This will be in front of 6-7 head honchos you must be able pull into by interest in your topic. You should Bring props and make a PowerPoint if you can . Have ques ready for them as an instructor would . Good luck!!

Interview Questions

• How would you engage one student who was not interacting with the rest of class. Without being personal with them how would you help them help themsrlves   1 Answer

Negotiation

If my background check and listed employers came back pos salary would be based on experience

Educational Sales Interview

Interview

Application, phone screening from HR, in person interview with hiring manager. Several more interviews with additional influencers. Fly to corporate to meet with VPs and other area managers. Entire process can take six to eight weeks to complete. Background check, drug test, and final offer made once results have been submitted.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions. Why you? What do you bring to the table?   Answer Question

GMAT Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

They asked me to audition less than 24 hours after I applied. They asked me to interview less than 24 hours after I sent in my audition. Then they didn't get back to me about the interview for over 2 weeks. After I finally had the first interview they asked me to do the second interview and they would send me the details. They never did and I contacted my only contact there several times but never heard back again. Oh well.

Accommodation Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burien, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Kaplan (Burien, WA) in August 2013.

Interview

After applying on line I heard back from them asking for an interview within five days. I went in for the interview, and both the "School Director" (site director) and the incumbent in the position I was applying for interviewed me. It was a cordial interview and I thought it went well. They asked the normal sorts of questions. It pays about $20-22 and hour and is only 25 hours per week.

Interview Questions

• This position is working with students who are coming to the US to learn English and helping them plan where they'll stay and other logistics. They did ask how I would communicate with people if neither of us spoke any of the other's language. I had some strategies that they seemed satisfied with (but since I wasn't sure of their policies, that was a bit difficult. Interestingly they don't require that you speak specific languages for the job. They said that about 30% of their participants are Japanese.   1 Answer

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kaplan (Alpharetta, GA) in July 2013.

Interview

I applied online for the staff accountant position, and about a week later I got an email requesting a phone interview. I responded the same day and set the interview up for the next day. The interview went well. He asked me questions based off of my resume. Questions like what were your duties at this position? Why do you want to work for Kaplan?

ACT Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan in July 2013.

Interview

I applied online in July and was contacted within a week regarding my availability and salary expectations. 2 weeks later, I was emailed for an audition. Prior to the audition, I was emailed a test question to prepare and scheduled my audition for a week out to give myself adequate time to prepare. The audition was done at home, then recorded and sent to Kaplan. A two minute presentation had to be prepared. I received an email inviting me to interview within 5 days, pending receipt of my ACT scores. The interview was done in Google Hangouts. I think that this was primarily to gauge personality, enthusiasm, and communication skills. We talked a lot about favorite books and hobbies. My current position and experience was hardly mentioned. About 10 days later, I was contacted for my final evaluation. This was the most difficult part of the hiring process. This interview was also held in a virtual space. Though four questions were emailed in advance, the interviewer asked that I present others, in addition to two of the questions from the aforementioned email. I was told that someone would be in touch within 10 business days, but I received an offer 12 hours later.

Interview Questions

• Your student is unable to prove that 28 is a perfect number. What is he likely to be doing wrong?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Take it or leave it.