Kaplan

2.8

SAT Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Kaplan in July 2010.

very simple 5 minute presentation

SAT Teacher Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Kaplan in June 2009.

First an audition, in which you do a 5 minute presentation on a How-To subject. They evaluate you to see if you can actually teach a class. If you pass that, then an interview. Normal one-on-one interview with the hiring manager. If you pass that then you're, and the training (paid) begins. You have to pass the training too in order to actually teach.

Interview Questions
    • What are your weaknesses/ What problems do you personally see might occur in the class room?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Kaplan in May 2009.

The process was extrremely long. I traveled to several different out of town locations at my expense. They never offered to pick up the bill for the travel until I asked. I had phone interviews, panel interviews, and interviews with higher ups only to get a phone call stating that I did not get the job. When I asked why they said they could not tell me. I've never experienced that before. One positive, their recruiters were great. I would have liked to work for the company but found the process a little unprofessional.

Student Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan in May 2009.

I had an immediate e-mail response when I replied via Craigslist. The Center Manager asked to schedule a phone interview for the next day. The phone interview lasted about twenty minutes and the questions were fairly canned and scripted. At the end of it I was invited for a face-to-face interview to take place the following week.

The face-to-face interview was fairly bland, and they didn't ask very difficult questions. It was hard to elicit any kind of smile or friendliness out of the manager. The marketing coordinator also was there, and she brought a little life into the interview, but not much. They essentially laid out the job conditions and wanted to know if I was OK with them.

They waited a week to extend an offer to "interview other candidates."

Interview Questions
    • How do you motivate yourself in challenging situations?   Answer Question

I did a lot of research on the company and decided I didn't care for their product enough to market it.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan in January 2009.

Initial phone interview with someone from the national office who was "weeding out" applicants. Passed that and had an in-person interview with the Center Manager the following week. A few days later, I did a presentation for the Center Manager, followed by a phone interview with the Area Director. Later that week, I had a third and final phone interview with the Regional Marketing Director. Each person had very positive things to say. The final step was a background check, which took a long and nerve-wracking seven-ten days. After that came back positive, I was called and offered the position, which I accepted. The office was slightly unorganized and it had just been robbed, but everyone I spoke to was extremely friendly. The work hours were flexible and the attire was business casual.

Interview Questions
    • Give a time where you had a difficult customer service experience and how you handled it.   View Answer
    I had interviewed for a similar position with the same company in Chicago, and the salary was not up for negotiation. The salary for the position in College Station was higher and I really liked the job description, so I did not negotiate. I truly enjoy working for Kaplan and there is a lot of opportunity to learn and grow with the company. Take the offer!!!

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Kaplan in October 2008.

I interviewed for MCAT specialist. Kaplan appears to be always interested in hiring this difficult-to-fill position. Had to take the MCAT pre-test and have good scores, present a short, non-academic lecture, but was welcomed and treated well.

This job is part-time, irregular hours. It is suitable for a high school science teacher, a grad student, or a bright, scientifically-minded stay-home-Mom (as I was.)

One thing to watch for is that you spend 1-2 hours prepping for each hour you work, and the prep hours are paid at $7/hour. It lowers the overall dollars per hour rate that you are earning, but if you're a teacher, you're already used to doing much of that same prep work for free, so $7/hour is a bonus.

Interview Questions
    • Having to prepare a 3-5 minute non-academic presentation was a bit of work. They really want it to be non-academic.   View Answer

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Kaplan in September 2008.

Interview consists of one teaching presentation and interview with academic manager. If you look confident in front of the audience, and are qualified to teach the exams through your own test scores, you have the job.

Student Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kaplan in September 2008.

The hiring process was pretty simple. Interviews are hard to come by however if you live in a college town because people will take the good jobs when they are freshman and won't leave from them until they graduate. It was one interview and I would say as long as you are friendly and look put together the job is yours.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you a bad candidate for this position?   View Answer

Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mission, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mission, KS

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan in April 2008.

The "Center Manager" is the person who will do your interview. He was the person who called me about a week or so before. I think the standards are low because the pay is low, but they still have to have someone there who will be there alone, so the person has to be at least reliable. He ask me simple questions, and asked me a few things about my resume.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have Customer Service experience?   View Answer
    • How did your past experiences help your customer service?   View Answer
    He told me everyone who takes this position starts at $7.00USD/ hour, and told me I would never get a raise. This turned out to be wrong as the "Center Director" gave me a $1 raise after six months.

Kaplan Student Advisor Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kaplan in October 2007.

the center director interviewed me one on one. i have to submit a resume and sign several forms (typical agree to background check, non-compete, etc.). i got a call a couple days later saying she was interested in hiring me, when could i start. etc, etc.

no negotiation